lukec15

Reaction score
This is my first story so if you have any constructive criticism feel free to say, thanks.

4 years after the injury and im still doing nothing with my life, twenty six years old and I still have nothing to show for it. Those years ago where i was a budding footballer i wish back for every morning and evening of my life. Sure I have my coaching badges but so far all thats helped me do was to become a defensive coach for Basingstoke town, my local side. Although this was okay, i felt i was a better player than half of the players in the first team and couldn't bare to waste my career like that, i left midway through the season.

After that i waited around for a decent job in football for a few years but without one coming along i realised that i needed to bring some money in with a 'proper job'. I worked various jobs, from hot dog salesman to an office worker. Overall, i realised i couldn't do these jobs, i wasn't a person who could work 9-5, all i wanted to do was be involved in the game i love, football.

I set about applying for any jobs that came available, league 2 and up.(I couldn't be in a blue square or lower again in fear of feeling like i did at Basingstoke town. From manager to scout and in some of the bigger clubs i also put in office job vacancies, no luck.

I'd just sent off my CV to Huddersfield Town, i saw that as unlikely but you never know, as i said i offer for everything. Lee Clark had been sacked just before the start of the season. He'd held a very contreversial press conference in which he said how unsupportive the board was and that he deserved a job at higher level. Well anyway, the board basicaly told him to go and get one and sent him packing straight away. I dont know if he knows how lucky he is, throwing away a job at a club with the potential that Huddersfield has, quite frankly it amazes me, what an idiot.

3 Days Later

So many people had been linked with the Huddersfield vacancy, including Iain Dowie and Dave Jones, so i'd pritty much written off my chances of getting the job. Well that was the case until i recieved a phone call.

I picked up the phone to hear this:
'Hi this is Dean Hoyle'
I could hardly believe it, the Huddersfield chairman, contacting me?!
'Hello'
'Look you know why im on the phone, we have a managerial position that needs filling, and we believe you have credentials. Obviously this isn't a done deal by any means, but i'd love to meet you to discuss it?'
'Y.. yes of course Mr Hoyle'
'Please call me Dean, Luke. Anyway, what about dinner in Huddersfield tomorrow? My secretary will ring to inform you of the details.'
'yes,yes thankyou so much. I look forward to it.'

This was potentially the biggest chance of my life, and i couldn't help but worry, still i was ready, I'm sure I am, i deserve it.

I got the job!

The meeting went well and i got the job, me and dean hoyle decided upon a 2 year contract worth £1000 p/pw. To be honest I didn't even care about the wages, I was just delighted to be back in football, and with such a good and promising club. I was buzzing to meet the players and the staff and couldn't thank Dean Hoyle enough, as he had literally changed my life. The one aspect i was worried about was the fans as not suprisingly they weren't completely impressed with such a 'rookie' or someone with such a lack of experience taking control of the club, but i knew that with the right results the fans would love anyone.

Pre season results and signings

I was delighted upon meeting the players and staff they were a great bunch, raring to go and aiming for exactly the same thing as me, promotion. I'd assessed where i thought i needed to improve, and generally i looked for players to improve the current squad as the only place i was certain i needed to improve was goalkeeper, only short term however as i'm thoroughly looking forward to the return of Alex Smithies, a youth keeper who could really be something in the future, but currently being held back by a 5 month injury, dissapointingly. However after assessing my options, these are the players i chose.

Sammy Ameobi- 3 month loan- Newcastle United
A quality player no doubt at this level, if it works out here i will definately be looking to extend the loan.

Benik Afobe- full season loan-Arsenal
Another good striker, that i know has goals in him at this level, these two will look to play with the goalscoring striker we already have at this club, Jordan Rhodes.

Stephen Jordan- Free transfer
A good, solid left back that will provide some experience to the squad and back line.

Ben amos- 3 month loan-Manchester United
A good youth product borrowed from the champions, depending on the recovery from Alex Smithies, I could look to extend that loan.

Marco Materazzi-free transfer
Well known centre back, ageing but with that brings experience.

Josh Wright-free transfer
young central midfielder with big potential, realesed by scunthorpe last season, which i see as a mistake on their behalf.

Yassin Moutaouakil-free transfer
Good right full back who i believe will give us quality going forward and backwards.

