A genuine old school 4-4-2 from TheAlmightyMoses

woodphil7

Reaction score
Nobody plays 4-4-2 anymore...........

Wrong! This is where I try and prove the 4-4-2 formation works.

What do you need to make it a success?

Well a quality team always plays well with this tactic (In my experience) but you will want to invest in 2 high quality full-backs.
Lower Leagues (LL) - Good (9-13) Pace and Tackling.
Middle Leagues (MidL) - Good (10-14) Pace, Tackling, Heading, Dribbling and Crossing.
Top Leagues (TL) - Excellent (13+) All the above and very solid mental stats (11+)

Example of a world class full back (Regens are unreal!!) -

View attachment 262322

A Deep Lying Playmaker who can tackle.
LL - Tackling, Passing, Work Rate, Anticipation (9-12)
MidL - Above + Decisions and Strength (10-14)
TL - Above + Good Physicals and Mentals (12-20)

View attachment 262329

And Finally a rapid striker:-
LL - Pace and Acceleration - 11-14
MidL - Pace, Acceleration, Composure, Decisions- 13-16
TL - Above + Dribbling, Work Rate and Teamwork + any additional mental and physical stats- 14-20

This Video Shows the great power a poacher has in this tactic! My Poacher Oliseh (regenerated player) scores the first 4 then I substitute him and Hojlund (another regenerated player) scores the next 3!! Both from the poacher position.
(Remember to increase the resolution to make the video clearer)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-HpL7kIxDk

What have you achieved so far? (If you want to skip the background and get to the tactics, go to the BIG ASTERIX (*) !!)

Managing the mighty Tonbridge Angels (starting in Blue Square Bet South)

Honours -
Blue Square Bet South Champions 2012, Blue Square Bet Premier Champions 2016, English FA Trophy Winners 2016, NPower League 2 Champions 2017, NPower League 1 Champions 2018, NPower Championship Winners 2018.
Highest Premier League Finish was 4th in 2022.
Started Managing England in 2022 and so far.......

View attachment 262580

Big wins including 8-0 vs. Montenegro
England 8-0 Montenegro Football Manager 2012 Absolute Domination - YouTube
3-0 away against Germany.

Thats good but its just one game, where's the evidence?

Here are some images of my season in league one - Early season of Tonbridge Angels In League 1 with a terrible start, then Mid Season I altered my tactics and the results can be seen below. Going from 22nd-ish to 1st!

Biggest Results - (In league 1) Are surrounded by a red box except the first box which indicates the time I decided to change my tactic and haven't changed it since!
View attachment 267857View attachment 267858View attachment 267859

Here are the final Euro 2026 qualifying table standings for my England team. Averaging 4 goals per game.

View attachment 269037
* Tactic Tweaks in red
What Tactics Are You Using?

View attachment 262681 Left are my team instructions (Fig 1.)
Below are the partnership created by chosen player roles and some of the player instructions (Fig 2.)

View attachment 262687

Why those team instructions?
Philosophy - Fluid - I used to play rigid, but I believe this allows better build up play with more dynamic player movement.
Strategy - Control - This changes depending on the opposition, usually changes 3-4 times during a match also.
Playing strong defensive (mentality) team, which are difficult to break down I used 'Standard'
Playing superior teams (and very weak teams) I usually start Attacking, to try and grab an early goal
Passing Style - Shorter - Playing with LL teams you don't want stray long passing
Creative Freedom - More Disciplined - Don't needlessly lose possession
Closing Down - Press more - with high defense, you want to win the ball back quickly
Tackling - More Cautious - Prevents lots of players diving in.
Marking - Man - Set wingers, Strikers and Advanced Playmaker to Zonal to free them up to find space.
Crossing - Drill Crosses
Roaming - Stick to position - Lower league player need to be restricted to positions, for better teams this is altered for certain players in the player instructions
Defensive line - First Notch of Push Up - Win the ball back early
Width - Wide first notch - Give the players space by staying wide, but stay slightly compact to prevent long passes
Tempo - Normal highest notch - Keep the ball moving quickly
Focus passing - Mixed
Counter Attack - No
Play Offside - Yes
Playmaker - Advanced Midfielder - So he dictates the play
Target Man - Deep Lying Forward - To Feet - So he is the hub of the attack with wingers and poaching striker running off him.

I will update this thread very soon with results, tactics screenshots, Goals, Player instructions and more.....

UPDATE *
What in-game shouts do you use?

From the beginning I always use 'play the ball out of defense' (because I hate long balls that just get headed back!!)
Then depending on the opponent I will use 'hassle opponents' usually in the early stages of a match, because I will always try and grab an early goal. I also use it when it looks like a team is getting too much possession against me.
I also like to use 'retain possession' if I play team where I think I will dominate the midfield (usually against a team playing 4-4-2)

When trailing a game in the last 15 minutes or drawing and needing a win (at your own risk) I remove all current in-game shouts and change mentality to overload and use two shouts 'pump ball into the box' and 'take more risks' I do this to get to ball up the their end as quick as possible and get all players involved in the attack.

Do you ever change your formation?

Yes, but I only change it when completely neccessary for example playing a far superior team that play with 5 in the midfield in this case I wil usually have an attacking midfielder in the striker position of the 4-4-2 (usually the poacher) then during the pre-match setup I'll change the attacking midfielder into the midfield to a flat midfield 5 giving him the role of centre midfielder (attack) (PIC BELOW)
View attachment 267346 You may also wish if you are comfortable in possesion to switch your other attacker to a central defender (far right image) and this with further shut out the other team.

