richie tea

Reaction score
Honours list: League cup 2011-12View attachment 266132

UPDATE:11/08/12 Won the league cup 3-2 AET - Search begins to bolster europa league squad for 2012-13 Signed new 33k p/w contract till 2015

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST SUGGESTIONS :)

6/8/12-With this being the first time I have posted about a game, I have realised its a tad long winded lol =). So I will post updates of league tables and happenings as I progress.

Hey there :D. My name is Rich. I'm new on FM Base although I have known of the site. I want to share my story of a game I have started with West Bromwich Albion and basically take you through my approach to the game. Its my first ever story so bare with it. Although being a very experienced FM player I have never before took control of WBA. I like the idea of being a team I have limited FM knowledge of because it challenges you more (eg. players and coaches you can attract). It would be great to get some comparison of other peoples WBA games or just some shared ideas.

The story starts here.

View attachment 263614I chatted with my board at length telling them I can achieve a safe mid table position thus allowing that little bit of extra budget to bring in the staff the club requires. I also persuaded them to up the transfer revenue percentage to 95% and biggest of all start work on extra seats to bring in much needed extra revenue at a cost of £3,300,000.

View attachment 263638I assessed the playing squad and staff. I have brought forward every player with reasonable first team experience from the reserves to the first team squad for pre-season. What initially looked a small squad is a fairly sizeable squad with its fair share of deadwood. I gave the job of captaining the baggies to the influential Chris Brunt, I can't help but wonder how important he could be in this first season.

Told they were not in Tomkinson's plans were
Marc-Antoine Fortune (wasn't impressed with attitude)
Gabriel Tamas (much stronger players in position)
Paul Scharner (last year of contract + excessive renewal talks)

Recalled from loan were
Gonzalo Jara
Joe Matock +
Chris Wood
To be given a pre-season chance to prove their worth to Tomkinson.

In talks with the players individually, players such as Odemwingie, Brunt, Olsson, Mulumbu, Long and Dorrans were told they would feature prominently given they play well. However all were told if unbelievable offers came in for them the club would not stand in their way of a dream move to big clubs.

View attachment 263668This offer is short of my valuation.
Before my first pre-season game I finished what would be, for now, the last staff arrival.View attachment 263669

Three quick fire sales to players deemed surplus to requirements have chopped the wage bill by over £65k and brought in £6m. 2 players left having wanted the baggies to pay a few thousand pounds p/w to move on.

View attachment 263684

Friendly match one report: WBA Reserves v WBA

View attachment 263685 As you would expect really. man of the match was Dorrans. He ran the show. Two separate teams fielded for each half. Big job on though, the defence looked quite shakey even against inferior opposition.

Friendly match two report: WBA v Cardiff

View attachment 263833Cardiff city' extra fitness tells as baggies lack lustre display ends with dreadful defeat. Tomkinson refuses to be shaken and says 'the first few games are an unknown, I'm still getting to know the players and them me'.

Transfer update:
Tomkinson sees Burnley striker Jay Rodriguez as an ideal signing but has bid of £6m rejected by the Clarets. View attachment 263834Tomkinson' very short but detailed list of players is also thought to include the likes of Joe Allen, Ruben Yttergard Jenssen, Claudemir, Steven Fletcher and Steven Davis but the manager has refused to give any confirmation of targets as he tries to spend his supposed transfer budget of around £7m.Friendly.

Coventry v WBA.Quality of possession and extra match sharpness tells as WBA brush sky blues aside 2-0 at the Ricoh.View attachment 263841

Friendly match: Doncaster v WBA.

View attachment 263842View attachment 263843Having tried 442 and not looked overly inspired a change of formation was tried. Chris Brunt particularly impressed me. Definitely in the market for a midfielder. The scouts are running the rule over some players and every effort is being made to appease the Hawthorns faithful.

Jonjo Shelvey
agrees season long loan deal with the club and relishes the first team opportunity. I'm delighted to bring a youngster of his quality to the club and can prove a useful addition.

View attachment 263844

Friendly v Derby away

.View attachment 263846 Pleased with the possession statistic though defending still needs improving. The big diamond formation used again and the forwards seem to be bennefitting from the man playing in behind.Friendly:

Home to Rapid Wien. Confident performance as Shane Long hits hattrick to take pre-season tally to 6 in 5 games.View attachment 263847

With one more friendly to go and still no permanent signings I'm discussing the way forward with the chairman. Determined not to held to ransom after having bids of £7m rejected for both Jay Rodriguez and Steven Fletcher.

