A little discussion regrading some things that seems odd in FM16

Vanjagl

Premium
Reaction score
Hello. First of all, this is not a rage post. I'm wondering if everyone else is having some strange pattern issues in their games as I am, regardless of instructions. Ok, here we go.

1) Control tempo.
Winger gets ball into wide area, beats fullback, waits for fullback to recover, draws another players on himself, gets on the corner line in the 16 yard box and then shoots. No matter what, shoots. And it's always dangerous, according to match commentator.
Second issue is - fullbacks. They get ball in wide area, they dribble a bit, then pass it to midfield, midfield stretch the play and get fullback completely free on the other side and then fullback simply.slows.dooowwwnn.theeeee.gaaammmmmmeeeeee, and then pass it back to the midfield. They are fully open, yet, no crosses. No, it's not down to instructions, they are instructed to cross more often, to pass direct and to take more risky passes ( god forbid one of your crosses don't connect, eh Van Gaal? )

2) Red cards.
Whats the point of them? Do the even affect the game? I haven't seen it so far. Example, I just finished game on FM so my memory is fresh, I was leading 1-0 against Milan, then they got red card, their left back Zeca. And then they scored 2 goals and won the game. There is plenty other examples of this, both in my and opps favor. Does it happen for you guys too?

3) Possession and man marking
Sometimes, it's impossible to get the ball back from AI. I'm sure AI feels the same way when my fullback who's in acres of space decide to pull his new HTC phone and take a selfie with a fans, just to make sure someone will close him down before he gets to cross the ball. And then pass it back, so midfield can get him in space again for another selfie because in first one, Fat Frankie, the fan with chips and beer, didn't turn out good.

And man marking, do you really need to instruct your player specifically to mark someone to say close to someone? It's really poor if it's that the case. Both TI and PI with tight marking isn't doing the job. They are standing 10 yards away from their player allowing him to receive ball and turn with ease. If someone knows the secret to man mark, please share it with me.

So, does this sound familiar or am I having some serious issues? If it's the latter, then I need to start taking my meds again.

Well No 3 happens all the time...

I would add one more that happens to me.

Too many crossbars...

I mean, like 1.5 per game.

1) Control tempo.
Winger gets ball into wide area, beats fullback, waits for fullback to recover, draws another players on himself, gets on the corner line in the 16 yard box and then shoots. No matter what, shoots. And it's always dangerous, according to match commentator.
This happens at times, but it's a lot more than just painting all players and all tactical setups with the same brush. Could be poor decision making. Could be seeing a lack of options. Could be that there are no options within your instructions. One thing to also remember is that Control is quite an attacking mentality.

In short, it's the old 'shoot if there are no other valid passing options' issue. Seeing it this way, will greatly reduce these situations. I'll add that it probably won't get rid of them completely though.

Second issue is - fullbacks. They get ball in wide area, they dribble a bit, then pass it to midfield, midfield stretch the play and get fullback completely free on the other side and then fullback simply.slows.dooowwwnn.theeeee.gaaammmmmmeeeeee, and then pass it back to the midfield. They are fully open, yet, no crosses. No, it's not down to instructions, they are instructed to cross more often, to pass direct and to take more risky passes ( god forbid one of your crosses don't connect, eh Van Gaal? )
Could be Work Ball Into Box, Exploit Middle or Retain Possession. Can't say I have this issue, but I don't have any of the 3 instructions.

2) Red cards.
Whats the point of them? Do the even affect the game? I haven't seen it so far. Example, I just finished game on FM so my memory is fresh, I was leading 1-0 against Milan, then they got red card, their left back Zeca. And then they scored 2 goals and won the game. There is plenty other examples of this, both in my and opps favor. Does it happen for you guys too?
Not at all. The key thing to remember is that they're a man down. They know that. You know that. They will be parking the bus, hoping for a rare counter. The trick then is to be patient, pull defenders out of position to create space and the exploit that.

3) Possession and man marking
Sometimes, it's impossible to get the ball back from AI. I'm sure AI feels the same way when my fullback who's in acres of space decide to pull his new HTC phone and take a selfie with a fans, just to make sure someone will close him down before he gets to cross the ball. And then pass it back, so midfield can get him in space again for another selfie because in first one, Fat Frankie, the fan with chips and beer, didn't turn out good.
Whatever the AI can do, you can too, so it's a matter of seeing why they're able to hold onto the ball. You'll often find that they have more numbers in midfield or one player is consistently in a lot of space, making him an easy passing outlet if things get tight.

And man marking, do you really need to instruct your player specifically to mark someone to say close to someone? It's really poor if it's that the case. Both TI and PI with tight marking isn't doing the job. They are standing 10 yards away from their player allowing him to receive ball and turn with ease. If someone knows the secret to man mark, please share it with me.
Maybe whoever is poor at marking or poor concentration? Or the opposition has a very good Off The Ball attribute?

From all your comments only No1 sometimes happens to me - and not exactly the way you describe but: on the off chance that my winger goes to the byline and doesnt cross he may dribble past a couple of defenders and then shoot from an impossible place (ie from almost the byline) hitting the post or the goalie.

For red cards, what do you do when you get a red card? What do you do when the opposition gets a red card?

Well No 3 happens all the time...

I would add one more that happens to me.

Too many crossbars...

I mean, like 1.5 per game.

I had issue with that on FM15. Not so much on FM16.

This happens at times, but it's a lot more than just painting all players and all tactical setups with the same brush. Could be poor decision making. Could be seeing a lack of options. Could be that there are no options within your instructions. One thing to also remember is that Control is quite an attacking mentality.

In short, it's the old 'shoot if there are no other valid passing options' issue. Seeing it this way, will greatly reduce these situations. I'll add that it probably won't get rid of them completely though.
I can't say with 100% accuracy, but I don't think it's lack of options. Those players are all decent at worst, but still even if they had bad decision rating, 1 out of 9 times they would pass from that position.

Could be Work Ball Into Box, Exploit Middle or Retain Possession. Can't say I have this issue, but I don't have any of the 3 instructions.
Only Retain possession is on. Will turn it off to see if it helps.

Not at all. The key thing to remember is that they're a man down. They know that. You know that. They will be parking the bus, hoping for a rare counter. The trick then is to be patient, pull defenders out of position to create space and the exploit that.
Like I said, I really don't see the difference when I'm man down or man up. Could be my imagination.

Whatever the AI can do, you can too, so it's a matter of seeing why they're able to hold onto the ball. You'll often find that they have more numbers in midfield or one player is consistently in a lot of space, making him an easy passing outlet if things get tight.

Good points, will look into this one.

Maybe whoever is poor at marking or poor concentration? Or the opposition has a very good Off The Ball attribute?
Those are all good midfielders with 13-14 and more ratings in marking and decision making. I'm not playing against world class players every game, but it seems my players can't mark even semi-decent players on consistent rate. I would be really grateful if someone could give me some tips how to improve man marking. I'll post SS of my tactics bellow.

From all your comments only No1 sometimes happens to me - and not exactly the way you describe but: on the off chance that my winger goes to the byline and doesnt cross he may dribble past a couple of defenders and then shoot from an impossible place (ie from almost the byline) hitting the post or the goalie.

For red cards, what do you do when you get a red card? What do you do when the opposition gets a red card?

Nothing, and nothing changes. Maybe thats the problem?

SS:
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet