curtis290

Reaction score
I bought this game about a month ago and haven't been able to play it yet. I've spent the whole time trying to make databases where each country has a zero foreigner rule. I tried taking a shortcut by using the advanced editor, but it doesn't work with most nations, so after a lot of struggles I ended up just re-creating most of the competitions with the regular editor. A few days ago I finally finished, and as you can imagine, was more than just a little eager to finally start playing. I tested all my databases together on one save and it successfully progressed a few years into the game, so I should be fine (a lot of them gave me crash dumps at the end of the season, and those I just re-did with the regular editor). I have loaded far too many leagues and players for my ancient laptop, but already tested for that too.

I started a save and ended up losing it because I forgot to save (in FM10 I had it set so that it autosaved after every week, I forgot to do that in this one), so I had to start again. I have to start in December of 09 (the Brazilian database I downloaded doesn't simulate its matches for that season if you start in July '10), so it takes a little while. On my second save I noticed though that the nations I had edited using the advanced editor didn't have any youth or reserve leagues. I was about to begin the season but this will be a long-term save so of course I decided to start a new one. So I went into the editor and added the youth and reserve leagues and started a new save. I followed the model used in the Ecuador file (project gol on SI games) and it's really straight-forward, just tick a couple of boxes pretty much, so no problem there. Then I started a new save. The problem is that for whatever reason, there are two groups for the youth teams in Argentina (where I'm playing in), which is nonsensical but also means the youth teams play twice a week (76 games a year), and the reserve teams don't appear to have a league. Not good, but I don't care, I'm sick of this **** anyway.

After playing I went to bed and saved it as a new file, resigned, and went on holiday indefinitely to make sure that it would work. When I woke up, I found that I had got a crash dump in October of 2011! I was absolutely furious and almost punched a hole in my laptop. So I loaded the last autosave, which was in September or October of 2011, and went on holiday again, and it gave me the same result, a crash dump in October of 2011. What was so frustrating is that it doesn't make any sense...it's not like it happened right at the turnover between years (ie a problem with the promotion/relegation system), it happened at a random point a good deal of the way through the second season. Doesn't make sense.

But then I loaded the previous autosave, in August 2011, and went on holiday. Right now I'm midway through December of 2011 and no crash dumps! So my question is what exactly happens with these things? Obviously something happened after my second to last autosave in August and before the last autosave in September/October...if so, than what was it? Most importantly, can I count on this not happening again? I'm going to set the autosave on once every two or three weeks, should this keep me covered? If I get a crash dump, can I reload one of the previous versions in order to not get the same result? Should I set the autosave on once every month, in case this event occurs 7-8 weeks before the future crash dump? Do you recommend that I start yet another save?

Sorry that ended up being so long, but as you can imagine, after spending probably 100-120 hours editing this thing (it has been my free time for the past month) and then getting a taste of the game, I am really, really, really eager to play it.

You sound like you know what you are doing with the editor, but changing the way the game operates leads to crashes, as does loading too many leagues/players for your system, you acknowledge this, and in your case it doesn't appear to be the problem.

You mention that the crash happens only on the save where you have the problem with the youth and reserve teams, i suggest the crash is happening because of that, so you should look into fixing it, and then testing with a new game to identify it as the problem.

As for 'fixing' it, due the nature of crash dumps, ie they don't have a singular or common cause, its very difficult to help. Try the stickies in this section. http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f115/

thanks Jake, I think you may have just solved my issue at the moment with Crash Dumps, was trying to figure out what it was! its the fact that I have over 80 000 players loaded which is about 4 000 over the recommended amount and about 20+ leagues, this is most likely the problem! thanks

thanks Jake, I think you may have just solved my issue at the moment with Crash Dumps, was trying to figure out what it was! its the fact that I have over 80 000 players loaded which is about 4 000 over the recommended amount and about 20+ leagues, this is most likely the problem! thanks
I though 70k was the recommended limit... Perhaps in changes depending upon star rating.

On topic: I haven't had any trouble with crash dumps because of my DBs TBH. Probably because I do a lot of testing as I go so problems are found early.

You sound like you know what you are doing with the editor, but changing the way the game operates leads to crashes, as does loading too many leagues/players for your system, you acknowledge this, and in your case it doesn't appear to be the problem.

You mention that the crash happens only on the save where you have the problem with the youth and reserve teams, i suggest the crash is happening because of that, so you should look into fixing it, and then testing with a new game to identify it as the problem.

As for 'fixing' it, due the nature of crash dumps, ie they don't have a singular or common cause, its very difficult to help. Try the stickies in this section. http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f115/

I agree that the problem is probably with the reserves, except I don't know what I would do differently other than just get rid of the reserve/youth leagues. Something I don't want to do, but might have to. But when I loaded the previous autosave, in August 2011, I went on holiday indefinitely and now it is January 22nd of 2012 and no crash dumps! This doesn't make sense...why is there a crash dump that doesn't happen when I load it a month or two earlier...one would think this might happen at the end of the season (some error in the transition to the new year), but it didn't...it seems that some event happened after my August autosave but before the September/October one (forget which month) that causes a crash dump in October 2011. What type of event could this be?

And more importantly, what do you guys recommend? Can I keep playing this save? Could the crash dump stem from the fact that I just went on holiday for a really long time rather than playing the game? Should I start a new one? Should I get rid of the reserve/youth leagues, then start a new one? If there are no reserve/youth leagues, does that mess up the player development of those countries?

BTW my laptop has a Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz (pasted straight from my DXIAG :)), though it gives my computer performance a half star, and if I have more than 5-10,000 players loaded, gives the save a half star as well. I loaded 39 leagues in 45 countries with 54,000 players. The problem is though that my laptop is two years old and I've dropped it too many times. Anyways, don't think it's a performance issue. I holidayed on a save with like 60k ish players and it went several years without problems.

Last edited: