Your center backs have basically no protection from the flanks, so either they spread out and cover the wide spaces, leaving you vulnerable in the channels, or your opponent has a ton of space out wide. From where are you conceding shots/what type of shots are they?

As far as your attack goes, you really only have one player who's going to stretch the defense horizontally, so despite your "work the ball in" instruction, most of your shots are going to come from the center of the pitch, which is going to be crowded and compressed, so you're going to be taking a lot of speculative shots and half-chances. Additionally, your Raumdeuter role isn't going to be very effective in that setup because he's going to have very little Raum he can deuten.

Basically, you need to introduce some balance and width to your attack to open up spaces in the defense, and you need protection for your center backs out wide, lest you fall victim to the same thing to which Guardiola's teams have consistently found themselves vulnerable: counterattacks down the flanks.

I concede shots from the right flank and the center, should I switch rhe Raumdeuter to a IF.
JackThomas, I am gonna look at your tactic, thanks.

You can switch the Raumdeuter to anything, it doesn't change the fact that there's a huge space down the right hand side. The regista also pushes up, so not even he is covering there. Defensively, you don't have any balance.

You can switch the Raumdeuter to anything, it doesn't change the fact that there's a huge space down the right hand side. The regista also pushes up, so not even he is covering there. Defensively, you don't have any balance.

i think my tactic above deals with this problem whilst providing attacking width.

Last edited:
You seem to have very much the same issue. Huge gap on the right. Your team is split into 2 as well. It'll be a mad scramble, but maybe the 3 in the middle can scramble to save the open wings.

Yep, i see what you're saying though i guess you're going to have an imbalance somewhere with any kind of asymmetric formation by the very nature of it right? the OP was interested in a 3/4 at the back style, which by definition is going leave a hole somewhere!

With my one you'll find that out of possession the CWBL tends to drop back in and the right sided centre-back becomes a right back by default, the player instructions also play a big part in avoiding the "scramble to save the open wings" that you mention.
For example the right winger is set to hold position which minimises the open space on that side, both in possession when the left back pushes up and leaves you with a back 3, and out of possession when the left back defends and that back 3 becomes a 4. Its not perfect but its one way of looking at the problem, any thoughts would be welcome!

Last edited:
If you are thinking a Guardiola concept in playing the tiki taka short passing gameplay there is a great guide here in this video. Its worth a watch.

[video=youtube;tLHoyrCpLxE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLHoyrCpLxE[/video]

Last edited:
If you are thinking a Guardiola concept in playing the tiki taka short passing gameplay there is a great guide here in this video. Its worth a watch.

[video=youtube;tLHoyrCpLxE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLHoyrCpLxE[/video]

good video, but unfortunately he doesn't say if the creation of space is by team shape or by player duties.

Pep ?

I made a Tactic some days ago based on Peps debut game against sunderland.
The concept of controlling the game, wing backs to move "inside" for midfield to be able to outnoumber the midfield. Playing the defending as ball playing CB with fast pace cause they will press really high up and then having half back in the DM position to come back in defense and made it a 3 man or 5 man defense. Having just 1 CM player, playing the role of roaming play maker. Top 4 attackera nothing special, 2 inside forward on the flanks that cut in, 1 attackens midfielder and 1 poacher/false nine.

To be honest im surprised of how well the tactic has been, ive started my save with leyton orient in sky bet 2. Won the leauge by 10ish points.

Noticeable is that the attacking midfielder and the roaming playmaker must be of good quality, striker is the least "priority" here.

if you or somebody else wants to try the tactic out, inbox me. Its the first time i fully Tweak a tactic and its ready to be tested by others.

I do have to admit my striker scored around 22ish goals that season but im still not happy with the goals, so the striker part is currently being worked on but from my experience of this years FM its hard having a striker being the Killing forward, the IFa are OP.