Last friendly for some of the remaining squad that haven't gone away with their national sides ends in a 2-0 run about against bohemians.
View attachment 263877

The players are fit and raring to go, training has been stepped up slightly and a transfer bid of £1m has been lodged for View attachment 263879which has been accepted. Lazio are also vying for his signature. He fits the bill for a nice ball playing midfielder with his great passing, technique and creativity. Something which is lacking in my squad. If he signs he'll have to earn his place. Talks are ongoing.

Press conference
In an open press conference i stated my belief that winning or losing in my first game as a profesional manager wasn't going to define my season. I also broke the news of the completed signing of Ruben Yttergard Jenssen who turned down Lazio in order to fullfil his ambitions of a dream move to the premier league. A fantastic signing for the club and one i think will benefit the club financially in the future. An absolute steal at £1m in todays market and £10k p/w represents fantastic value for money.

13th August 201 WBA v Blackburn. So my debut game came for the baggies. The first team sheet pulled no surprises.View attachment 263947A very good home win in what could be a vital 3 points. The goal scored by james morrison. My man of the match was Jonas Olsson, fabulous in the tackle and a beast in the air on the day. Mulumbu played a pivotal role in the clean sheet looking neat and tidy in front of the impressive Olsson. Chris Brunt hit the bar with a far post header and Junior hoilett looked dangerous with his pace for Blackburn but i was generally happy and played some nice football in patches.

View attachment 263949

Training this week will be about defending and trying to keep possession as we work on this large diamond formation more.

With just under 2 weeks to go to the transfer window closing scout reports are coming in all the time. A striker still remains a priority.

being monitored are:
Darwin Quintero
Jay Rodriguez
Gary Hooper
Tim Matavz
Steven Fletcher

20th august away v Bolton

View attachment 264079
A very good point but should have been all 3! Odemwingie missed some glorious chances and has been put through his paces in the days after this with extra finishing practice. Once again just shaded possesion which is something im trying to create, a possession tactic. Shane Long with the goal cancelling out Tuncay' great opener. Steven Reid picked up an injury and has been ruled out for upto 3 weeks.

23rd August League Cup away at Yeovil
Torn between making numerous changes or fielding a strong team i opted for the latter to try and create some continuity and give my strikers a chance of netting and it paid off with Shane Long and Odemwingie both netting two a piece in an emphatic victory.

View attachment 264080 View attachment 264081

Due to the missed chances in the first couple of league games I've decided to bring in an experienced coach in the shape of
View attachment 264084to help in the finishing department.
I'm happy with the response in training and the level of progress in the players since i took charge. View attachment 264085

27th August Home v Chelsea

An extraordinary game, never have i created so many chances with so little reward. 1 goal coming from a controversial penalty a goal from a yard off-side and a rash piece of goal keeping from Foster. Shelvey hit the post with a penalty and woodwork was also hit 3 more times by both teams. The scoreline didn't reflect the game and Simon *** a 2nd half sub missed two one on ones late on. Won't be changing anything after that game, great performance, unreal score line!! In the press conference Tomkinson slated the officiating and when asked about Lampard' performance replied ' personally i think he's of the most overated players in England'.

View attachment 264093 View attachment 264094

First update in a while so here's a catch up!

Darwin Quintero was brought to the Hawthorns in 3.4m deal...I think this is a great signing for the club.
Following him came Mattias Cahais. I have done really well in the transfer market in my opinion spending 5.1m and bringing in 8.1m. Having been with the club a while now it's clear the defence is a big problem area, individually they aren't bad but together they are a creative mess! The goals have been flowing but they are coming the opposite way at a rate of knots! Dean Kiely left the club by mutual consent as I was concerned with the level of goal keeper coaching so in came a coach I found from Palmeiras.

View attachment 265368

Been working tirelessly to solve the defensive problems and lowly but surely is looking slightly better. Cahais has a chance in the team now because Ridgewell been given a break because of his worrying form. The star of the show has been odemwinge who is in the form of his life. Also working hard with my board but to no avail trying to convince them to allow a new physio in to the club. The injuries have been a nightmare. At one stage we were missing Long, Dorrans, Quintero, Morrison, Shorey, Thomas, Gera and Shelvey(loaned from Liverpool). Shelvey now out for 3 months having just got a chance due to injuries and assisted 3 goals in 2 starts and 2 sub apps. I'm just tinkering with the idea of sending him back or keeping him(only 6k wage). Problem areas I'm working on scouting are left back and goal keeper. Good news for the club were the acceptance of new contracts from 6 senior players. Youngsters Chris Wood, Joe Mattock and George Thorne are showing promise and Scott Allan is doing very well out on loan at Huddersfield.

View attachment 265332 Updated table. Only Man United have scored more but only Sunderland have let in less.
I'm happy with the start.

View attachment 265334 View attachment 265345 View attachment 265372Yttergard jenssen and Darwin Quintero are two of the players to be struck by the injury curse, hence the orange arrows! They both starting to show form of late too!
These are the 3 players in so far. All on low wages to replace high earners going out the door!

Latest addition to the coaching staff below, replacing Dean Kiely.
View attachment 265368

9/8/12
A few more games in and I'm delighted to say the team has achieved a semi final spot in the league cup defeating spurs 3-1 at home. The board set me a goal of getting to the fourth round so they are very happy with this. A much changed line up allowed me to see some players I hadn't seen much of and they impressed. Some of these have now entered my thoughts for first team action. Keith Andrews being one in great form.
View attachment 265604 View attachment 265606 Super 3-1 win against very strong spurs line up.

Manchester United launch January raid for Baggies youngster

Man utd manager and bitter rival fergie has launched an amazing offer for my 4.5* potential George Thorne. I've stalled the offer while I talk to the player but I won't be standing in his way. This is a fabulous offer for both player and more importantly the club. Meanwhile I come up with a list of potential targets, though priority remains a left back. Youngster and Baggies fan Joe Mattock has been told he will get a chance to prove to me I don't need to bring a player in for this position.

Results have been really inconsistent, probably as expected. The team let the supporters down massively in a derby away at wolves getting trounced 5-0.
View attachment 265619

After a team meeting the players reacted superbly!

After mollycoddling Darwin Quintero since he signed for the club I decided to unleash him in the derby game at Aston Villa. This proved a master class as Quintero broke baggies records and Villains hearts. On only his fourth start he smashed in five(5) goals
to earn cult status amongst the baggies faithful in a 6-0 demolition job.
View attachment 265625View attachment 265653
With a Home tie v Man United and a two-legged League cup semi final date with fulham coming up, both boardroom and fans are happy.

WEST BROM SMASH FERGIES REDS AS GOALS CONTINUE TO FLOW.
Following the 6-0 derby victory over Aston Villa I never could of imagined another resounding victory over such a team as Man United.
View attachment 265668 Tactic change and player role change coincide with 2 great performances. The last two games I've gone with two poachers up front rather than a poacher with a target man or a poacher with a deep lying forward. I've changed the two advanced wide men to inside forwards(support) so they cut inside and thread through balls rather than cut inside and shoot often or just cross aimlessly into the box. My two CM's are currnetly just CM(D) and are both high in stamina and work rate.
View attachment 265669
RUN GOES ON AS MAGPIES SWALLOWED UP

WBA
3 - 1 NEWCASTLE
Quintero continues goal rush
View attachment 265687
View attachment 265865
SO WE'RE IN JANUARY AND GEORGE THORNE MADE A BIG MOVE TO MAN UNITED. I STEPPED UP MY SCOUTING ON MARCO VERRATTI. HAD THE YOUNG ITALIAN WATCHED A FEW TIMES WITH RAVE REVIEWS. 19 YEARS OLD, 1.3M AND 3K WAGE ON A 4 AND 1/2 YEAR CONTRACT, SIGNED UP :) much to the fans delight.
FA CUP ROUND 3 WBA v LEICESTER
View attachment 265759 Conceded 2 late goals to draw 3-3 and get a replay. played a strong team to try keep momentum going. Whole sale changes in the replay!!

