miguelalves

Reaction score
I'm using a 433 (451) with two WB's and two IF's, playing a possession, very fluid football, winning and scoring... so, no problem here :) but I have noticed that my WB's (auto / support) when having space to make a pass into space or to run with the ball to the penalty area or simply cross the ball, they just stop (as they are waiting for the opponent), make a turn and go to the line. Eventually they end winning a cross, nevertheless most of the time they do this instead of taking the space.

Does this happen with anybody else ???

I'm not sure if there is any conflicting instruction but here they are:

TI

Retain Possession, Shorter Passing, Work Ball into Box, Play from Defence, Drill Crossing, Higher Defence Line, Hassle Opponents, Harder Tackling, Lower Tempo

WB's instructions

shorter passing, deep crossing, cross aim to the middle, close down more, get further forward

Any ideas are welcomed :)

The "shorter passing" + "retain possession" will make him reluctant to cross the ball I think. Crosses are a high-risk option for possession based approaches since (on average) they get intercepted by the keeper/CB's.

Retain possession will also make players more likely to hold onto the ball and take the "safe option" over the attacking option. That might be an issue with it. Try 3-5 matches with "shorter passing" off (On Wing Backs) and see if that gives you any results

Indeed, but since I use an attack strategy I was hoping that a more risky strategy would compensate. I know it might sound strange or conflicting having an attacking strategy with retain possession instruction :D but the results have been great (examples: FC Porto 3 Milan 1 67% possession; Liverpool 1 FC Porto 0 70% possession very unfair defeat but that's football ).

The option to cross is just one that WB's have because the team creates the space for them to cut inside running with ball or make a key pass... but that's always an idea to test :)

Aye, I could see exactly where you were coming from with an attacking based Possession system. The onnly issues I can possibly envision is that the possession instincts of the tactic will not exploite the opposition being pulled apart by the quick attacking play. Still, if you've made it work, all credit to you. I personally wouldn't be using Wing backs as it's too offensive. I'd rather a Supporting Full back to offer an out ball and, in your case (I don't know why but) I've found them more decisive when it comes to crossing.

Sure, but only one of the Wing Backs are in attacking mode, the other one supports and I also use an Half-Back to drop deeper between Central Defender in order for these to cover the Wing Backs and my DLF makes the connection between defence and midfield. So, although it looks like a 433 it works like a 343 :) I will test your idea of removing shorter passing from the WB's.

I forgot to ask, what are your WB's PPMs? Chances are they have more to do with the problem than your tactic.

It might be, I like to have my players with a good amount of ppm's according to the philosophy / style of football in my team but this takes a lot of time in training, so right now they have Mark Tighter, Play short and simple, Drible down the flank (either right or left) and they are training Plays One-Two's... maybe I should go for the Try Killer Balls

with very Fluid system your players can make something with their own personality.

with very Fluid system your players can make something with their own personality.

It's they can but that doesn't explain why the WB's always stop and go byline when they have the space to cut inside and pass or run with the ball.

Any idea if a cut inside instruction would do the trick ?
Probably not. The best fix for this I've found is changing your CM's wide play instruction to hugs touchline or whatever it is on fm14. It gives the wingback a passing option cause thats what they are waiting for :)

Probably not. The best fix for this I've found is changing your CM's wide play instruction to hugs touchline or whatever it is on fm14. It gives the wingback a passing option cause thats what they are waiting for :)

Can't be that, because as I said in the first post they have passing options either to the IF or to one of the midfielders, also they have a fairly good option to cross or to the run with ball inside because there is space to do it :)

Hmm, maybe set them to look for riskier passes? They might start crossing the ball a bit more then, if that's what your looking for?