richie tea

Reaction score
...continued.
Pre-season. 2012-13
So having finished 8th in my first season as the W.B.A manager and lifting the league cup I've had to work hard in close and pre-season in order to prepare for what lies ahead and ensuring the squad is strong enough to cope with 4 competitions. A few players have moved on that were deemed surplus to requirements and players in the last year of their contracts have been rewarded with new ones or moved on. I finished the last season adamant I need a goalkeeper and left back as a matter of priority.

Objectives= sign a gk - sign a winger thats quick and inside forward potential - sign a left back - get through the groups in europa league, stick to wage structure.

My idea is to run the club with key players on no more than 40k per week and the rest 30k and under per week. This is until the club progress in making more money in sponsorship and better deals. The club is only around 3-4 months away from a new capacity of 38,000 at the Hawthorns after the near completion of there 11,000 extra seats. Training facilities have seen investment and now new for this season are the improvement of youth facilities at the club.

Having met with the board they were over the moon with 2011-2012 season and are hoping to see steady progress. They are delighted with the wage control and have given me a 15m transfer budget.

Transfers out and reasons
View attachment 268486
Martin Fulop - 1.5m - Was second choice behind the loaned Ben foster last season and 1.5m too good to turn down for an average player.
James Morrison - 4.2m Never really featured in my plans heavily in my first season and the price is exceptionally good for a back up.
Matias Cahais - 2m - Great profit for a player signed one year ago for 700k. Had trouble settling.
Simon *** - 2.7m - Back up from the very start and short of the required quality.
Nickey Shorey - 100k - In and out of the side and terrible when in it! A lot of goals conceded coming from poor defending at left back. 25k p/w wage gone!
Craig Dawson - 4.5m - Although I rated him as a really steady youngster that would have maybe got a chance he was unsettled by lack of opportunities in my first season. The offer from villa too good to refuse.
Somen Tchoyi - 1.3m - Never held regular place and didn't fit in to systems I play.
Zoltan Gera - 500k - 32 years old and 25k wage gone.
Gonzalo Jara - Released, nowhere near plans.
Ruben Yttergard Jenssen - 7.25m - Asked for rise in wages after less than one year at club. bought for 1m moved on for a massive profit. Never really nailed down a regular starting spot.
Adil Nabi - Let out on loan for a month for first team experience.
Donervon Daniels, Saido Berahino and James Hurst - All sent out on season long loans to affiliate club Port Vale.
Transfers In
View attachment 268507
I have chosen to go with loans as the players I have short listed and scouted thoroughly aren't available. I lost out to Barca for Rene Adler on a Bosman. I have started the season quite worryingly with just Boaz Myhill. I was happy to go with just Danny Wilson as a loaned DC but then Jonas Olsson rocked the club when he decided he wasn't going to sign a new contract so I managed to bring in Bonnucci from Juventus on loan . Jonas Olsson will now be sold in January for the best price, the club wont give in to his 94k per week wage demands. Getting 7.25m for Ruben Yttergard Jenssen I dipped in to my short list for a direct replacement in Jem Karacen again making money and with a low wage. Having looked and scouted hard for a winger capable of playing an inside forward role I jumped straight on Long time target Adam Johnson when he decided he needed to leave City for first team football, I competed with Everton for his signature. I'm waiting on David Ospina in January to hopefully see he won't sign a new contract with Nice and steal him on a Bosman. If not I will look at buying him or Rafael of santos or Taking a chance on a young keeper at least and keeping faith. Other than that I will just look to get the best deal I can for Olsson in order to bring in permanently a new DC.

Potential January/end of season signings.

One of these GK's
1-David Ospina
2-Tim Krul
3-Rafael

One of these DC's
1-Danny Wilson
2-Leonardo Bonucci
3-Kurt Zouma
4-Aymen Abdennour
5-Kara

Pre season results
View attachment 268490
View attachment 268489
Pre-season I have given everybody game time. Had to negotiate having Europa league qualifiers in the mix as well as including new signings.
Europa League Qualifiers
View attachment 268495View attachment 268491View attachment 268492
Flew through with unexpected ease as you never know what these sort of ties will throw up when your a first time in europe sort of team. Very impressed with the loan signings and the new youngster Babacar.

