A.I. trigger happy youth player purchases

Yurt

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed or does anyone else agree that AI teams in the game, particularly the big clubs, seem to be forking out an unrealistic amount of money for other teams' youth players? I'm seeing a lot of players move for comparatively large sums of money before they have even turned 18, and therefore had a chance to prove their worth. For example, Man Utd just paid 5 MILLION POUNDS for a 16 YEAR OLD newgen from Middlesbrough in my save. Admittedly he'd made 1 senior appearance, so I guess that's an indicator to his potential, but I am frequently seeing players transferring between Under 18 teams for in excess of a million pounds, and I reckon this is a bit unrealistic. I am aware that teams often pilfer players from other youth systems, but in-game it seems like the top clubs are just sending their scouts out and spotting all the players with good potential before they could realistically have shown it, and then buying them. This means young players in the lower leagues and also from abroad don't first turn heads with their performances for their respective clubs, inducing a battle for their signature from higher ranked teams - as is often the case in real life. Just a little gripe I have. Thoughts?

I have noticed that but clauses could play a massive part in that, as like Rooney and Walcott in real like, who to use where signed for a ridiculous amount but then you discover there is clauses...so maybe man utd pay 1mil now, 2mil when plays 30 games for man u and 2mil when he plays for his national team, well, thats what i do, just to feel that little more realistic lool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it could be a just in case he does get good kind of thing. But i dont think the scouting system is realistic of fm, its a bit too easy, i dont think you should be allowed to scout a player once and then it tells us his potential, after 5-10 then yeah, but not just a scout report, and surely its the clubs opinion of judging how much there player could cost you, so maybe sending you scout to speak to there club could be a good thing for FM15

Just noticed that Man Utd payed 2.4m for a 15 year old kid from Olympiacos (only weeks after he'd spawned, in fact) who happens to be only FIVE FEET TALL! I've never seen a player this short before! IMO forking out 2.4m for a professional footballer who is only 5 foot and hasn't played a single game is a bit... mental.

Just noticed that Man Utd payed 2.4m for a 15 year old kid from Olympiacos (only weeks after he'd spawned, in fact) who happens to be only FIVE FEET TALL! I've never seen a player this short before! IMO forking out 2.4m for a professional footballer who is only 5 foot and hasn't played a single game is a bit... mental.

I tried to defend FM but thats just ridiculous lool, Olympiakos themselves don't even know if he's good yet

Here's another crazy one: Chelsea just paid 5m for an 18 year old Man Utd GK who obviously hasn't made a first team appearance, or even played at U19 international level... not sure what they have to go on in terms of thinking he's worth 5 million quid! Also made especially ridiculous that the transfer is from Man Utd to Chelsea...

Here's another crazy one: Chelsea just paid 5m for an 18 year old Man Utd GK who obviously hasn't made a first team appearance, or even played at U19 international level... not sure what they have to go on in terms of thinking he's worth 5 million quid! Also made especially ridiculous that the transfer is from Man Utd to Chelsea...

ehm, Juan Mata?.......it does happen sometimes.

I do not have a problem with this issue because i believe their transfer values is based on their potentials. These are youth players so its fair enough i will not complain. But what i do not like is how these bids get accepted & when i join in the race to sign the player i seem to be expected to bid way more than what others teams have done. Its like the game notices your the human user & will all of a sudden demand a ridiculous fee specifically from you

They need to be ompetitive with user teams. If I can spend 5 or so million on a quality youngster so should the ai.

ehm, Juan Mata?.......it does happen sometimes.

ehm, Juan Mata is a completely different situation. The guy has played in the Premiership for 2+ seasons, and the transfer has its own back story of which I'm sure you are aware. An 18 year old unproven GK making a 5 million pound switch between Premier League rivals is completely different and, given that it is a very regular occurrence in-game, is unrealistic.

They need to be ompetitive with user teams. If I can spend 5 or so million on a quality youngster so should the ai.

This I agree with; I'm sure all of us have many times in the past overloaded on prepubscent Brazilian newgens because our scouts have somehow tipped them to be world beaters, so it makes sense that the A.I. should have this capacity also. It's just that I'm doing an international save at the moment so advancing quite quickly, and I'm seeing far too often the Premier League's big three (Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea) paying in excess of 5 million for 16 year olds who haven't even made an appearance for their respective clubs' reserve teams. It's loco.

just because they haven't played doesn't mean their potential stat isn't north of 170.

Which is what the AI see's. They don't scout based on available real world data.

just because they haven't played doesn't mean their potential stat isn't north of 170.

Which is what the AI see's. They don't scout based on available real world data.

That's the point I'm making dude.

Nothing wrong with it, most top teams sign young players for well over a million, you don't realise though because the vast majority of it will be in clauses. Sterling is a prime example of this, 14/15 at the time and signed for 800k with clauses that could take it to ~5mil most clubs don't really disclose how much they spend on young players and you never really pay it much attention.

Furthermore in game like Yurt said you'll often fill your own team with brilliant young players that you've had to pay a fair amount for, it makes sense that the ai are able to do the same.

That's the point I'm making dude.

I thought your point was that it was loco.

My point is that there currently isn't any other choice.

I'm sure SI could spend some time and work on the code and make it where the youth player has to actually play and produce at some level before offering.