safcstaples

Reaction score
A Guide To Sunderland (11.3)
safc_badge.gif

Name Sunderland
Nation: England
Division: Premier League
Chairman: Niall Quinn
Stadium: Stadium Of Light (48747 Capacity)
Founded:1879
Start Of Season Expectations-Top Half Finish-16.25M Transfer Budget And 925K Wage Budget

Squad
Goalkeepers
Craig Gordon: Scottish International with great reflexes and aerial ability.Starts off injured,but definatly worth keeping.

Simon Mignolet: Belgian Prospect with heaps of potential,Excellent at One on One's and jumping.Superb Backup for Craig Gordon.

Defenders

Marcos Angeleri: Argentine Intenational who isnt of premier league standard.I'd be looking to sell him as soon as possible.

Phil Bardsley: Good as a backup RB/LB with great determination and stamina.Worth keeping as backup.

Nedum Onouha: On loan from manchester city.Just an old school style defender.Definatly should be considered in the starting 11.

Kieran Richardson: Mainly used as sunderland's starting left back,he is a very versitile player who really shouldnt be playing in defence.Maybe look to use him as a backup midfielder.

John Mensah: Another old school defender,but he is vulnerable to injury throughout the season,he is on loan from Lyon but sunderland are paying 100% of his £35,000 wages.Terminate the loan as soon as possible.

Michael Turner: English Centre Back with superb heading and tackling,he could turn out to play a very important role in the black cats side.

Titus Bramble: Famous for making mistakes in his career,but ive found Bramble to be a quite consistant centre back.Worth Keeping.

Ahmed El-Mohammady: Egyptian International On Loan At Sunderland,Ability wise hes not the best but being able to play anywhere on the right side of the pitch and only being on £2500 a week,hes worth keeping as a backup player.

Midfielders

Sulley Muntari: On loan from inter milan,with his good technical skills he can be used as the main playmaker from the centre midfield position.

Lee Cattermole: A very aggressive,North east born lad,Should be used to partner Muntari in centre midfield.His temper can get the better of him sometimes so just be careful.

Cristian Riveros: Signed by Steve Bruce after a succesful spell at the world cup,hes never really had chance to prove himself but his stats show he would be decent cover for lee cattermole.

Jordan Henderson: Decent winger with huge potential,personally i dont think hes ready for the premier league yet,so try loaning him out for a season so he can get some first team football.

Jack Colback: Never really lived up to his potential after coming through the academy,id look to sell him as soon as possible.

Steed Malbranque: Experienced Midfielder who maybe only has a good season or two left in him,sell him now or use him as cover across the midfield.

Stephane Sessegnon: A full backs worst nightmare,superb dribbling and pace which will cause defenders nightmares,Should be used on the right wing.

Boudewijn Zenden: Premier league veteran,at his age he lacks ability compared to the rest of the league,and with him being on £30,000 a week he should be sold as soon as possible.

Strikers

Asamoah Gyan: Considered Sunderland best striker since Darren Bent left the club,has a huge responsibilty to score the majority of the clubs goals and has the ability to do this.

Frazier Campbell: Probably not of the high standard set by the other premier league strikers but must be kept due to the clubs small amount of strikers.

Danny Welbeck: (On Loan From Manchester United).Good player with even more potential but just like Campbell,hes not good enough to be starting for a premier league team.

Ins And Outs
Ins
Peter Masilela-(Maccabi Haifa)-250K
Stephen Carr-(Birmingham City)-2M
Vaclav Kadlec-(Sparta Prague)-1.5M
Eden Hazard-(Lille)-Loan
Liam Ridgewell-(Birmingham City)-5m-7m

Outs
Marcos Angeleri
John Mensah
Jordan Henderson (Loan)
Jack Colback
Boudewijn Zenden
Steed Malbranque (Possibly)

Formation

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=4180 (Thanks JP Woody)

You need a strong midfielder (Cattermole) with good tackling attributes to play in the ball winning midfielder role.

Play your strongest CB with the best heading on the right of your 2 CBs, he will then attack the far post at corners where they are aimed and should contribute a tidy sum of goals to your campaign.

Pitch size should be standard.

Dont change. Use for both home and away.

No opposition Instructions to be used.

Match Preparation responsibilities to be given to your assistant.

I am not so sure about buying Carr for 2 million, he's on his last legs

Angeleri can start at right back ahead of Bardsley, he's rated more highly than Bardsley by the assistant (unlike real life but oh well)

Ridgewell is a decent defender but is somewhat slow for a left back

Do agree with Kadlec though, he joined Atletico Madrid in my save instead of me though :'(

I have already started a save, bought:
Luis Guilherme (backup keeper for Mignolet), that third keeper Trevor Carson is unforgivably bad
Galeano (starting DC)
Erik Pieters (starting LB)
Leandro Grimi on loan(backup LB)
Romario (prospect RB)
Sergio Araujo (prospect striker, will get some games)
Atila Turan (prospect LB)
Sergio Oliveira (prospect DM)
Martin Zeman (left winger prospect, rotation with Biseswar)
Diego Biseswar ( left winger on rotation with Zeman

Ahmed Soukouna and Gael Ndunludu also signed, both on frees

Galeano and Turan are on installments, rest were directly paid off

For me Jordan Henderson is my first team right winger, Sessegnon is my AMC :wub:

Can't believe how many people Sunderland have on loan now, Muntari, Onuoha, Elmo, Welbeck and Mensah

Oh yeah, you don't have to underline the whole guide do you? (A)

Last edited:
Good guide mate, Carr actually has quite decent stats last time I checked and may be good as a short term option, but I wouldn't pay £2m for a 34 year old

I am currently enjoying a Sunderland save (3rd Season)

A decent guide although I wouldn't recommend loaning out Jordan Henderson , I started him most games in the first season as a B2B Midfielder and his average rating was something like 7.40.

Underlined text seems a bit messy, nonethless it's a great guide. I love playing as Sunderland, as they can attract quality players unlike most mid-table teams. :)

No!! Don't loan Henderson. He is amazing! Play him as a box-to-box.

Also, you can get better Defenders than Carr etc for the price.

Yes, Kadlec is a good buy. But 'd also reccommend Chrisitan Benitez - he can be bought extremely cheap from Santos Laguna (?)

Very good guide, although don't you sort of contradict yourself when you say you should sell Malbranque because he is on his last couple of seasons, only to then say you should buy Carr despite him also being ancient?

Other than that, very good.