The last lot of fixtures and I'm delighted the team is in fine form, top of the form table. We got knocked out of the Fa cup in a replay at Leicester where I fielded 11 changes to keep the team fresh for the Norwich game and the return leg of the League Cup semi.
View attachment 265863
Delighted with 4 clean sheets in my last 5 league games. Gareth Macauley forming a good partnership with Jonas Olsson at the heart of the defence. Olsson has 1 and 1/2 years left on his current deal. Macauley has come out of the wilderness of reserve team football after not being in favour at the start of the season he seized his opportunity in a league cup game and I kept him in since.
View attachment 265866Delighted with the form and shows how I've turned my defence around. Having conceded 24 in my opening 11 matches have conceded 14 in the next 11 which is a massive achievement from the coaching side. On the look out for a top attacking coach at the moment.

My scouts have found me some good looking players from Argentina and in the next year my chief scout is already pencilled in for travelling around Sweden, Romania, France, Germany, Denmark and a couple of others looking for those steals. My other very good scout is starting the search for 4-5* potential youths as I try and get first run on the next generation.
View attachment 265867

Pitch invasion sparked as Tomkinson guides WBA into a league cup final in his first season.
View attachment 265878 View attachment 265879 View attachment 265885 View attachment 265886 View attachment 265889
Darwin Quintero has now scored 14 in his last 8 games consecutively. He's become a cult hero having stepped in as the clubs saviour whilst Odemwingie is away for a month at the African Cup of Nations. Macauley out for 6 weeks though is a massive blow.

QPR 2-3 WBA
Long
(2)
win puts me 7th and Martin Jol claims we are over achieving, he is right of course but the table doesn't lie!!
View attachment 265911
I'm now into February and had a good look around for Bosmans.
Rene Adler interests me as I require a good goal keeper once Ben Fosters loan ends but he is'nt interested.
Khoumar Babacar also looks an excellent prospect on a Bosman at 18 years of age but a 15k wage and the fact he could probably scupper Chris Woods development put me off. Woods has been allowed to move on loan Glasgow Rangers for the remainder of the season! A 500k fee persuaded me to do so! So I'm remaining just in the market for a goal keeper for the new season at the moment. A league cup triumph could change all that as it would mean Europa league qualification and with that would need to strengthen the squad by 3-4 players to my reckoning. Young defender Downing has been allowed to move on for 20k to the MK Dons to be with his Idol and friend Terry Burton. He was seen as surplus to first team activity.

Training report
View attachment 265913Shane Long is starting to perform and develop really well.

February and March 2012 and news
John Owens was brought in as a youth coach and Tony Whelan promoted to first team coach and given a slightly improved contract to take care of the attacking side.
For some reason I updated but all the pics have gone to thumb nails so have a look at the attachment for february.
Delighted to win league cup. Amazing achievement. Beginning to put a list of targets together to bolster Europa league squad for next season.
View attachment 266434View attachment 266436View attachment 266458
After much scouting and deliberating I decided Khouma Babacar was worth the move. Signed on a wage of 12.5k and 19 years old has plenty of potential. Picked up on a free transfer I think this is a great capture. Thinking of loaning him out next season but with europe need the bodies. My 2 scouts that are rated 20 for both player potential and player ability rate him as 4.5* but we will see.

End of season standings
View attachment 266924 View attachment 266934 View attachment 266966
Fabulous season. Now for squad rebuilding. I have a few unhappy players and a few of them with contracts ending 2013 so bit of sorting to do. Need some extra depth with Europa league next season. I have only signed young Khoumar Babacar so far on a bosman free. After season one a new left back and new goalkeeper are a must so this has spelt the end of Nicky Shorey' reign at the club. He's been told he can move on for nothing if he must. I have rejected an end of season bid of 6.5m for Ruben Yttergard Jenssen from Everton for whom I signed for 1m. He still has 1* to go to reach his potential so think keep hold. Mathias Cahais on of my signings has found the going tough in the English premier league and stories he thinks he moved to England too soon are emerging. The club paid 700k in a bargain deal but rumours of a 2m move away from the club are emerging.

I'll be starting a separate story on season 2 and probably a little different as have learnt a lot from this first blog. So hopefully some people are following :)

Bring on 2012-13 =) we're all of for our end of season party where Darwin Quintero has promised a rendition of 'we are the champions' in Columbian =)

Last edited:
good luck, they are a good solid team to go if attacking, defence is quite weak but.

Thanks :) I have played a few friendlies of which I will report on soon and definitely not a team to sit back with. I tried 442 in first 2 friendlies and don't think they have sufficient quality in middle of park to play this way. I think this defence needs a holding midfield player so I'm toying with Mulumbu sitting in front.