A Canadian's Rise to Fame - A Rochdale Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabigberto

Reaction score
Thursday 2nd July 2009

Hi my name is Robert Hay and I am a 19 Year old Canadian living in Northern Ireland and, well currently I am unemployed. Like every other day for the past year I have woken up to my parents nagging at me for not having a job and spending all my time playing Football Manager. As usual I quickly checked on the jobcentre website to make it seem like I was interested in finding a job when I saw it, breaking news on Sky Sports:

Keith Hill Resigns as Rochdale Manager

"It has been reported that Rochdale Manager, Keith Hill has resigned from his post for undisclosed reasons. An inside source at the club has said the reason behind his resignation is a fight over the transfer budget at the club with Chairman Chris Dunphy"

View attachment 73775
Ex-Rochdale Manager, Keith Hill

I thought to myself why the **** not apply for the job, worst that could happen is that I get rejected. So I filled in my CV and sent it off to Rochdale with little hopes since all my CV really had in it that was relevant to the job was my 6 years at Rochdale in Football Manager 2009.

Friday 3rd July

I woke up today to the sound of a phone ringing. As soon as I was ready to get the phone it stopped ringing because my mum had picked it up. She came into my room and told me it was some English guy for me. I took the phone from her and said Hello, but the response was not what I was expecting, I thought it was just one of those companys trying to sell me stuff as usual. "Hello Robert, this is Chris Dunphy. I am phoning you to tell you that we have picked you as the new manager of Rochdale, we hope you will accept". Without even having to think about it, I accepted. I was the new manager at Rochdale AFC.

Tuesday 7th July

Finally the day had arrived. I finally got to Spotland for the first time and got to have a quick word with the staff and players before going to meet the Chairman in his office. When I got to his office he got straight to the point "I expect you to make the playoffs this season, but unfortunately we won't be able to give you any transfer money to spend". I accepted that and told him I would not only try to meet his expectations, but also aim for automatic promotion. After the meeting was over I got into the car and went to my new flat to get some rest. Starting tomorrow, I would officially be the manager of Rochdale AFC.

Have finished the first three seasons so I will be posting updates on them shortly.

2009-10 Season

Transfers

View attachment 73826

League - Media Prediction: 8th, Expectation - Playoffs

View attachment 73819

Very happy with the performance, Exceeding expectations and got promoted.

League Cup - Expectation - Enjoy the Experience - Made 2nd Round

We made the 2nd Round of the League Cup losing to Preston. The team tried there best but unfortunately we were outclassed by them.

FA Cup - Expectation - 2nd Round - Made 1st Round

A dominate Exeter put us out and we failed to make our expectation for the season

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - 2nd Round - Made North Final

We made the North Final which far exceeded our expectations. A poor performance against Huddersfield in the 2nd leg of the final put us out and we definetely deserved to lose.

Fan's Player of the Year - Vincenzo Verhoeven

Manager of the Year

View attachment 73820

2010-11 Season

Transfers

View attachment 73825

League - Media Prediction 24th - Expectations - Attempt to Avoid Relegation

View attachment 73821

A respectable position that could have seen us finish much higher if it wasn't for a bad couple of months in December and January.

League Cup - Expectations - Enjoy Experience - Made 1st Round

Unfortunately a short cup run this season but the team fought hard against a superior Derby side.

FA Cup - Expectations - 2nd Round - Made 2nd Round

Glad to see we made our expectations this season but am unhappy with the poor performance against Brighton in the 2nd round.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - Expectations - 2nd Round - Made North Semi Finals

Very disappointing game against Carlisle that saw us go out but other than that it was a successful cup run seeing us exceed our expectations

Fan's Player of they Year - Joe Thompson

2012/2013 Season

Transfers

View attachment 73824

League - Media Prediction - 22nd - Expectations - Attempt to Avoid Relegation

View attachment 73822

Never expected this, challenged for the title until the last 2 games and got promoted, definetely exceeded expectations of both the board and myself.

League Cup - Expectations - Enjoy Experience - Made to 4th Round

Very good run only losing to a much superior Liverpool.

FA Cup - Expectations - 3rd Round - Made 2nd Round

Once again the FA Cup proves to be my only competition I fail to meet my expectations in.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - Expectations - Not important - Made 2nd Round

Very poor performance in the cup that we had played very well in the last 2 seasons. Was hoping to win it before getting promoted but I guess things don't always go your way.

Fan's Player of the Year - Chris Dagnall

Manager of the Year

View attachment 73823

So is this the story?

Had meant to update monthly through the 4th season but have been busy the last few days because of my birthday and work. Have finished the 4th season though now and will update it now

2012/13 Season Summary

Expectations for the season:

Coca-Cola Championship: Attempt to Avoid Relegation. Media Prediction: 24th

Final League Table:

View attachment 74858

At the start of the season, I was expecting a season where I would struggle but with key signings Tamas Priskin and Sanchez Watt helped us cause a huge shock and led us to a 2nd succesive promotion.

League Cup: Expectation: 2nd Round, Made 2nd Round

View attachment 74859

FA Cup: Expectation: 3rd Round, Made 3rd Round

View attachment 74860

Transfers

View attachment 74861

Fan's Player of the Season and Signing of the Season

View attachment 74862

Manager of the Season

View attachment 74863

2013/14 Season Preview

Premier League Expectations: Attempt to Avoid Relegation, Media Prediction: 20th

First game is at Home against Arsenal, First Away game is against Manchester United

FA Cup Expectations: Fourth Round

Will update again at the end of July with my pre-season games and transfers.

Pre-Season Update

News

Stoke after Hay?

It has been reported that Stoke City have offered Rochdale Manager Robert Hay £21,500 per week to manage at the Brittania Stadium. It is unknown whether Hay will accept the offer or not

Hay rejects Stoke

Rochdale Manager Robert Hay has officially rejected the job offer from Stoke Chairman Peter Coates, stating that he plans on staying at Rochdale for the foreseeable future

Hay makes big name signing

Rochdale Manager Robert Hay announced today at a press conference that he had made a big name signing to help strengthen his team. He went onto report that the signing was none other than 35 year old Striker Didier Drogba. Hay stated that he believed the ex-Chelsea Striker can add a lot to the team and would be a vital member of the team this year.

Transfers

Friendlies

Rochdale 3 - 3 Celtic
Rochdale 0 - 4 Olympiakos
Rochdale 2 - 2 Club Brugge
Rochdale 0 - 4 Arsenal
Rochdale 0 - 5 Man City
Rochdale 3 - 2 Liverpool
Rochdale 1 - 3 Everton
Rochdale 0 - 2 Tottenham
Rochdale 1 - 3 West Ham
Rochdale 1 - 1 Wolves
Rochdale 0 - 1 Stoke
Rochdale 1 - 0 Wigan
Rochdale 1 - 1 Rangers
Rochdale 4 - 1 West Brom

Summary - Quite a few big losses in the friendlies but the majority of them where whilst I was still rebuilding the team. Very happy with my signings and hope they can make a big impact and help the team stay up

August Update

Transfers

Matches

League Table

In 20th is Aston Villa with 0 points from 1 Game

Summary

I woke up after my first month of managing in the Premiership and thought about the previous month. I was not overly happy with the teams overall performance in the league so far but I did understand that we had played two of the toughest teams in the league and to get a point out of the games would definetely be classified as a shock. I also reflected on my cup performance against Reading and was quite happy to have gotten the win, but disappointed at the fact that Kamil Gilk had been sent off. I am looking forward to next month with a visit to the Riverside Stadium to face Middlesbrough, whilst bringing Sheffield Utd and Cardiff to Spotland, and Norwich to Spotland in the League Cup.

im liking this as a dale fan :p only hope we could sign drogba in real life but it wont happen :(

im liking this as a dale fan :p only hope we could sign drogba in real life but it wont happen :(

Thanks, unfortunately he hasn't been a superstar for me yet since he was injured most of September :(

September Update

Matches

View attachment 75290
League Table

In 20th is Newcastle with 2 points from 5 games

Summary

After an inconsistent month in September I finished the final press conference of the month with a smile on my face. We had won, finally won our first Premiership game. During the month we started off with a good comeback against Sheffield United to draw with star striker Didier Drogba scoring his first goal for Rochdale. Unfortunately our other league game against Middlesbrough did not end very well despite us going ahead twice. Our only cup game last month was an excellent game for us against Norwich City. In October with look forward to a trip to Anfield to face 3rd place Liverpool whilst bringing Champions Manchester City and 7th place Sunderland to Spotland. We also bring last place Newcastle to Spotland in the 4th Round of the League Cup

October Update

News

Hay signs Veteran Striker

Rochdale Manager Robert Hay has announced that he has signed Former Tottenham Striker Roman Pavlyuchenko on a 2 year deal worth £9,750. The 31 year old Striker has declared that he is delighted to have signed with the team and although he knows he won't play until January is looking forward to his future at the club

Pinto on his way to Valenciennes FC

Rochdale Left Back Tiago Pinto has reportedly moved to French Ligue 2 side Valenciennes for £1.2 million. Pinto has said that he is looking forward to using the Training Facilities at his new club.

Matches

League Table

Summary

A new month begins and I am hoping that November will be a much better month than October. We were outclassed in every game in the league and our only good performance was against Champions Manchester City where we got a point. This month we look forward to visits to White Hart Lane, The Hawthorns, Stamford Bridge and Ewood Park whilst bringing whilst bringing Aston Villa and QPR to Spotland.

November Update

Matches

Table

Summary

Another month over and it was a month I wish wouldn't have ended. Unbeaten the whole month and wins against Tottenham and relegation rivals QPR have moved us into 13th. We still have a game in hand to play since our match against 4th place Chelsea was postponed until January. Next month we look forward to visits to the Brittania Stadium, Molineux, St James Park and the Emirates Stadiums while bringing 12th place Everton and League leaders Manchester United to Spotland​

December Update

Matches

League Table

Summary

After a month where we were outplayed in every match, I was glad to move on and hope thed that the team would play stronger next month. Despite the poor play in the month there was 1 positive, and that was that we had gotten 6 points during the month. Next month the players can look forward to trips to Villa Park, Stamford Bridge and Bramall Lane whilst bringing Chelsea to Spotland and going to Loftus Road in the FA Cup 3rd Round

January Update

Matches

League Table

Summary

A very good month for us with us getting 7 out of 12 points including a great draw against Chelsea, with us coming close to winning in the last second of the game but Priskin was denied by the crossbar. Despite the positives we had a poor performance against Chelsea and have had many injuries in the squad. Next month we travel to The Cardiff City Stadium and The Stadium of Light whilst bringing Middlesbrough and Liverpool to Spotland. We also play at Carrow Road in the FA Cup 4th Round Replay and if we win that we travel to The Liberty Stadium to play Swansea.

Status
Not open for further replies.