A newbie who needs help.... BADLY

maccya

Reaction score
I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Everytime I try my own tactic, it just fails. I follow all the guides but to no avail. The team just decides to do what it wants instead of playing how I want them to play. It doesn't make any sense. All I have wanted is to make my own tactic and win some games and maybe even achieve some success but it just won't happen. I have to resort to downloading so many tactics in order to win and it kinda takes away that sense of achievement.
So I started a new save on the LFC Update as Middlesbrough. I took extra care this time and I overhauled the back room staff as well and strengthen the squad. Things looking good. I train the tactic and it's still not fluid. I say to myself no problem, they'll pick it up soon. 3 months later and I've got the sack. The players just don't play the football I want them to even on very rigid, the tactic wasn't fully fluid but that shouldn't affect too much surely?
For the love of christ, can someone tell me what is going wrong? My patience is wearing thin and I've never been one to quit and I don't want to start now. FM games never used to be this hard lol. The game seems to adapt to my tactic in just over 5 minutes when IRL it takes like maybe a game. All in all, can someone look at my tactic and tell me what to change. I know middlesbrough aren't the greatest team in the world but you would think they would know how to play some football. I'm gonna start again with the same tactic and see what happens.

What I'm trying to do is just play fast attacking football. Direct or short range passes culminating in a class finish, I don't really mind which is why I left that aspect and just put it as work ball into box. I have fast wingers so I'm also aiming to capitalise on that. Also what's a recommended team and player instruction limit.
I'm gearing up for FM15 so i'd like to get a good grasp on tactics as I'm doing a race to see who can win the BPL first starting from the Skrill Leagues.
How do I create a good tactic
Thank you in advance for your help
Don't hesitate to be harsh

View attachment 342094View attachment 342093View attachment 342092View attachment 342091View attachment 342090View attachment 342089View attachment 342088View attachment 342087

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Everytime I try my own tactic, it just fails. I follow all the guides but to no avail. The team just decides to do what it wants instead of playing how I want them to play. It doesn't make any sense. All I have wanted is to make my own tactic and win some games and maybe even achieve some success but it just won't happen. I have to resort to downloading so many tactics in order to win and it kinda takes away that sense of achievement.
So I started a new save on the LFC Update as Middlesbrough. I took extra care this time and I overhauled the back room staff as well and strengthen the squad. Things looking good. I train the tactic and it's still not fluid. I say to myself no problem, they'll pick it up soon. 3 months later and I've got the sack. The players just don't play the football I want them to even on very rigid, the tactic wasn't fully fluid but that shouldn't affect too much surely?
For the love of christ, can someone tell me what is going wrong? My patience is wearing thin and I've never been one to quit and I don't want to start now. FM games never used to be this hard lol. The game seems to adapt to my tactic in just over 5 minutes when IRL it takes like maybe a game. All in all, can someone look at my tactic and tell me what to change. I know middlesbrough aren't the greatest team in the world but you would think they would know how to play some football. I'm gonna start again with the same tactic and see what happens.

What I'm trying to do is just play fast attacking football. Direct or short range passes culminating in a class finish, I don't really mind which is why I left that aspect and just put it as work ball into box. I have fast wingers so I'm also aiming to capitalise on that. Also what's a recommended team and player instruction limit.
I'm gearing up for FM15 so i'd like to get a good grasp on tactics as I'm doing a race to see who can win the BPL first starting from the Skrill Leagues.
How do I create a good tactic
Thank you in advance for your help
Don't hesitate to be harsh

View attachment 675171View attachment 675173View attachment 675175View attachment 675178View attachment 675181View attachment 675184View attachment 675185View attachment 675186

I only know a few of your players and I can't look them up in-game because I'm now up to 2025. But I know James Husband and Emmanuel Frimpong and I can determine some information from your screenshots.

I suggest you play 4-4-1-1. See my link at the bottom of this post to my extensive explanation of how I operate this formation and how it worked for my Southampton save. But taking your particular players into account:

- Is Reach right-footed? If so, switch him to Wide Midfielder_Support with instructions to Cut Inside (which may be automatic for that position) and encourage him to Cross From Deep. Put James Husband to Full-Back_Attack with instructions to Get Further Forward and Cross More Often. He will then provide a second-wave attack when your team is in possession, with Reach moving infield to create space for him on the flank.

