5 Considerations when sending a young player out on loan

Raikan007

Reaction score
This is not my guide, all thanks go to Thomas Levin from FM pundit. I have edited and added to it in parts.

When developing your young players to become the future of you club, you take good care of them while they are in your walls. But one strategy of developing these players quicker is to send them on loan for first team experience elsewhere. Therefore you will want the same level of care given to your players when away from the club. It is a good idea to evaluate the side they are leaving for just as much as you would your own training schedules.

1. Will your player get into the first team?

Gaining first team experience has to be the most important aspect of loaning a player out. If the player isn’t going to get regular time on the pitch then they will be better staying with you, with you controlling how much time the player gets in the first team. Consider where they are going to fit into the squad you send them out too. How good are the other players in comparison to your own? When sending your players out on loan for free you will want something in terms of value back, ie regular game time and a stats increase.

2. Send players to playable leagues

The way that Football Manager works when processing non playable leagues, or those not on full detail is to generate results based mainly on the reputation of the clubs involved to save processing power and keep DB size to a minimum. The lack of detail that the game processes in terms of match data will affect the development of the loanee, so the more detail that goes through each game the better it will be for developing your young players.

3. Training facilities

When sending a player out on loan you will want him to develop much quicker then he would if he stayed at home. Once a young player hits 18 or 19, he will be looking to gain first team experience and quickly accelerate his attributes to push for a first team place with you. The better the training facilities he uses, the more likely it is that his attributes will rise quicker. To send him to a club that has substantially poorer training facilities than you might be counter productive, and he may be better off staying with you.

4. Coaching Staff

You will want to trust that your young players are in expert hands when they are away from the club. Take a look at the coaching staff before you allow the player to leave, the coach calculator ( FM Coach Calculator ) can give you an idea of how many stars they will have in training. It is most important that they have a balanced team of coaches that will allow development in different areas for your young players. But if you spend alot of time developing your own coaching team, you don’t want that time wasted with the young player experiencing substandard coaching elsewhere.
I think that it would be great if you were able to gain friendships and connections with other coaches, interact with them to ask the coach to concentrate on the development of certain areas when training your player. This may work as a real pull factor when you want to loan people yourself, making agreements to take good players on in order to use the expertise at your club, another way coaching could be improved.

5. Affiliation links

It is handy to consider all of the above when looking for feeder clubs for your side. Having a variety of feeder clubs to loan players out to could make it much easier to work in your own player development strategy, by sending players at different levels of ability to clubs in different leagues. If these clubs are able to offer balanced coaching with reasonable training facilities to develop a young player, whilst giving plenty of first team action to him it is much easier to handle your development strategy using affiliations.
Loaning players can be of considerable benefit to the clubs that get an extra player to bolster their squad. But loans should also have a benefit for you, to help squad management and development when looking for long term success.

What do you look for when loaning out your player?

Do you consider the way your player is able to develop at different types of clubs? What do you look for in the loaning teams squad before accepting bids? Please share your tips on loaning players out or discuss the ones above in the comment section below!

Thank you so much for giving information how to choose a young player on loan. the five thing you have pointed you is very clear and easy for me to follow. I will remember it as on of my exercises. I just want to add that the most important for a player is the attitude that he pay to the football career.

ermmm is it alright if i lend him out to a team like swindon

Swindon are an excellent team to loan to. They are in a lower league without a great squad, so your players should play. And because Swindon has recently been further up the leagues they have pretty decent facilities

Should I send player to a team with average training facilities but where he would be in starting 11?
O should I keep him ? He is 17

is there a way u can find out what training level facilities clubs have before loaning out?im sure i send majority out to clubs with poor training facilities

I have a young sub keeper, (is actually third best but he is young so favour over the aging 2nd best), but what is the best option for me.
A. Keep him as sub, and play in cup games/the occasional league game (perhaps only apearing in 5 games)
B. put him in the reserves, so he can get more game time.
C. Still sub, but available for reserves.
D. I offered out on Loan, and all Came back as being backup (in second tiers e.g Seria B, Champions etc) some have better facilities then me though, would acepting these be the better option?

I have a young sub keeper, (is actually third best but he is young so favour over the aging 2nd best), but what is the best option for me.
A. Keep him as sub, and play in cup games/the occasional league game (perhaps only apearing in 5 games)
B. put him in the reserves, so he can get more game time.
C. Still sub, but available for reserves.
D. I offered out on Loan, and all Came back as being backup (in second tiers e.g Seria B, Champions etc) some have better facilities then me though, would acepting these be the better option?
I would personally reccomend C as he will get the vital first team experience from A that he won't get with B or D and still gets plenty of game time even if in the reserves. Also the difference in training facilities will only be a small difference and your training schedules should be able to make up some of that difference.

Thank you so much for giving information how to choose a young player on loan.
g.gif

I have a career with Montpellier and I'm in my 2nd season and I have a great AM midfield prospect (he's 15 and labelled as the next 'Belhanda'). What do you reckon I do with him ? Leave him in my u19s until he's about 17,18,19 then loan him out, or, loan him out now to a significantly weaker team from the French 'National' league (the French Blue Square Premier) ? Any advice would be great ! Thanks !