Reaction score
Newcastle United. The Magpies. The Toon. Some of the most loyal fans in the country, a great stadium, a not bad first team, and a poor owner, along with director of football. Here are my simple tips as for how to succeed with them.

1) Know the team. Know the weaknesses and the strengths of the team, and buy smart. You've got a budget of 9.5 million from the start, along with an impressive if you set your ambition as being qualification to the Champions League, which isn't overly hard to accomplish.

The weakest area of the team is the left wing. Up front, you've got Remy (for a season) and Cisse, a not unreasonable front line. On the right wing, or advanced midfielder position, Hatem Ben Arfa is as good as just about anybody else in the league. In the center of the park, you should have no problems, with Cabaye, Sissoko, Anita and Tiote competing for position. In defense, you've got 3 quite good center defenders in Coloccini, Taylor and Mbiwa, although Coloccini is getting on a bit. On the left, you've got Santon, with cover provided from Haidara and Dummett. The other weak position is right back, because you've only got one player there who's any good, in Debuchy.

The best formation for Newcastle is (depending on your preference) a 4-1-2-2-1, or a 4-1-2-1-2. I personally prefer the former to the later, however the later works well if you don't want to make many transfers.

2) Sell smart. You need to sell before you can buy, in most circumstances. You've got quite a bit of deadwood in the squad, and you can flog quite a bit of it off, getting 4 million for Jonas Gutierrez, similar amounts for both Marveaux and Obertan, 2 million for Shola Ameobi and about 10-12 million for Cisse. Mike Ashley is likely to only let you have 90% of the transfer revenue, but that still gets you about 18 million or so to spend on new players, on top of the 9.5 million starting budget, which leads nicely onto the next point.

3) Buy right. You can't spend a huge amount at Newcastle. There's not a large enough revenue stream to allow it. But, if you pick and choose the right players, things can go really well for you.

First buy: If you prefer wide players, the first buy should be a good left winger/inside forward. I personally prefer Tom Ince, but I'm aware some others are not so keen on him.

After that buy, or as the first buy if you are choosing not to play with wider players, your next buy should be for the future of your defense. If you hadn't guessed it, it should be Edger Alvarez Balanta. You can get him for 10-13 million, and paying half of it by monthly installments should allow you to move on to a very good striker as well, as Remy and Cisse probably aren't enough to challenge for Top 4. However, this lad is the must buy player for Newcastle, as he develops fast, and very well. He turns out to be arguably the best defender in the game.

The next buy, for me, would be Leandro Damiao. He's available for the ridiculously low price of 5-6 million, and becomes one of the best strikers in the league. He works well as an advanced forward, a deep lying forward and as a poacher, and always teams up brilliantly with Hatem Ben Arfa for me.

The next recommended buy is an obvious one, Will Hughes. The derby wonderkid does a not-bad job as a rotation and cup player first season, and becomes a great all round midfielder in most games, with the only two midfielders that tend to be better than him being Paul Pogba and Marco Verrati. He's avaliable for 6 million pounds.

My reserve right back recommendation is to get Anthony Reveillere. He's a 33 year old right back, on a free transfer, and just provides a little bit more depth to the squad, that is going to be needed.

If you find yourself wanting a little bit more money, Cabaye goes for 20-25 Million, if you flog him out, and there are more than adequate replacements for him avaliable for far less than that. You can get Keisuke Honda straight away for about 1.5 million, and he provides a lot of revenue from shirt sales, as well as a good midfield option.

4) Look after your youngsters.

Newcastle has a couple of good youngsters, Adam Campbell, Alex Gillead, Olivier Kemen, Gael Bigirimana, Sammy Ameobi, Massadio Haidara and Paul Dummett. Adam Campbell becomes a very good advanced forward, or poacher, and the others can end up very reliable rotation options. Newcastle doesn't have a very high revenue stream, so improving youth facilities is highly recommended.

5) Sell a first team player every second season at the latest. Newcastle have very low levels of financial clout, and it's important to keep above ffp. Selling a first team player every so often to generate 20 million or so, is an easy way to ensure that you don't end up with point deductions or bans from Europe.

Oh, I almost forgot.

6) SACK JOE KINNEAR! He's never bought well for me, and getting rid of him is what I consider to be the most important start to a Newcastle save.

Hope you enjoy this. Feel free to post other successes you've had with the Toon, and what you've done differently from this, if anything. I'd love to know how everyone else does.