rand3ll

Reaction score
I’m a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to football and I love nothing more than a classic tactic.
I’ve found that lately, the only way to have success on FM is to have some bizarre formation where you have 3 strikers with odd roles that only 1 in 10 players are able to play.
My ideal tactic would be a 4231 with basic roles, preferably Wingers, a Target Man and being stable at the back and decent in attack. Is this actually possible anymore?

I’m a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to football and I love nothing more than a classic tactic.
I’ve found that lately, the only way to have success on FM is to have some bizarre formation where you have 3 strikers with odd roles that only 1 in 10 players are able to play.
My ideal tactic would be a 4231 with basic roles, preferably Wingers, a Target Man and being stable at the back and decent in attack. Is this actually possible anymore?
All the "traditional" FM formations are possible to use and achieve success with. It's the case in every version.

Of course it's *possible*, but you need to consider *why* you want to play that way and whether it fits the players you have. I've kind of had my hand forced into playing that way in the Crystal Palace save I started recently because their roster and depth at forward are garbage. It actually doesn't fit into what I generally prefer (I like using inverted wingers and stretching the flanks with my fullbacks) but you have to adapt to what you have at hand. It's worth remembering that FM is quite realistic and that crossing is a low-percentage strategy in real life, so it's going to be a low-percentage strategy in the game too. I generally have more success hitting my far-side winger on the back post than I ever do finding my target man, which may or may not be Benteke's fault........

Install a old version of football manager (maybe fm 15) if u rly want "normal" tactics..
The whole trick with these last versions is that "normal" formations simply do not work as effectively as strikerless **** (5-2-3-0's) and lately those 5-2-3 or whatever the **** they use nowdays..

View attachment 63927