Reaction score
Hello guys!

I have tried to set up a defence, using either 2 wing backs, 2 CB and a sweeper, or 2 WB, 2CB and a libero....never succesful. I have played the CB”s as stoppers, both of them with a sweeper behind, with a stopper, a cover and a libero, did not work. The only real rock-solid defence I ever had was with 2 FB, a stopper and a cover, playing deep. But as a huge fan of Brasil 2002 World Champions, I am still not giving up with my ”5 players in defence” idea. Anyone ever been succesful with that? Any advice? Thanks in advance! By the way....usually, I play with the Spurs.

It's an unconventional formation. Probably requires a lot of time for the team to gel. As for 3 CBs, I've had success with 3-5-2 / 3-4-3 but never used 5 defenders.

Well, the wingbacks are not what you may call full-time defenders, particularly when you play them with support duty. So the 5-3-2 could be a little misleading. In your 3-5-2 system, what roles did you have for the 5 midfielders? And the 3 defenders were all CB”s?

Ive had great success with a tactic on OVERLOAD with 1SW behind 2 cbs with two wingbacks. Then a BWM Defend and DM Defend then an AM Support then a CF Attack and a Poacher attack,

In my Celtic save I play with

GK
CB
CB
CB
RWB
LWB
CM
CM
CM
AMC
ST

Five defenders, a boat load of success, Two CL finals, one victory, 6 consecutive SPL's, Club World Championships, AFCON with Ghana.

Incidentally has anybody had success with a flat back 5? ie 3 cbs two fbs?

I play with 5 man defence always
I use two wing backs on attack.
two CBs who are ball playing defenders
and one limited defender between or a sweeper behind.

it's worked with Liverpool, dortmund, PSG, roma, reggina (with some tweaks) and anji.

it's very tight so long as you get the right players for each position
there's a tactic on here called sweeper 352. it was what got me started and since I've changed and tweaked and made my own variations depending on what I'm trying to do.

Incidentally has anybody had success with a flat back 5? ie 3 cbs two fbs?

I used a counter-attacking 5-3-2 to win the Europa League with Bradford City when in League 1... But I only used it in the Europa League, and I had a **** of a lot of luck! (Defensively it was incredibly sound, but struggled to make use of possession.)

I used a counter-attacking 5-3-2 to win the Europa League with Bradford City when in League 1... But I only used it in the Europa League, and I had a **** of a lot of luck! (Defensively it was incredibly sound, but struggled to make use of possession.)

I wonder what such a formation would do with Overload ...

Thanks guys, for your responses. I must say, I never tried to play with 3 CBs in line, with different roles, I might give it a shot. Also, using 3 CM sounds interesting, but using a BWM and a defensive one, plus 3 CBs looks a bit too defensive for my taste. :)

If you play with wing backs your flat back 3 will get exposed by wing attack opposition. For this reason I think its better to have 2cbs and a sweeper behind them.