bdare

Reaction score
Hello All Managers and Tactians

I have a theory but i want you know what you guyz think and whether it may work. So Basically ive got a super 442 (Short Passing/ Quick / Attacking) tactic, scoring for fun 90-110 per season but the defence needs to be worked on conceding about 25-28 goals per season. I love my clean sheets dearly and prefer them sometimes than actually winning by 7-1. Anyways here we go

My Theory :D

Defensive Line: Deep/Normal (as High Defensive line doesn't work with Cover/Stopper system)

CB Stopper

Mentality:Normal (7-10)

Man Marking Tight (Stopping the Opposition from getting through)

Qualities: Marking, Tackling and Concentration

Closing Down: Own Half (8-10) so he can win balls higher up the pitch

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CB Cover

Mentality: Defensive (4-6)

Zonal Marking Tight ( Helping to clear out through balls )

Qualities : Anticipation, Concentration, Decisions and Positioning

Closing Down: Own Area (4-6) while the stopper is higher up the pitch the cover is the safety net

I think realistically this should work well, Because in real life I'm sure there are teams that play with this sort of theory (Rio/Vidic) i haven't tested it myself due to me being in a network game right now. But its something i just thought about as in idea!!!

let me know your thoughts and please test this. I will be surely testing this myself as well

Last edited:
Anyone tried it??

Discuss

I mean do you think that this makes sense ??? Let me know

How about just playing one big guy and one quick guy and let the computer auto assign roles.

The drawback for cover/stopper combos is the space it can leave between the stopper pushing forwards and the cover dropping back. This can be a gift for opposition midfielders who like to get forward. As you're choosing a big difference in closing down between the two, and instructing your stopper to mark his man anywhere in your own half, you should watch out for situations where that leaves your cover exposed as a one-man central defence.

You might also want to keep an eye on your cover defender's tight marking. Once he's committed to getting tight to the man on the ball you've got no-one but your goalkeeper protecting you if the opponent is able to lay off the ball to a teammate, such as a midfielder running into the area.

My guess is that this setup would be strong against 2 attackers, but would leak badly against teams who get lots of players forward.

As 'Runc' said, this would probably be effective when you control matches, but quite scary when opponents push forward with more than two players.
Personally, I'm no fan of tight man marking for CB's, as it often leaves space for opponents to exploit. Might be effective in 89 minutes, but the one time the marking defender slips up, he's caught out of position.

First thing that stands out to be honest, other than the weaknesses highlighted are that you have no defender qualities with heading abilities. Play against a target man / defending corners and you'll leak the goals I reckon.

I play a stopper/cover system with a high defensive line quite effectively with my Bilbao team. 16 games in and only 4 goals conceded in the league. I've got a regen called Enrique Machado as the stopper (he's 6'8" and almost 250 lbs) and Inigo Martinez in the covering role. Mind you, I have got a phenomenal young keeper with a CA of over 185.

The issue pointed for a cover/stopper combination is something that can be solved with, and therefore requires, a defensive midfielder (either a DM or a MC set to a very defensive mentality) in front of the stopper. What that does is that by keeping that man ahead, he'll be taking care of attackers going the side of the stopper and preventing the latter from any temptation to get too far ahead to mark them; instead he will keep to his role as it should be and will be keeping a good position relative to the stopper.

When I used such combination, usually when my team was one of the strong of the division, I used man marking and have no experience about its working with a zonal marking system.