A New Hope - Beautiful possesion football with great results - UPDATED FORMATION

training oi's

Sometimes I close down central defenders and sometimes I close down wide players.

About training I mostly train the player roles but with modifications. Fullback I train as complete wingback and the raumdeuter I mostly train as inside forward.

Just trying out the tactic now with Wolves in my third season, used my v4 on the previous season...will let you know how it goes :)

First match with Wolves..

Familiarity will need to be worked in so still too early to comment but what a game.. 3-2 against Arsenal after receiving a red card in the 39th Minute. I went to attacking mentality in the second half as I was losing..Hope it continues this way :). Probably need at least 10 games to gel as i didn't use the tactic in pre-season.

View attachment 66258

Great job Martino,
Got through to the quarter finals of the Champs League (narrowly lost to Chelsea who cruised the Prem title with 91 points), finished 5th in the Premier division (1 point higher than the previous season) and reached Semis of the FA Cup. Fekir was great as the Treq and overall great tactic given that I didn't have the right players for all the positions..great alternative for those who like playing with AMR and AML...

Great job Martino,
Got through to the quarter finals of the Champs League (narrowly lost to Chelsea who cruised the Prem title with 91 points), finished 5th in the Premier division (1 point higher than the previous season) and reached Semis of the FA Cup. Fekir was great as the Treq and overall great tactic given that I didn't have the right players for all the positions..great alternative for those who like playing with AMR and AML...

Thanx for trying it out! I have almost used it for a full season. Right now I'm 10 points clear in the Danish league. The danish league changes in the last third of the season, where top 6 plays in a group and bottom 8 gets divided into two groups with some relegation play-offs. So you face the better top 6 teams more often, making it a bit harder.
Here's my current position. Still need some games to play though.
View attachment 66078

I dont have much time to play these days, but if I was to tweak the tactic, I think I would look into the inverted wingback, mezzala and raumdeuter roles. Maybe a regular fullback like on the right side or a regular wingback support or attack. The raumdeuter can be changed to a wide target man with moves into channels ticked on with succes(if you have the right player) Dont know about the mezzala...let me know if you tried any tweaks during your season. It can easily be made more aggressive/offensive as well, but I like that it's quite stable in defense, especially if you have fast defenders.

Yes I too think its an alternative if you're tired of 3 defenders or 3 strikers etc.

Thanx for trying it out! I have almost used it for a full season. Right now I'm 10 points clear in the Danish league. The danish league changes in the last third of the season, where top 6 plays in a group and bottom 8 gets divided into two groups with some relegation play-offs. So you face the better top 6 teams more often, making it a bit harder.
Here's my current position. Still need some games to play though.
View attachment 1147739

I dont have much time to play these days, but if I was to tweak the tactic, I think I would look into the inverted wingback, mezzala and raumdeuter roles. Maybe a regular fullback like on the right side or a regular wingback support or attack. The raumdeuter can be changed to a wide target man with moves into channels ticked on with succes(if you have the right player) Dont know about the mezzala...let me know if you tried any tweaks during your season. It can easily be made more aggressive/offensive as well, but I like that it's quite stable in defense, especially if you have fast defenders.

Yes I too think its an alternative if you're tired of 3 defenders or 3 strikers etc.

Awesome.. Yeah i tried it out more to see the type of football that was played... and i really liked it. I'm a real believer that in order to have awesome results with any tactics you need the right players for the positions, good team chemistry, Squad depth and a couple of PPM's that help boost certain players.. therefore I can see this tactic working better with a team that is suited for it.. I will start a new save (when i have time lol and buy and train players to suit the tactic). With my Wolves side i just don't have the squad depth to compete on all fronts, and the results started to falter in the second half of the season mainly for not having fresh legs rather than the tactic... but i still had awesome CL results including beating atletico 3-1 away and winning the group with 6 wins.