I also got rid of just two players for a combined fee off £260,000. Those players were - Alan Lee who left for Inverness for £30,000 and Gary Roberts who left to Watford for £230,000.

Pre Season Results
Now to be honest, I wasn't bothered about the results here, I was more interested in the team gelling together. I didn't attend the majourity of the games, spending more times looking into possible signings to improve the team for the season ahead. (I will add screenshots and a reaction, goalscores etc for actual league games.)

Partick Thistle 0-3 Huddersfield
Southend 2-1 Huddersfield
Huddersfield 1-2 Nottingham Forest
Salisbury 0-3 Huddersfield
Kettering 0-5 Huddersfield

All in all a good pre-season if you overlook the Southend game, i believe my team does possess the ability and team spirit to force into a playoff spot. I'm thoroughly looking forward to the learning curve that will be my first year in management, up the Terriers!

August Review

My first real games of management, i had a mixture of nerves and excitement in me. Watching my team warm up before the Brentford game i knew my squad had the strength and depth to not only get a playoff spot but challenge for the league, but obviously if that didnt happen there would only be one person blamed, me. For my inexperience, anyway i was quietly confident that despite my inexperience my Huddersfield could challenge for honours this season.

Brentford 0-3 Huddersfield-L1
View attachment 216518

What a result and performance, we deserved it. Dominating in almost every area of the game. However and bad point would be that we wern't nearly clinical enough, well our strikers wern't, that wasn't the case for Joey Gudjonsson who took it upon himself to score two screamers and a one on one to show everyone in the decision our aims on day one.

Huddersfield 3-1 Crewe - League cup first round

View attachment 216519

Another good result, i wasn't to bothered about the league cup but saw this game as one we should proceed from, hoping to draw someone big in the next round, i'd like a bit of money from playing the big clubs. However when the draw came along it was Millwall at home we got. Not a bad draw and a chance at an upset against a championship club after all 3 midfielders won us the game today.

Huddersfield 1-0 Walsall-L1

Anton Robinson (15)

screenshots not loading,not sure why will try to fix for next update.

A distinctly average performance in a game we were lucky to win, can't play like this too many times this season and hope to go up, but as many managers said they will take a 1-0 win every week, and i completely agree with that. The single goal from anton Robinson in the 15th minute gave us the win.

Mk Dons 3-1 Huddersfield-L1

Jordan Rhodes (43) Yassin Moutaouakil s/o (30)

Our first loss and we deserved it, not the worst performance but we didn't put our chances away. Was always going to be hard when Yassin picked up two yellows in the space of three minutes, idiot. Oh well, we'll take it on the chin and improve for next week.

Huddersfield 3-0 Carlisle-L1

Lee Novak (68,78) Benik Afobe (88)

What a performance, erased memories of Mk Dons with a champions performace, Lee Novak off the bench to change the game and earn himself a first team spot infront of the poor Sammy Ameobi, more of the same please Huddersfield!

Huddersfield 2-2 Millwall - Huddersfield win 2-0 on penalties- League cup 2nd round

Peter Clark (8) Jordan Rhodes (37)

Positives and negatives from this one, positive obviously beating a championship team and turning in a good performance, well for 45 minutes anyway. Negative was throwing away a 2-0 lead at home but the boys thankfully pulled through, due to Millwall taking penalties like my mum! The best bit however the draw, CHELSEA AWAY.

Exeter 0-2 Huddersfield-L1

Sammy Ameobi (74) Joey Gudjonsson (85)

Good solid, away performance. After kicking Sammy Ameobi up the **** it seems to have worked with him coming off the bench to give us the lead, with Joey Gudjonsson giving us a cushion. Bad news is Benik Afobe out for 6 weeks, i believe however we have the quality upfront to get goals from elsewhere.

Notts County 0-3 Huddersfield - Johnstons Paint Trophy

Marco Materazzi (1) Lee Novak (29) Anton Robinson (69)

Good performance in a competition im hopeful of going a long way in, not the most important thing but one that could be helpful in creating me a transfer budget. Decent goals,one from every area on the pitch which is always good.

A good month, only one loss which is very pleasing. Team works together well and there getting more and more used to the formation. But one good month doesnt mean anything, we need to continue to prove ourselves against the bigger teams in the league. We're currently lieing top on goal difference and ill look to provide a screenie when they work for me again. Any readers got any crticism or ways to improve the story please say..:)