League History

n/a

Cup History

n/a

Managerial Honors

n/a

fd84y1.jpg

Andreas Alm Axed by AIK

It was announced this afternoon that Andreas Alm has been relieved of his managerial duties at AIK after nearly 5 years in charge. Alm returned stability to his favored club after signing as manager in 2010, however 5 years have passed since AIK last won the Allsvenskan or any trophy at all, with this in mind it appears Chairman Jonny Jergander has made the decision to relieve Alm of his position.

Despite a very good win ratio of 50% the lack of silverware has pushed the club to look for a spark that might reignite AIK's flame. A number of managers have been linked with the job but there is no solid indication who will take over. Andreas Alm left Friends Arena this morning and left a few words for fans & the club.

"The club today announced their decision to let me go, I would be lying if I stood here now and said I am not disappointed. I spent 3 great years as a player & an enjoyable if not unfruitful tenure as manager but in football things move forward quickly, you either adapt to stay ahead or get left behind."

"I want to thank everyone at the club for their support over the years and of course the fans too. I wish my successor the very best of luck and he has my full support to hopefully achieve great things here."

We now await the decision from Gnaget officials to see just who will take the reigns at Friends Arena, Speculation will be rife but any information will be broadcasted so stay tuned as we bring you the latest over the coming weeks.

Last edited:
2ppijxe.jpg

Unproven Manager's Appointment Shocks Gnaget Faithful

8 Days after the dismissal of Andreas Alm the AIK Board unveiled the new man they have chosen to take the club forward. Luke Ryan joins as virtual unknown, the 25 year old, who has 7 years on the Sunday League scene as player signs at his first ever professional team. After sustaining injury in 2009, which inevitably ended Ryan's career, he ventured into management where he had some success earning a local trophy in Leicester.

However he has now been thrown into a big challenge, beyond anything he would be used to, controlling and running an aspiring European force. Swedish football may not be ranked highly in terms of quality but fans across the country will now be watching with keen eyes due to the fact that not many English managers have had success here.

Roy Hodgson being the most notable man to take control on Swedish soil, where he enjoyed League title success with Halmstads and an amazing 5 titles with Malmo FF, which also included a huge victory over Inter Milan in the 1990 European Cup competition.

Fans have apparently questioned the decision to ignore candidates with more lucrative CV's but the board defended they're actions and called for backing from the fans. Jonny Jergander when questioned by media stated "We understand the fans may not be comfortable with this decision but it is not one we have taken lightly."

"The board, staff and myself had a number of meetings with Luke and we are delighted to appoint him our new manager. There is talent here and we have a solid base for him to work with, we want good attacking football and a keen intent to build through youth & Mr. Ryan ticks all the boxes in relation to our expectations."

Luke Ryan addressed media assuring fans he would not let them down. "I understand where I have come from, people will not know who I am or my methods but that gives me an edge. I will work as hard as I can to make sure this club stands tall with silverware hoisted high over heads once more."

"This is not going to be an overnight job, fans need to be patient and know we are working as hard as possible to achieve our goals. We have some good players here and the youth is very encouraging. I am looking forward to getting started!.

Well it has been interesting few days at Friends Arena, in time we will tell if this appointment flops or provides the shock of the century. We ask you to follow us throughout the season as this story unfolds.

View attachment 150972
February 2015

My career in football management was about to begin, a huge task lay ahead of me as I try to win over any doubters and build AIK towards a successful future. The board have backed me and the players have been very receptive, I am being thrown straight into the deep end this month as we traverse 2 Swedish Cup Group games, it is the perfect opportunity to build the teams confidence and push towards some silverware.

(SCG4) IF Brommapojkarna (H) - A home clash against a tricky opponent, we are billed as favorites but there are no guarantee's in football
(SCG4) Angelholms FF (A) - We travel to a Superettan side looking to win 3 points towards Swedish Cup qualification

View attachment 150973
Svenska Cupen Group 4
vs. IF Brommapojkarna (Won 1-0)
AIK began life under new manager with a comfortable win at Friends Arena. Media gathered to watch the Englishman take charge of his first game with AIK and thanks to a Niclas Eliasson strike he came away with victory. It proved a tough game as the visitors set out to frustrate, the opposition keeper was in fine form making a number of wonderful saves.

The one bit of quality in the game came just before the half hour as Niclas Eliasson cut in from the left and bent a wonderful shot in at the near post to ultimately win the game for the home side.

Svenska Cupen Group 4
vs. Angelholms FF (Won 2-0)
AIK ended the month top of their group after a comfortable win at Angelholms. The first period proved a tight affair with neither side really making any clear cut chances, when the half time whistle arrived it was clear AIK need some inspiration. In the second half the introduction of Eero Markkanen made all the difference as the big Finnish striker bagged himself a goal whilst setting up strike partner Marko Nikolic for the second.

Markkanen got in front of an Angelholms defender to rifle the ball into the far corner before turning provider just minutes later. A long diagonal ball was hit forward and Markkanen managed to shrug off his challenger to head into the path of Nikolic who bent his shot into the far corner.

The win made 2 out of 2 in the Swedish Cup Group Stage for Ryan's men, Gnaget fans will be hoping this is a good omen for the future.

View attachment 150971
Eero Markkanen celebrates his goal at Angelholms FF

View attachment 150974
The opening month proved to be a good start to my managerial career with AIK, we went up against some tricky opponents but came away with 2 wins out of 2. The opening games have let me test the waters with a few of the players, the next month will see pre-season friendlies start and that should also give me the chance to assess the squad. I was impressed with a few players like Marko Nikolic, Niclas Eliasson and Eero Markkanen, so if they keep it up and I can see them being a part of my plans here.