A Life Less Ordinary

March

'Manager of the Month'
With only two games into my managerial career and the first month, I was awarded manager of the month. It was a nice surprise as we didn't win our two games! The Chairman said to the media that he was proud of the award and my work rate! So, I requested to extend my contract but it was not recommended!

The Curse
With the manager of the month award came the curse of not living up to that expectation the following month. We would go on to lose our next FOUR league games!

Tuesday, 1st March '22
CORK CITY v ATHLONE TOWN
First Division Match 3
Another long journey south, a six hour round trip! We changed a number of players as we had a few games in a short space of time. We were outfought and outplayed. They scored a goal in the sixth minute and very little happened after that!

Full-time: 1-0

Friday, 4th March '22
ATHLONE TOWN v BRAY WANDERERS
First Division Match 4
This is a game I fancied ourselves. We put out the strongest side we had. Bray will be mid table or lower and to win this game was important.
Within 25 seconds we were a goal down! Their attack started at their right full back who hit it long up the line to their right winger, his first time cross found an unmarked Feeney who headed down and into the corner giving the keeper no chance! I was fuming but there was plenty of time left.
Almost twenty minutes, our centre back Mutawe hits a long ball forward for Mahony to run onto. He's just outside the box and their defender acrimoniously takes him down. The referee has not other option but to send him off. With the resulting free kick, Connolly strikes it well but it bounces off the crossbar and cleared by the Bray defence. We put the pressure on but could not get an equaliser as we head into the break a goal down.
Just five minutes into the second half Bray get another goal! A cross from the left to an unmarked McSweeney who shoots into the corner.
With a wave of attack, corners, free kicks, attacks down the flanks and long balls forward the Bray defence stood firm. However on 85 minutes we were level! Not in the score but in red cards, Oluwa our talented forward had already been booked but alleged to have handled the ball and was given his marching orders!
A disappointing defeat, especially to one of the teams around us, at home! We went in with high expectations but left with our heads down.

Full-time: 0-2

Friday, 11th March '22
ATHLONE TOWN v GALWAY UNITED
First Division Match 5

Another derby, unfortunately the performance wasn't as good as the first derby against Longford. Goals galore, six in total with Galway getting four!
We were three down at half time. We came out a different side and managed to pull two goals back within the first 15 minutes of the second half. Armstrong with a penalty and Doyle scoring from a long ball forward. We went for the equaliser but with that we left gaps at the back and Galway took advantage. They wrapped up the game on 82 minutes.

Full-time: 2-4

Friday, 18th March '22
WATERFORD v ATHLONE TOWN
First Division Match 6

The day after St. Patricks Day! Not a sober man in the country. Well we felt fairly sober after leaving another long trip down south to Waterford. It can only be described as a hammering! We weren't in the game at all. They were a different class. Three goals that could all have been prevented was it not for a bad backline and poor keeper

Full-time: 3-0

Friday, 25th March '22
TREATY UNITED v ATHLONE TOWN
First Division Match 7

Another trip down south, and were in the midlands! This time only a two drive to there and two hour back. We had been battered and bruised from the previous four games. All defeats. We needed to stop the rot. Losing here was not an option. The fans would be calling for my head if we didn't get something from the game.
We couldnt have stareted the match any better. Goals from Oluwa and Doyle inside the first ten minutes put our 20 travelling fans at ease. We were in total control. But being the side that we are we didnt kill off the game. Treaty got a goal back early in the second half but we managed to hold and get three valuable points.
Our first win away from home, our first ever win over Treaty, as they only joined the league this year.

Full-time: 1-2

Transfers In
Three players were recruited during the month, Cunningham and Doyle are both strikers and Horgan is a keeper. All were at the club on trial and given contracts. The squad is building, we still have some dead wood but it's slowly coming together.

Next Month:
We have five league games in April. Three at home and two away. Only one is against the so called top sides in the division. Otherwise I'd like to pick up a good few points in this month.

Last edited:
Great to see a league of Ireland story. As a Drogheda united fan I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
APRIL
When we're good, we're good. But when we're bad, we're BRUTAL!!!
A mix of emotions in April winning three a
nd losing miserably twice!
If you looked at the performances, you would think that they are two different sides, but no ......

We had a good start to the month. A solid 3-1 at home to Wexford, followed by a 2-0 win again at home to bottom of the table Cobh.

We came up against the local rivals Longford in the third match of the month. Over hyped again by the media but the pressure didnt show on the players. We knew Longford would be out to get us from our beating we gave them at the start of the season but maybe the pressure got to them as we started the better team. We got a deserved goal on 9 minutes when a long ball from Mutawe was collected by Mahony and his shot went low and hard past the keeper. We kept the pressure up but we couldnt find another goal before the break. It didnt take us long to get the all important second goal. Mahony again raced onto a long ball, this time from our left back Jones. He was in the clear and just about to shoot when his legs were taken from underneath him. The referee points to the spot. Oluwa stepped up and shot into the corner of the net leaving the keeper with little chance of saving. We shut up shop and kept it it two nil. Our first win away from home and its against the enemy. That four wins on the trot, could play offs be a realistic target for the season.

The next two games really brought us down to earth. We knew a tricky tie against Cork was up next and then we would have a chance to get revenge on an average Bray side who beat us two nil already this season. What came from the two games is nothing short of shocking. Nine goals conceded, with three scored. Sure, I wanted the lads to attack but in a controlled manner! We were outplayed and outfought against Cork, the game finishing 5-2 to them, and it was at home to make it worse! We then went to Bray and got hammered 4-1!

A month of up and downs but even though it was a disappointing end, we beat three teams around us. We end the month in 5th place with 16 points from 12 games. The target of 32 points is definitely doable.

Next month our tough run of games continue as we play two other professional sides, Waterford first at home, followed by a trip to Galway four days later. We play Treaty at home followed Wexford away and then we have a weekend off as there are nine teams in the division.

Both Bulgarians put in a transfer request as they weren't getting much playing time. Velikin moved to Louisville for almost 5,000 euros. Dolia got injured and is still listed but because of his injury no offers has been made so far.

With Velikin moving on, we signed 23 year old keeper Ross Treacy. He's a better keeper than Velikin and he talks English which is also a bonus. His wages is also lower so we did well I think.