A Guide to Formations and Tactics in FM

And one more thing. The three CMs involved a lot of swapping between all the three. That's something I've not figured out in FM. How do you make three people swap positions automatically, without the need for you to go to the tactics screen and manually change them?

I can swap the positions of two players (I guess everyone can) but three...Ive not figured it.

Annoyingly, don't think it's possible to make three rotate between positions.

when we play 4-5-1 formation (gk-goalkeeper defend, dr-full back automatic, dl-full back attack, dc-central defender defend, dmc-defensive midfielder defend, mcr-advanced playmaker attack, mcl-central midfielfder support, amr-winger attack, aml-inside forward attack, st-????)
how set up a lone striker what duty and role give him???

GodCubed said:
Another variant is the attack-minded 4-3-2-1, in which three midfielders play behind two attacking midfielders and one striker.

I'm currently playing a 4-2-3-1 with the '2' being central midfields not defensive midfielders. In the guide the 4-2-3-1 used defensive midfielders insted and as the 4-3-2-1 is described as 'attack-minded' I'm wondering if my formation would be regarded as an overly-attacking formation? Or maybe I've misunderstood?

I'm currently playing a 4-2-3-1 with the '2' being central midfields not defensive midfielders. In the guide the 4-2-3-1 used defensive midfielders insted and as the 4-3-2-1 is described as 'attack-minded' I'm wondering if my formation would be regarded as an overly-attacking formation? Or maybe I've misunderstood?

So you're playing a 4-2-3-1 with two attack-minded midfielders?

If so, it's likely it's pretty attacking, yeah. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, mind, so long as you don't concede too many. If you do, though, then that's the thing to change.

So you're playing a 4-2-3-1 with two attack-minded midfielders?

If so, it's likely it's pretty attacking, yeah. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, mind, so long as you don't concede too many. If you do, though, then that's the thing to change.

It's a bit of a toss-up really as the opposition seem to score from a large amount of the attacks I see (I have highlights on key) but the majority of the highlights are with me in possession because it's such a controlling tactic. Might give the 2 DMCs a go and see what happens. I'm just wary of losing the control of the game

It's a bit of a toss-up really as the opposition seem to score from a large amount of the attacks I see (I have highlights on key) but the majority of the highlights are with me in possession because it's such a controlling tactic. Might give the 2 DMCs a go and see what happens. I'm just wary of losing the control of the game

Wait one second. Just reread your other post. You're playing a 4-2-3-1 with the two deeper midfielders playing as MCs rather than DMs? Well that's fine. What players are they? There's very little difference between the 4-2-3-1 and 4-2-3-1 with higher midfielders, I just like the former as it allows players to break from deep and restrict opposition AMs more. A 4-2-3-1 with higher midfielders usually means you control possession more, however.

It was Tom Cairney and Sammy Clingan but I've recently signed Alejandro Faulin so he'll be replacing one of them. This is for Wednesday newly promoted to the Championship btw.

I know it's kind of an old article, but thought I would give you a heads up anyway..

I think I might maked the 3-3-1-3 (Chile style) work, with Besiktas in The Turkish Superlig. I am in the middle of season 14/15 and so far I've won 12, draw 2 and lost 1 (scoring 1-3.7 goal ratio). Only using 3-3-1-3.

Thanks for a truly awesome article!

PS. English isn't my first language, so sorry for any mistakes :)

Last edited: