A little trick to improve youth intake.

Tyton

Reaction score
You always learn something new with this game even after playing it for over 15 years.

So I've found recently that your staff member responsible for youth intake can pass down his personality attributes to the regens who are coming in every year. In my save Raul (finally) retired, I've hired him on the staff, made him responsible for youth intake.

Lo and behold, every year my best regen has near Raul's Professionalism, Ambition, Pressure, Loyalty, all the important hidden stats at near maximum. Making them improve rapidly and become better players even without mentoring.

So what you need to do is search staff by personalities, look for people who are Model Professional, Model Citizen, Perfectionist, Iron Willed, and so on. Find the best guy, make him do the youth recruitment and swim in those regens who develop obscenely quick and stay loyal to your club. You can also just look for a former player who had a reputation for a great work ethic. Ryan Giggs is great for this is you're running United, for example.

Last edited:
That is really interesting...so basically employ as many model professionals into the youth system and assign them to youth recruitment and should improve the intake? Worth trying out for sure...

That is really interesting...so basically employ as many model professionals into the youth system and assign them to youth recruitment and should improve the intake? Worth trying out for sure...

You just need one guy, then assign him Youth Development task in the Staff/Responsibilites/Club tab. Then when regens come, you actually get information that Raul has influenced such and such talented junior with his personality.

It's just small trick obviously, but with regens being completely random thing, every little bit helps.

That TAB only allows U18's Manager or Head of Youth Development to be selected.

Is that right?

Would you say either parties personality trait is more important than stats 1-20?

So, briefly what you're saying is if I hire Balotelli or Diouf as Head of Youth Dev, I turn FM into a GTA simulator with one click basically.

You always learn something new with this game even after playing it for over 15 years.

So I've found recently that your staff member responsible for youth intake can pass down his personality attributes to the regens who are coming in every year. In my save Raul (finally) retired, I've hired him on the staff, made him responsible for youth intake.

Lo and behold, every year my best regen has near Raul's Professionalism, Ambition, Pressure, Loyalty, all the important hidden stats at near maximum. Making them improve rapidly and become better players even without mentoring.

So what you need to do is search staff by personalities, look for people who are Model Professional, Model Citizen, Perfectionist, Iron Willed, and so on. Find the best guy, make him do the youth recruitment and swim in those regens who develop obscenely quick and stay loyal to your club. You can also just look for a former player who had a reputation for a great work ethic. Ryan Giggs is great for this is you're running United, for example.

Wow I didn't know this, I've always just gone for staff with high working with youngsters stat.

So, briefly what you're saying is if I hire Balotelli or Diouf as Head of Youth Dev, I turn FM into a GTA simulator with one click basically.

HAHAHAH this is the funniest thing I've heard all day!!

Hate to rain on everybody's parade here but this is a known thing ...

You should choose a Head of Youth based on his mentality if you want better regens. But its not the only variable. Quality of youth recruitment, facilities and location are also factors.

Generally speaking all youth coaches should have good mentalities though that doesnt directly change anything to my knowledge.

Hate to rain on everybody's parade here but this is a known thing ...

You should choose a Head of Youth based on his mentality if you want better regens. But its not the only variable. Quality of youth recruitment, facilities and location are also factors.

Generally speaking all youth coaches should have good mentalities though that doesnt directly change anything to my knowledge.

Yep. Yep. Yep.

Also IIRC the Head of Youth Development's preferred formation has an impact towards what natural positions your regens will have. For example, if his preferred formation is 4-4-2 then you'll likely see more players with ML or MR as their natural positions as opposed to AML or AMR.

very true.

I've often wondered if youth coach' personality affects those youngsters who has them as favorite personell.
I've read through a guide based off Ajax youth system on SI-forums, by a true FM legend who says youth coaches personalities really does matter but I cant remember exactly how it did.

That's a very useful information, thanks for sharing it but to say honestly I'm not a big fun bother with youth intake because I find it rather boring :)

very true.

I've often wondered if youth coach' personality affects those youngsters who has them as favorite personell.
I've read through a guide based off Ajax youth system on SI-forums, by a true FM legend who says youth coaches personalities really does matter but I cant remember exactly how it did.

This is what you have in mind and this was my guide in writing what I did (awesome article): https://sisportscentre.com/ajax-youth-development-when-the-real-world-meets-football-manager/

Looks like the same text but I'm pretty sure I read it on a forum somewhere, the whole thing is very long and I remember getting dizzy from all the text :p
Wait, you're Cleon?!

No Im not Cleon mate.

You read it on SI Games forum. Everything he wrote he put on SI Games forum and on his blog which I linked cos its the awesomest blog/anything about FM!!

aah, yeah I get it now, sorry english isnt my 1st language ;P thanks for the link man, read some stuff there before I think winning with defensive tactics with english 3rd tier team for example. great stuff!

Who would be the best youth dev then? Iv got Parnaby from Middlesborough? Based on using model professional and JPA its Nicky Hammond of the people available to me. Also would anyone know what the best trait is. Having all youth with Born leader or loyal etc

Parnaby is good but look also at BERNHARD PIETERS who is a Model Professional

Parnaby is good but look also at BERNHARD PIETERS who is a Model Professional
Only loaded "home nations" as playable everything else as view only and hes not in it. Used to try get him in fm 12 but would never sign. Probably should have extended it but was trying to give the added challenge of developing through youth and "local players" West Broms Mark Harrison has some nice stats as youth dev personality is resolute tho

I've just signed Paul Scholes as Head of Youth Development at Man Utd (I already have Phil Neville and Nicky **** on the coaching staff) does this mean I will be getting attack minded, adventurous, model professionals who can't tackle lol.

The best guy I've found for this is a Head of Youth Development for Roma, forgot his name right now. Very high in all mental attributes, and 20/20 in judging player ability and potential, and good training attributes. So you'll get his personality passed down to regens, the reports on the regens will be as accurate as it gets, and he's a great trainer too.