A different kind of tactic, need help

The first things that stand out are how you're deploying Ryan Bertrand and James Ward-Prowse. Bertrand is a naturally left-footed player but you're playing him in as an Inverted Wing Back from the left hand side, which would better suit a right footer. Bertrand is very effective as an overlapping full back, getting to the byline and putting dangerous crosses to the far post - I say this both as a Southampton fan and as his former FM16 manager. My advice is to switch him to Full Back_Attack, instruct him to attack the byline and cross often to the Target Man.

Ward-Prowse is right footed but again you have him in a role that would better suit a lefty. He can play as a winger and is an excellent crosser of the ball on his right side, so play him to his strengths. If you have him on Attack mode with your right back on Defend, you're going to be vulnerable in the gap in-between. Cedric does well as a Right Back_Support so I'd recommend bringing him in for Hartmann.

Play Jason McCarthy in his strongest Centre Back role, which I believe is either Central Defender_Stopper or Limited Defender_Stopper (I'm not loaded up at the moment but I had McCarthy on loan at Everton in the Championship). Is Half Back Coquelin's best role in the DM position? I would want a Ball Winning Midfielder or Defensive Midfielder in there, to add a bit of steel to the midfield. Failing that, I think Jordie Clasie as a Deep-Lying Playmaker_Defend would be more effective than Coquelin in that position, especially if you train him up to switch the ball to the opposite flank.

I don't know much about Abdelhak Nouri but judging by your screenshot there is another role that he's better suited to, so can you play him there instead? Jay Rodriguez is nowhere near as good in this edition of FM as he was in my FM14 when he won the World Cup Golden Boot and played for England in the Final. I can't see another left midfielder in your squad, so maybe persevere with him until you can get someone in who is better suited to the role. While he's cutting inside onto his right foot, he will be creating space for Bertrand to overlap so he should at least be contributing something to your team in that sense.

If you do put Clasie into your team, with Dele Alli and Ward-Prowse already in there, then you'll have at least three decent passers of the ball. So I'd start retaining possession and getting the goalkeeper to roll the ball out to the full backs. I'd also select the Look For Overlap option from the attacking instructions, to get the most out of Bertrand and Cedric (I don't know Hartmann but check his crossing and stamina stats).

Generally, Control - Flexible - Be More Disciplined. When you need to get a goal or are trying to exploit the opposition's weakness switch to Attack - Fluid - Be More Expressive.

Thank you very much man for taking the time to answer and to analyse my tactic. Looking forward , curentyl testing the tacic with the changes you asked. And how should I play the Striker? Here Charlie Austin? As a TM?

Thank you very much man for taking the time to answer and to analyse my tactic. Looking forward , curentyl testing the tacic with the changes you asked. And how should I play the Striker? Here Charlie Austin? As a TM?

The role you've got Charlie Austin playing in is his strongest, so see how well he does with those other changes having been implemented throughout the rest of the team. If it doesn't work for him, then try him or another of your forwards as a Target Man_Support (do you still have Graziano Pelle?) or Complete Forward_Support (may suit Jay Rodriguez). I have found the Advanced Forward_Attack and Poacher_Attack options work best when you have two players up front, with the other as a Deep Lying Forward_Support or Target Man_Support to play knock-ons and throughballs. I imagine a lone Advanced Forward_Attack gets isolated a fair bit and caught offside many, many times!