- Ensue looks like a proper right winger to me, so put him in the M_R position and switch his role to Winger_Attack with instructions to Cross From Byline and Aim Crosses At Target Man. This will put him onto his (presumably stronger) right foot and use his pace to get by the opposition left-back. I think you have Damia's instructions right, given his strengths, but I'd switch him to Full-Back_Support to be slightly more consistent with Husband's role on the other side.

- Central Defenders_Defend as they are but make sure they are playing Short Passes, so they will give it to the full-backs or your central midfielders. Get the Goalkeeper to Play Short Passes and Distribute To Defenders, too, to help you retain possession from goal kicks.

- Move Frimpong into the middle alongside Smallwood; Frimpong in Ball-Winning Midfielder_Defend and Smallwood as Deep-Lying Midfielder_Support. Have them both play More Direct Passes, within your otherwise short passing team system, so that they can spread the play from flank-to-flank to take advantage of space on the far side and to initiate counter-attacks. Retrain them, if they're young enough to learn, and consider other players in your squad who might be better suited to these roles.

- Tomlin is a good dribbler and has the insurance of Frimpong and Smallwood behind him, so I'd try him as Trequartista_Attack with instructions to Dribble More, Get Further Forward, More Direct Passes. This will encourage him to run at and commit the opposition, creating space for the pass to attacking team-mates, drawing fouls in dangerous positions and getting him into and around the penalty area. He's the key to your attacking game.

- Kamara is quite quick and good in the air, so I'd play him as a Complete Forward_Support. This will get him involved in the build-up play, helping to create space for the on-running Tomlin and get the ball wide for the overlapping Husband on the left and Ensue on the right wing. Then he'll get himself forward to get on the end of crosses. Give him instructions to play Shorter Passes, Move Into Channels and Shoot More Often.

I think your team instructions are contradictory in some respects (Look For Overlap within a Very Rigid system?) so you might want you try mine and then tweak here and there to suit your particular players. At the Team Level, you should play a Short Passing/Retain Possession game but with your central midfielders always looking to exploit space on the flanks or in the channels with more direct passes. You'll get more detail on my recommended Team Instructions and an explanation of why this system works from my post on 4-4-1-1 - but note, that I'm recommending a Trequartista_Attack in the No.10 role behind a Complete Forward_Support for you, rather than the Shadow Striker/Deep-Lying Forward combination that I had when I wrote this post. I have done it both ways and both work if you have the right kind of players for each; your Tomlin is better-suited to the Trequartista role:

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...1-real-4-4-2-how-i-learned-play-triangle.html

Good luck!

Last edited:
I only know a few of your players and I can't look them up in-game because I'm now up to 2025. But I know James Husband and Emmanuel Frimpong and I can determine some information from your screenshots.

I suggest you play 4-4-1-1. See my link at the bottom of this post to my extensive explanation of how I operate this formation and how it worked for my Southampton save. But taking your particular players into account:

- Is Reach right-footed? If so, switch him to Wide Midfielder_Support with instructions to Cut Inside (which may be automatic for that position) and encourage him to Cross From Deep. Put James Husband to Full-Back_Attack with instructions to Get Further Forward and Cross More Often. He will then provide a second-wave attack when your team is in possession, with Reach moving infield to create space for him on the flank.

- Ensue looks like a proper right winger to me, so put him in the M_R position and switch his role to Winger_Attack with instructions to Cross From Byline and Aim Crosses At Target Man. This will put him onto his (presumably stronger) right foot and use his pace to get by the opposition left-back. I think you have Damia's instructions right, given his strengths, but I'd switch him to Full-Back_Support to be slightly more consistent with Husband's role on the other side.

- Central Defenders_Defend as they are but make sure they are playing Short Passes, so they will give it to the full-backs or your central midfielders. Get the Goalkeeper to Play Short Passes and Distribute To Defenders, too, to help you retain possession from goal kicks.

- Move Frimpong into the middle alongside Smallwood; Frimpong in Ball-Winning Midfielder_Defend and Smallwood as Deep-Lying Midfielder_Support. Have them both play More Direct Passes, within your otherwise short passing team system, so that they can spread the play from flank-to-flank to take advantage of space on the far side and to initiate counter-attacks. Retrain them, if they're young enough to learn, and consider other players in your squad who might be better suited to these roles.

- Tomlin is a good dribbler and has the insurance of Frimpong and Smallwood behind him, so I'd try him as Trequartista_Attack with instructions to Dribble More, Get Further Forward, More Direct Passes. This will encourage him to run at and commit the opposition, creating space for the pass to attacking team-mates, drawing fouls in dangerous positions and getting him into and around the penalty area. He's the key to your attacking game.

- Kamara is quite quick and good in the air, so I'd play him as a Complete Forward_Support. This will get him involved in the build-up play, helping to create space for the on-running Tomlin and get the ball wide for the overlapping Husband on the left and Ensue on the right wing. Then he'll get himself forward to get on the end of crosses. Give him instructions to play Shorter Passes, Move Into Channels and Shoot More Often.

I think your team instructions are contradictory in some respects (Look For Overlap within a Very Rigid system?) so you might want you try mine and then tweak here and there to suit your particular players. At the Team Level, you should play a Short Passing/Retain Possession game but with your central midfielders always looking to exploit space on the flanks or in the channels with more direct passes. You'll get more detail on my recommended Team Instructions and an explanation of why this system works from my post on 4-4-1-1 - but note, that I'm recommending a Trequartista_Attack in the No.10 role behind a Complete Forward_Support for you, rather than the Shadow Striker/Deep-Lying Forward combination that I had when I wrote this post. I have done it both ways and both work if you have the right kind of players for each; your Tomlin is better-suited to the Trequartista role:

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...1-real-4-4-2-how-i-learned-play-triangle.html

Good luck!
Thank you man, I'll try what you said and keep trying till I succeed

Thank you man, I'll try what you said and keep trying till I succeed

Also quick question: why is the Trequartista role better than the Shadow Striker, they seem very similar??

The trequartista role is about scrambling the opposite defensive line, and the shadow striker is an infiltrator, trying to get in a narrow breach on the defense by closing the gap between mid and attack with a quick sprint

Your main problem comes from your instruction to hassle oppoent and from your formation. You have huge hole on your left due to asymetric formation. If you do not use hassle opposition, this formation can work, but if you do, big hole on left will force your WB to come in middle to cover this, or worse, our cb will come to cover this and there will be huge hole for opposition to use it.

This could be solved if you would tell your RCM not to close down as much, but I am not shore, as I have not tried this. I use asymetrcal formations a lot, but never wiht hassle opponent. If you want to hassle opponent, you should use any symetrical formation, ti will be better fit.

Regarding your question - Treq or SS, it depends on what you want to achieve and how do you wanna play. These are my two favorite roles on AMC, and most used as well. Pedrofranca has explained difference, but I can give you insight of how it works.

I usually use treq, as it is more creative role, but if opposition sit too deep, with small gap between defence and midfield, there is not space that Treq can use, so he is basically out of game. This is time when I change up to SS. I guess it is usefull that I have Complete forward type of striker, so I can change during game from Attack role to Support role to better cooperate with my AMC. This way I always get high production from both of players - AMc and FC. And it also changes the way oposition reacts to my offensive moves.

So your way to utilize most is to watch what is going on on field. If there is more space to exploit beween lines, then shore, treq is better option, but if there is not space, then you may want to change up, use a SS ,or even AP/supp, which will drop deeper and get ball and create space for your other players.

This formation you posted is also role-vise bad. You have Poacher and Inf on same side. You have AMC (makes forvard runs) and Winger (also makes runs) on left. YOur positioning of DLP will asume you will have most of possesion on your right side, so neither your INF or your poacher will have no space to exploit.

Better solution would be to have your striker on some other role (F9, DLF, or even Treq), so he would drob back and let INF to infilitrate in created space with attack duty, and have your AMC on Treq duty if you did not give your FC this role, if You did, then better option would be SS, since your forward will create space for AMC to drop into space. This settign will give you AMC and AMR as your main goal scoring treath, and it will aslo give you more option for your DLP to send deep balls.

The trequartista role is about scrambling the opposite defensive line, and the shadow striker is an infiltrator, trying to get in a narrow breach on the defense by closing the gap between mid and attack with a quick sprint

Pedrofranca's is a very good description of the difference between the two roles. To put it in slightly simpler terms, though, the Trequartista does his damage while in possession of the football, while the Shadow Striker is more about running off-the-ball to apply the finish to attacking moves. If done right, the Shadow Striker should be your team's top scorer while the Trequartista would be among the highest for assists.