This tactic reminds me of your tactic a couple of years back (Except the Libero of course), especially with the AML Ramdeuter... the AMR was very effective too. I think attacking wise this tactic works really well. The areas where it faltered for me was in defence because i didn't have the right type of players. The only tweaks i used was to change to attacking mentality to chase goals and dropping d-line and the WBL to DL when i felt necessary due to defence issues.

Regarding your results... they are really impressive!! How is the defence coping? you manage to keep it tight at the back?

Playing with MU

First matches since tactic (v4) became fluid:
4:1 against Arsenal in the guest match (goal missed from standart)
6:1 against Liverpool in the home match (Lindelof as solid as in real life, lost in 1v1 fight with Coutinho)

Lukaku scored 6 out of 10, wingers are main assist providers
Possesing is about 55%

Martino, I beg you not to give up with this tac after March patch, as it correlates with my view of football and it's the only proper working classic formation tactic!

---------------------------

UPD: 4:0 against MC at home, 61% posession... where are your football gods now, Pep?

At last I'm ready to start a new proper save :D

Last edited:
Awesome.. Yeah i tried it out more to see the type of football that was played... and i really liked it. I'm a real believer that in order to have awesome results with any tactics you need the right players for the positions, good team chemistry, Squad depth and a couple of PPM's that help boost certain players.. therefore I can see this tactic working better with a team that is suited for it.. I will start a new save (when i have time lol and buy and train players to suit the tactic). With my Wolves side i just don't have the squad depth to compete on all fronts, and the results started to falter in the second half of the season mainly for not having fresh legs rather than the tactic... but i still had awesome CL results including beating atletico 3-1 away and winning the group with 6 wins.

This tactic reminds me of your tactic a couple of years back (Except the Libero of course), especially with the AML Ramdeuter... the AMR was very effective too. I think attacking wise this tactic works really well. The areas where it faltered for me was in defence because i didn't have the right type of players. The only tweaks i used was to change to attacking mentality to chase goals and dropping d-line and the WBL to DL when i felt necessary due to defence issues.

Regarding your results... they are really impressive!! How is the defence coping? you manage to keep it tight at the back?

Same as me. Its fun to really mold the players to suit the tactic. Right now I'm trying to have the rule that I can only buy one player each summer transfer window, the rest has to be academy players. It makes it quite challenging.
Yes if you dont have fast defenders it seems vital to sometimes change the d-line.
Which tactic was it? finding it hard to really make a good Libero-tactic this year...

Well I think it's due to pacey centerbacks and a very fast right back. I also prefer a good header to play the halfback role(if possible). I rarely change mentality to counter or defensive.

Playing with MU

First matches since tactic (v4) became fluid:
4:1 against Arsenal in the guest match (goal missed from standart)
6:1 against Liverpool in the home match (Lindelof as solid as in real life, lost in 1v1 fight with Coutinho)

Lukaku scored 6 out of 10, wingers are main assist providers
Possesing is about 55%

Martino, I beg you not to give up with this tac after March patch, as it correlates with my view of football and it's the only proper working classic formation tactic!

---------------------------

UPD: 4:0 against MC at home, 61% posession... where are your football gods now, Pep?

At last I'm ready to start a new proper save :D

VERY NICE! Yes it's a very classic formation, eventhough it looks a bit weird. I shall try to keep it up to date :D

I was watching Juventus - Spurs the other night and Eric Dier resembles quite well how the halfback works in this tactic. He just dropped more to the right when Aurier bombed forward instead of dropping down on the left like this tactic.

Which team will you be managing then?

MU again :D
Other tactics were terribly inconsistent for such a great squad.
Not 3 defenders/3 strikers tactics I mean ;)

Going to try this with Parma in my 4th season. Just won the league by the skin of my teeth.

Beautiful tactic. Won Bundesliga at 1st season with RBL. Excelent work Martino.

Im gonna give this a shout mate :) still using the tweaked in post #16?