The season so far...
View attachment 268544 Delighted with the improvement in the defence. Have defended deep at the start of this season to try improve on the awful defensive record of last season.

tactics...
View attachment 268547 Team ready set up for a league cup game(weakened).
View attachment 268553 View attachment 268556 Other tactics used (obviously haven't moved players around to proper positions, just the shape).

More results and news...
View attachment 268822View attachment 268821
I'm now in early November and going really well. Still have a month to finalise plans for a replacement for Jonas Olsson though I'm happy with what I've got on loan to cover until the summer if I have to wait. I made wholesale changes for the injury time defeat to wolves in the league cup as my players were in a run on 5 games in 15 days. Boaz Myhill continues to impress in goal and only 2 months away from the transfer window, long term target David Ospina still hasn't signed a new contract with his club. I have done some scouting and working on finding some 15 year olds to produce a quality yth set up.

Delighted to say that I have been near filling and sometimes filled the new capacity of 38,000 that is great news for the club and generating more money to compete at the top level. The aim now has to be playing european football season in season out.

More results, news and views...
View attachment 269358View attachment 269359
So a few more games on and still hanging in there. Delighted with the improvement in defence since last season although the clean sheets have dried up. Jonas Olsson has now gone for 8m, got the best deal i could for the club seen as he wouldn't sign a new contract! My plan of waiting until January has paid off and I'm really pleased David Ospina has agreed to come on a Bosman free transfer on 30k p/w on a 4 year deal. The league form went a little iffy as players were tired but managed to play a really week team including youth players away at Dinamo Kiev as was already qualified. I got drawn with Lille in the first knock out round which is a really big ask. I am trying to sign a DC in january permanently but if not I'm happy to wait until the end of the season to put a few targets together.
View attachment 269360 View attachment 269361
I'm delighted with my finances, this season so far I've made the club 20m in transfer activity as well as take the club forward and running of an amazing wage bill.
View attachment 269365 View attachment 269366 View attachment 269367
Really proud of the net spend and league position though the fans have been promised 2-3 signings if the right players for the club are available between now and the summer!

currently looking for DC - WINGER/INSIDE FORWARD - GK(GOT) - LEFT BACK (PERMANETLY)
Selected short listed targets.
Kara
Ospina
Gaitan
Neil Taylor
Bonucci
Destro
Caulker
Kurt Zouma
Joe Allen
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Gaston Ramirez
Luc Castaignon
Sturridge
Shaqiri
Wijnaldum
From start of me taking over till present.
money spent on transfers/loans - 18.5m
money brought in transfers/loans - 46.5m

Last edited:
Nice 1st season there fella! :)

Being a Baggie myself it's nice to see a story about us. Can't wait for FM 13 with the squad we have now xD

Hopefully Daniels can become as good as he did for me, turned into a right little belter of a CB along with Dawson.

i know its your story but you bought a lot of loans in saying how many players you sold

i know its your story but you bought a lot of loans in saying how many players you sold

Yeah pal because the players I want aren't available...you'll see a couple of permanent transfers in january. I'm trying to run it as realistic as possible in the sense aren't overpaying players wages etc as I'm WBA. I have a short list of exactly who I want and don't wan't too waste money and miss out on those players, nothing wrong with exploiting the loan market. Any players you guys know of I'm happy to take suggestions :)

I let Dawson go mate. I did have plans to keep him but by the end of season one he wasn't happy because of lack of game time and when villa bid 4.5m it was a great offer. I'm hoping to make Danny Wilson's loan permanent providing i can agree a decent price if he's interested. He has been outstanding so far.

Yeah pal because the players I want aren't available...you'll see a couple of permanent transfers in january. I'm trying to run it as realistic as possible in the sense aren't overpaying players wages etc as I'm WBA. I have a short list of exactly who I want and don't wan't too waste money and miss out on those players, nothing wrong with exploiting the loan market. Any players you guys know of I'm happy to take suggestions :)

kara,bressan,vossen,fierro,jenssen

Yeah Kara is a player i have scouted and actually agreed a fee with. Hes one of the guys i can't get because of work permit. Definitely one i'm sticking with to get. I'm waiting to see if David Ospina signs a new contract. I want a DC to replace Olsson now hes decided he's going so would love Danny Wilson but scouting a few