Also if winning against a good superior team I will remove a striker from the 4-4-2 and sub him for a centre back and form a flat back 5, no change in attacking mentality.

if you have weak fullbacks or if your 1st choice gets injured and the replacement isn't good, I will usually change their player role to attacking fullback and change the winger ahead of them to a defensive winger support, to protect them.

Download the tactic here !!!!
A Genuine Old School 4-4-2 - Downloads - Football Manager 2012 Tactics, Wonderkids & Cheats
Download the tactic here !!!!

TheAlmightyMoses.

P.s. Please let me know about any issues (this is my first post, so there is high chance there will be.) Thank you!

Last edited:
if you can get any ideas from my 442 feel free to use it

if you can get any ideas from my 442 feel free to use it

Yea that would be great, if anything I think my defense against top teams needs tweaking, saying that I have beaten Man City the last 3 times i've played them! Arsenal have an unreal team of regen players on my file though....
My tactic is in moderation at the moment. Should have put it on rapidshare.

4 Weeks

Hey everyone.

So it's been 4 weeks since I posted this up and have been updating and tweaking it since then.

Just wondering if anyone wants to share how this tactic was for them, good or bad.
I'm really interested to see how its going.

I have a great way of acquiring really good young players for lower league teams that I will share soon. Thinking of making a Youtube video what do people think?

Going to give this a go on my new Liverpool game.

Sick and tired of seeing 3 ST's formations so this could do the job.

Hey everyone.

So it's been 4 weeks since I posted this up and have been updating and tweaking it since then.

Just wondering if anyone wants to share how this tactic was for them, good or bad.
I'm really interested to see how its going.

I have a great way of acquiring really good young players for lower league teams that I will share soon. Thinking of making a Youtube video what do people think?

Don't keep us waiting lol! Only joking...sounds very interesting!

Also, its interesting that you manage in a very fluid style i.e. changing things like strategy during the match. I always thought this confused players that were used to playing a certain way so maybe adjusting my own style might reap rewards

Liverpool draw.

Going to give this a go on my new Liverpool game.

Sick and tired of seeing 3 ST's formations so this could do the job.

If you set your aim is to do better than the current Liverpool team, you can't go wrong! Ha ha!
Apologies I couldn't resist. Let me know how you get on!

I'm with you on the 3 Strikers, I like my old school Heskey - Owen style strike partnerships!

Last edited:

Also, its interesting that you manage in a very fluid style i.e. changing things like strategy during the match. I always thought this confused players that were used to playing a certain way so maybe adjusting my own style might reap rewards

I'm working on it this weekend! Remember if you subscribe to my youtube channel, you will be notified as soon as I upload the video!
TheAlmightyMoses's channel - YouTube

Here it is, Check out how to find all the youth players you need for free! Who says you can't win anything with kids!

Who said you can never win anything with kids? - YouTube

Here it is, Check out how to find all the youth players you need for free! Who says you can't win anything with kids!

Who said you can never win anything with kids? - YouTube

An interesting and straightforward way of obtaining decent youth....I myself have found setting the following player search filter works as well:

Nationality: EU (reduces work permit failures)

National Team: MAIN OR U21 OR U20 OR U19 (basically just choose whatever options are available here and choose OR)

Contract Status: Unattached

If you've got a decent database size then you can find some real gems here. Good for all teams, especially small teams as these players don't demand huge wages and can help you get promoted and be sold for great profit!

Looking at your video....creating a trial shortlist and adding players to that will save skipping back and forth...just right click on the player and add to shortlist and I'm pretty sure the screen will stay the same?

An interesting and straightforward way of obtaining decent youth....I myself have found setting the following player search filter works as well:

Nationality: EU (reduces work permit failures)

National Team: MAIN OR U21 OR U20 OR U19 (basically just choose whatever options are available here and choose OR)

Contract Status: Unattached

If you've got a decent database size then you can find some real gems here. Good for all teams, especially small teams as these players don't demand huge wages and can help you get promoted and be sold for great profit!

Looking at your video....creating a trial shortlist and adding players to that will save skipping back and forth...just right click on the player and add to shortlist and I'm pretty sure the screen will stay the same?

Nice, Thanks for that I'll try it, the good thing about the method I use, which I forgot to mention in the video is that actually a lot of players outside your scouting range become available when you look at youth departures. What I mean by that is, if you search using your parameters you will only find players depending on your scouting knowledge.
I saved so much money in the very lower leagues by not scouting any players at all and instead always getting them on trial to see if they are any good first.

I've tried you scoutlist idea, works well, adds another step, but also helps you keep track of the good youngsters, hopefully SI will sort it out for the next game.

Nice, Thanks for that I'll try it, the good thing about the method I use, which I forgot to mention in the video is that actually a lot of players outside your scouting range become available when you look at youth departures. What I mean by that is, if you search using your parameters you will only find players depending on your scouting knowledge.
I saved so much money in the very lower leagues by not scouting any players at all and instead always getting them on trial to see if they are any good first.

I've tried you scoutlist idea, works well, adds another step, but also helps you keep track of the good youngsters, hopefully SI will sort it out for the next game.

You make a valid point there and yes that is the one major weakness especially with smaller teams that your scouting range limits who you can effectively see. I think your method combined with mine should enable anyone to find some great youngsters on a shoestring budget.

You make a valid point there and yes that is the one major weakness especially with smaller teams that your scouting range limits who you can effectively see. I think your method combined with mine should enable anyone to find some great youngsters on a shoestring budget.

You do make a good point, I might make a second video drawing on both methods and the shortlist idea. Sure we can nab some pretty disgustingly good wonderkids that way!