A consistent tactic for mid-table premier league team

YoJimbo91

Reaction score
I'm in my third season with Wolves,

I comfortably gained promotion in my first season using the factor of changeable pitch dimensions to full effect (smallest possible pitch, high pressing, short passing etc.)

But it would seem a change in regulations has stopped this becoming a factor in the prem? With the set pitch dimensions at 68x105, for me at least, it destroys the opportunity of forcing teams who play an expansive passing game into small pitch.

I can still pull of good results (wins against Chelsea and Man U at home), but then get hammered by Reading at home (who we're second from bottom a the time).

I'm just wondering if there are any 'do's and don't's' regarding this new default pitch size?
Also if there are any certain tactics which are proven to be consistent for mid-table teams?

Cheers.

I'm just wondering if there are any 'do's and don't's' regarding this new default pitch size?
Also if there are any certain tactics which are proven to be consistent for mid-table teams?
Cheers.

do you mean downloadable ones? you seem to be doing well mate :) why the need to download one? stick with what you have, make changes to it

play wider yourself, use the whole pitch to your advantage, you can still narrow the opposition down into the centre and keep your philosophy as is :)

you can play possession football on the biggest pitch size, look at Barca :)

the Reading game I can assume was a once off, you need to look at what tactics your opposition concede and struggle the most against, you need to prepare properly for the match (match prep) team talks, team meetings, single out defenders with low determination and say they are the weakest links etc

there are many things to do over and above tactics!

but as I said, keep your approach, but have 1 tactic that you can change easily to counter your opposition

Thanks for the reply, I get what you're saying.

Since getting promoted I haven't really used the tactics I used in the Championship, although I do have the philosophy of it being trained up in match prep.

I had been trying to use the space to my advantage, as you said, it just bugs me that I never really get to dominate teams that I know aren't as good as us like I would in the championship. I guess they're two different leagues.

I suppose the Prem is supposed to be more of a challenge, though, the tactics I'd use before were pretty dead-cert no matter what the opposition and this league requires you to think it out a little more.

Thanks for the reply, I get what you're saying.

Since getting promoted I haven't really used the tactics I used in the Championship, although I do have the philosophy of it being trained up in match prep.

I had been trying to use the space to my advantage, as you said, it just bugs me that I never really get to dominate teams that I know aren't as good as us like I would in the championship. I guess they're two different leagues.

I suppose the Prem is supposed to be more of a challenge, though, the tactics I'd use before were pretty dead-cert no matter what the opposition and this league requires you to think it out a little more.

thats where you wrong mate! no tactic is a dead cert win, especially for a newly promoted team!

keep in mind that you are now the underdogs in a bigger league, you are not the big dog in a small pond anymore and you need to set your team up like that!

counter attacking, long ball hoofing forward etc etc...

don't expect to dominate games, expect to lose most games, that is the mindset you need to adopt :)

good luck