A new tactic for testing (Bayern 2012-2013)

Igneos79

Banned
Reaction score
After 3 years of work, I beleive I finally finished my Tesla tactic. My objective was a flawless possession tactic, and it turned out to be exact copy of Guardiola's Barcelona, or at least so I think. Now it's time for something new and wild, and since my favorite manager is Jupp Heynckes, I started dabbling into Bayern 2012-2013 tactic.

I read on bleacherreport (I think), he used a defensive forward to put pressure on centre backs. That article also stated he used inverted fullbacks, that were given a lot of creative freedom to shoot, dribble, pass or cross, and that opponents defenders moved away from them as they felt they couldn't commit. I also read they appeared to play a counter attacking football. They attacked the opponent in a ceirtan way, that made them appear to play a counter attacking football. They used a 4231 formation which could transform into 442 and make a flat line of 4 players if needed. They also used an offside trap and were very fluid. They used physicall, robust players, to bully the opposition. However, they didn't practice this style in all of their matches. For example, against Barcelona, they spread out as long and as wide as possible. I still haven't got a clue how he did that, and all of my attempts to replicate that have failed. I did however, work on his normal style, and came up with this.

Regarding formation, I opted for 4231 deep. This will ensure enough players stay behind, and when I looked at heat maps, it turned out if I used a regular 4231, my MC's would act as AMC's. If I didn't use two DM's, I would probably need to use at least one stopper role, and that wouldn't work well with offside trap. The two DM's are usually caught in a wide area, so they should be closing down a lot, so I opted for a bwmd and dlps roles, one agressor that stays behind, and one smart runner, basically everything any midfield duo needs. That means the bwmd sided fullback can be more agressive, so I gave him an attack duty, and combined him with a inside forward support, whilst the other is on support duty, combined with inside forward attack. The forward is of course a defensive forward support that puts pressure on CD's, and the best role to combine him with is attacking midfielder attack. The forward is my number 10, that actually creates very few chances, so my AMC is my number 9 capable of creating chances for himself. My number nine also drops deeper, to ensure triangles are being played. Since we play counter attack style, none of them holds up the ball, as that would slow things down, and both are facing the goal. So we have two number nines (AMA & IFA) and two number 10's (DFS & IFS) which gives good balance. Winger role could be used if opting for target man upfront.

I have included two versions of the tactic, or rather, a 1st half and 2nd half tactics.

Counter is your basic, soak up pressure tactic, with standing off and dropping deep and wining the ball by intercepting it instead of closing down. This is the result:

View attachment 334608

And counterpress is basically the same, but with winning the ball higher up the pitch and pressing. I beleive Osram used this one in first half, and then after scoring a few goals, switched to soaking up pressure in 2nd half. This is the result:

View attachment 334603

Last edited:
I think he meant screenshots from you. You post screenshots of your results using your tactic and how you set it up!!

I think he meant screenshots from you. You post screenshots of your results using your tactic and how you set it up!!

I don't currently have fm installed, lost my gmail account and in the process of getting it back. Sorry.

i will try but i doubt it will work with an option clear ball to flanks with inside foward ahead of them and play narower shout...but this fm is crazy so who knows

i will try but i doubt it will work with an option clear ball to flanks with inside foward ahead of them and play narower shout...but this fm is crazy so who knows

You're right, it's not good. I have no idea why it worked for me for so many matches....I just made progress with this, will post in a few mins...