A Beginner's Guide to Stealth on Modern Warfare 2

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just thought I would share a quick guide to being a good stealth player on the critically-acclaimed (yes) Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.Having played it for quite a while now,I have started to combine a few perks with some of my guns,just to pick up some things that may contribute positively to my gaming on the first-person shooter.However,when I say this,I play Modern Warfare 2 on my friend's console,meaning that I do not have an account where people can add me over Xbox Live,unfortunately at the moment.Even still,his Xbox Live has run out recently and probably won't get another one till November/December.Bummer.

----------

Introduction

For those who still play this game whilst the arrival of the highly-aniticipated and widely pre-ordered sequel to Treyarch's Call of Duty: World At War,you may find playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 something to play when you are wanting to just completely and utterly rape noob tubers or frustrate campers with their FAMAS' and grenade spamming whilst trying to gain an 11-kill streak on Quarry when you're team is losing by 2,000 points (rant over (A))

Stealth on Modern Warfare 2 is seen usually seen as people suggesting it as you moving from place to place without being killed and using a silenced gun to supress the amount of noise that may be heard from their team-mates.They are on the right tracks in using this phrase.

Stealth,in both real-life and in Modern Warfare 2,requires the ability to read the environment well,be efficient in the use of your weaponry and what's left of it,have the instincts to know where and when to move and how to kill someone without being caught or 'baiting' yourself out (as the kids say it these days) when a group of enemies might be able to recognise your presence.

In this small guide,I hope to shed a little light on the basics of being a stealth player in Modern Warfare 2 and give people a chance to use their common sense when playing to avoid themselves running into a building and shooting aimlessly into space where the majority of the time they will get killed and rage quit over being a little stupid in the scenario.

Your Basic Equipment

---------------------------

Your Main Weapon

During my time in experimenting,I have,the majority of the time I have been using a sniper/battle rifle that has helped me the majority of the time in combat.The M21 EBR (Or what it should be referred to,the M14 Enhanced Battle Rifle) Like the Barret 50. Caliber and the WA200,this sniper allows the user to shoot multiple times without reload until the whole magazine is empty.

I have used this the majority of the time in my Stealth class and have been able to clock 5,6,7 and close to 11 kill streaks with it.The other times I used the Barrett,the Intervention,the MP5K and the TAR-21.

View attachment 76776

I believe that it's obvious that this,equipped with a Silencer,should be the starting pack to your equipment.Should you decide to use Scavenger Pro,Sleight of Hand Pro or Bling Pro,you could use Scavenger Pro to place multiple claymores or C4 explosives,Sleight of Hand Pro to quickly reload your weapon before being caught by other enemies or Bling Pro to attach a Heartbeat Sensor to your weapon for the ability to detect close-by enemies.This should only be used if you do not feel confident about being unable to spot enemies that might be able to kill you without your notice,depending on what perks they are using,such as Ninja Pro.

Your Secondary Weapon

I,most of the time,have preferred using the USP .45 attached with Tactical Knife,however,it was on my first try of the Stealth class that I had equipped Silencer to the the gun,had I ran into an enemy I could of killed without being noticed.I found that using a pistol was the best way to quickly kill someone (especially with Tactical Knife equipped) as well as the quick reloading time and easy weapon switching time difference an efficient way to get a kill.

View attachment 76777

It has been criticised in the past that,if a stealth player was to equip Marathon Pro to their class,whilst having a USP .45 with Tactical Knife on as their secondary,they would be able to knife run,however,I believe that even if they are knife-running,as long as they do not equip an assault rifle or a riot shield as their primary weapon,they are not doing much harm,other than just knifing and being stealthy.

Special Grenades

Take your pick.

This should be dependant on what perks you have equipped with your class in order for them to be effective.The most obvious choice when trying to hold down a certain area on the map would be the use of the much-favoured Scavenger Pro perk,in which allows the player to pick up fallen enemies' packs and be able to plant multiple claymores and C4 explosives.

For a normal assault rifleman,the Scavenger Pro perk would favour them in allowing them to use multiple grenades when trying to clear out an area that may be filled with enemies,waiting upon the foolishness of one to run in all-guns-blazing to try a strike a kill.

I normally use either claymores or C4,mainly due to the fact that one of them detonates upon the entrance of an enemy in a building once they have 'tripped' over the visible red wires and the other giving the player control over it's detonation,leaving people having to stand guard and wait upon someone to pass by,only for them to find themselves walking into a trap.However,I have found using claymores the most effective.

In terms of secondary equipment,the smoke grenade could be a favourable one due to the fact that,when in a compact area,the use of this grenade gives the player the chance to either kill someone or a group of enemies,or even escape without them being able to know where he has gone.I personally prefer the smoke grenade,however,I am welcomed to using stun grenades too.

-----------------

Perks

----------------

Here is my recommended setup from one to three.

Perk 1:

Bling

Gives the player the opportunity to equip a Silencer to the gun,as well as another attachment.A favourable one might be the Heartbeat Sensor.The upgraded version of this perk allows the player the chance to equip two attachments to their gun,something I used when I was equipping my USP .45 with Tactical Knife and Silencer.

Perk 2:

Cold-Blooded

An obvious one.Gives you a sizeable advantage when tackling enemy Harriers and Predator Missiles and Sentry Guns,as well as controllable killstreaks - most notably the infamous Chopper Gunner and AC-130.Also makes you undetectable via Thermal Scope (hence the reason it's called Cold-Blooded for those who did not know).The upgraded version of this perk allows the player to be undetectable by gamertag/PSN iD or crosshair.Sweet.

Perk 3:

Ninja

Something that commonly goes hand-in-hand with Cold-Blodded Pro.Allows you to become undetected via Heartbeat Sensor,as well as the upgraded version allowing players to not be traceable by the enemies through their footsteps.Especially useful when trying to knife an enemy from behind.

Deathstreak

Martydom

Nice.

When you're on the battlefield...

Here are some tips to use when in a real match

1. Be able to read the map well.Knowing some hotspots in which to catch your enemy out gives you the advantage to read where enemies may possibly be hiding or camping.
  2. Kill and move.The most efficient way to not be detected and,when the enemy comes to search for you after they rage at the KillCam,you'll be long gone.
  3. Do not stay in one place for a long period of time.In other words,don't camp.After killing about three or more enemies,you will become notorious amongst the opposition and be head-hunted until you're brought out of your little hiding spot.
  4. Don't follow your team-mates.Pretty obvious.You will get caught out more if you stay with your 'team-mates',making you more likely to get killed on a number of times that could have been avoidable.
  5. Use your secondary wepaon often to save ammunition.Especially when finiding an enemy by himself.Easiest way to save ammunition and to get more kills with a gun you'll find very helpful.
One more little thing before I wrap this up...

Here's how to...

'Play Dead'

(Yes,on Modern Warfare 2)

Saw this on Youtube when looking about for stealth videos with snipers and came across a couple that shows how to play dead.

Basically,it's a tactic in which you lay down on the floor near dead team-mates and act as if you've been killed,giving enemies the impression that you are not alive.

Here's how you do it:

• Go prone on the floor near a fallen team-mate/enemy.
  • Keep pressing the Y/Triangle button when you see an enemy.
  • When he's walked by,get up a kill him.
Simple.

Takes a bit of practice and common sense not to do it just anywhere,but can be a sly tactic in being able to dodge a group of enemies and then pick them off one by one.

The enemy will be clearly baffled :$

Well,that's all folks

:D

I hope this guide allowed you to pick up on the basics of stealth in Modern Warfare 2 and enhanced,not only your skills in being a better player,but also your K/D spread.

If you have any queries,please post below and if you have spotted any mistakes,feel free to post as well.Constructive criticism welcome.

Cheers.

Mashed :)

Whoa.

Nice one mashed :)

Will be looking to use this soon.

Nice.

Gonna try this after the England game

Great guide, should help a lot of people who are struggling to play well in CoD.

What would you recommend out of the options of either using bling on the sniper having a silencer and heartbeat sensor, or using bling on the secondary pistol having a silencer and tactical knife?

What would you recommend out of the options of either using bling on the sniper having a silencer and heartbeat sensor, or using bling on the secondary pistol having a silencer and tactical knife?

Well,for a person who is just using a Stealth class,I would recommend using Bling Pro so that they can be more aware of their surroundings.This also goes for people who are not that knowledgable about the map.

I would just recommend Bling Pro in my opinion.

I disagree with a lot of the information you've presented.

Bling Pro, for example, is not necessary, and takes away the ability to equip a more useful perk in the first slot. I would go with Scavenger or Marathon, depending on the game-type. Marathon for those matches where you're playing as a team, and Scavenger for when you are playing alone in a FFA match, as you don't have to move much between kills.

Also, using the M21 as your preferred weapon in a stealth set-up is a curious decision. Sure, it'll let you pick off a few targets at distance, but you're going to be lacking at close range unless you shoot into someone's back. I would recommend the UMP45 for an SMG of choice, or perhaps a silenced SCAR-H if you are using the Scavenger perk (small magazine).

Bling Pro, for example, is not necessary, and takes away the ability to equip a more useful perk in the first slot. I would go with Scavenger or Marathon, depending on the game-type. Marathon for those matches where you're playing as a team, and Scavenger for when you are playing alone in a FFA match, as you don't have to move much between kills.

Also, using the M21 as your preferred weapon in a stealth set-up is a curious decision. Sure, it'll let you pick off a few targets at distance, but you're going to be lacking at close range unless you shoot into someone's back. I would recommend the UMP45 for an SMG of choice, or perhaps a silenced SCAR-H if you are using the Scavenger perk (small magazine).

That's true.Bling Pro does take up the space of a much more effective perk,such as an FFA match,however,I do feel that using Bling Pro will allow an attachment to give the player an extra edge in using their current weapon,exampling Silencer with FMJ,allowing bullet penetration through walls when coming up against opponents that are behind cover? This is just improvisation.

On the second one,the M21 is known to be an efficient sniper,regardless of the use in Silencer or Cold-Blooded Pro taking up Stopping Power Pro in it's slot.I have been able to snipe quite efficiently with the M21 with silencer and without Stopping Power and gaining a few kills from quite a distance.It's still effective.I would still stick with a sniper on the grounds that it can provide a good way of killing someone from quite a distance,even still with some attachments and perks that may restrict it's range.

Agree completely. ^

Though I am too lazy to construct my own guide, so nice work on this one MashedPotatoes.

Guide looks good mate :) "Critically acclaimed"!!! are you joking?! :p i thort the game was awful

Good guide for beginners to game :)
I tend to set my classes based on game type and map.