A rarely used, but so far excellent, Philosophy

herne79

Reaction score
I've been experimenting.

And so far, these are the (ongoing) results, playing as Newcastle:

Total Played 16, Won 14, Drawn 1, Lost 1 - Goals Scored 42, Conceded 7

League Played 10, Won 9, Drawn 1, Lost 0 - Scored 23, Conceded 3 (top of the league)
View attachment 369388View attachment 369391
(One loss away at Man Utd in the Carling Cup - and only lost on penalties. The draw away at Arsenal which I would take as a top team).

So where's the experiment I hear you ask?

Well if you take a look at the tactic screenshot below, you'll notice I'm using a DEFENSIVE strategy. I can't remember the last time I saw that sort of strategy being used - Attacking and Control strategies, with the odd Counter here and there, but not Defensive.
View attachment 369392

But isn't it just men behind the ball, hardly any attacking, poor possession and hope for a breakaway goal?

Well, no as it turns out. I must admit I did think that at first, but so far I am averaging 15 shots per game (most on target), the majority of possession and 2-3 CCCs. Further, the majority of goals come from good build up play (not counter attacks or set pieces) and the possession is up field, not kicking around between defenders.

The following are passes vs Everton and vs CSKA Sofia:
View attachment 369397

I'll attach the tactic I have been using, but really the point of this thread is to discuss the merits of using such a Strategy. The results I am seeing so far (and yes I know it is only 16 competitive games, so not conclusive) are showing a strong defense with good attacking play. I encourage people to try using a Defensive strategy (my tactic or your own) and see how you get on.

I'll update with further results.

OI's, Training, Match Prep etc

I'll include what I've been using here - it's not really the point of the thread but I know some people will want to just download and give it a go :).

OI's - Always set using a coach or ***. manager with very good tactical knowledge (not coaching).

Training - Balanced, Average

Match Prep - Attacking Movement

Shouts - None

Team Talks - always use them at the start, half time and end of matches. There are far too many different ones to use for different scenarios to detail here, check out Raikan's guide as a starting point. However, if drawing or losing at half time then always Aggressive "show me something else".

Please remember this is a work in progress, and primarily for discussion !

Last edited:
Hey herne I Still remember your Arrigo Sachi Tweaks !They were simply great!1I will try this one on my Roma Save !!Especially on Champions League!!

Definitely an interesting option, I've never used a defensive match strategy since FM12, and most of us only use it to preserve leads. How did you manage to get enough players forward with your formation and this match strategy, though?

Definitely an interesting option, I've never used a defensive match strategy since FM12, and most of us only use it to preserve leads. How did you manage to get enough players forward with your formation and this match strategy, though?
Both DMs and both wingbacks are "run from deep - sometimes", which is actually their default setting. Using an AP rather than DLP also gets things moving a bit quicker, as does focusing passing down both flanks.

Still experimenting, but I quite like the results so far.

Oh, and attacking movement as the default match prep.

Last edited:
Looking good so far. Interesting that a defensive strategy tactic is creating a possession based tactic whereas my Sacchi attacking strategy is much more about the counter and defensive set-up.

Great opening post, will definately try your tactic. And yeah, very nice approach as well :)

Will post some results

Looking good so far. Interesting that a defensive strategy tactic is creating a possession based tactic whereas my Sacchi attacking strategy is much more about the counter and defensive set-up.
Yeh, it's kind of the exact opposite of sacchi, which is weird as I wasn't expecting how it to play at all.

I still haven't ruled out its all been a freak and the rest of the season could be rubbish. We'll see!

Anyway, like I said, the main purpose is to generate a bit if discussion around something completely different.

However things turn out, I do really like the two wingbacks sitting behind two advanced wingers/IFs with the CDs set as having stopper duty. That combination seems to work really well, and I've been using it in other tactics.

Results Analysis

I thought I'd analyse the following match, to try to highlight and explain some of the key things going on. This match is typical of matches I've been playing.

Match - Away vs CSKA Sofia, EURO Cup; we won 3-1
View attachment 369495

First, lets look at CSKA's shots. They had 11 shots, which may seem quite a lot seeing as I am playing with a Defensive strategy - and indeed that is a fairly typical number of opposition shots in most matches that I am seeing. However, look at their shots diagram:
View attachment 369496
Only one shot was from inside the area (their goal). All other shots are long range efforts either off target or easily dealt with by my goalie. Perfect.

Now we look at my team's shots:
View attachment 369497
This time we see that 10 of my 13 shots were from inside the area, showing we are working the ball into the box nicely (only 2 of the 10 were from corners).

So far so good.

Next, passing and possession. We enjoyed 56% of possession, with a pass completion rate of 81%. Further, we can see where those passes are being made:
View attachment 369498
As I've mentioned before, this Defensive strategy does not show itself to kick the ball around amongst the defenders. We're mostly in the opposition half here, which I am sure is linked to working the ball into the box as seen above.

Finally, average player positions:
View attachment 369499
The defensive line is set very deep, but with the hard working defensive midfielders the gap between defence and midfield is not very large at all. I have also tweaked the MC's (Advanced Playmaker) runs from deep to often now, which I think helps a little with attacking movement.

Still very much a work in progress, but quite satisfying so far :).

I am quite noob here (this is my first post)

Looks like the perfect tandem for my tactic. View attachment 369524
Attack and control tactics just aint my bag, I don't like the player movement and I hate being hit on the break.

I am very keen to test your tactic as an away or tough game strategy.

Did a little experimenting with this idea with a variation of this tactic. Took about 5 weeks for my team to get fluid with the tactic. First game against a very strong Chelsea squad at home. It was a disaster. Admittedly I did not put a very strong lineup on the pitch. Seemed like the opposition sat just outside my box teeing off at my goalkeeper. I lost 0-4 but my goalkeeper was up to task as it easily could of been 0-8 or 0-10. I think my possession was 38%. I made a few tweaks for the next game against a strong Arsenal. Did much better but still lost 1-2. I had the majority of possession and definitely had more opportunities. Gave up two stupid goals, one on a set piece and another on a bad back pass by a WB. I think the problem I am going to have is that I want a tactic that I can rest my AMR and AMLs. My DOF insists on signing a bunch of strikers and ACMs (find me a AMR that can play IF, dammit!) so I want to play 2 strikers and an ACM.

Did a little experimenting with this idea with a variation of this tactic. Took about 5 weeks for my team to get fluid with the tactic. First game against a very strong Chelsea squad at home. It was a disaster. Admittedly I did not put a very strong lineup on the pitch. Seemed like the opposition sat just outside my box teeing off at my goalkeeper. I lost 0-4 but my goalkeeper was up to task as it easily could of been 0-8 or 0-10. I think my possession was 38%. I made a few tweaks for the next game against a strong Arsenal. Did much better but still lost 1-2. I had the majority of possession and definitely had more opportunities. Gave up two stupid goals, one on a set piece and another on a bad back pass by a WB. I think the problem I am going to have is that I want a tactic that I can rest my AMR and AMLs. My DOF insists on signing a bunch of strikers and ACMs (find me a AMR that can play IF, dammit!) so I want to play 2 strikers and an ACM.
One thing I have learned is this will not work with two strikers.

How are you performing, herne? Think this is an interesting approach, as I want to start a new save where I want to develop a whole club-philosophy I am interested in how your approach turns out!