A serious error was encountered and the application will close.

ChelseaFan112

Reaction score
Been playing FM 2012 flawlessly for the last 3 months and suddenly I can't seem to run it any more. Every time I load the game up I get this error box saying "A serious error was encountered and the application will close. An error file has been generated in (pathname).

I have asked on several other forums and the only answer I get is "verify cache LOL", "defragment bro" or my personal favourite "restart computer menz". None of which work.

Anyway, I have not added anything new to the game. I have a few custom leagues that I added a month or so ago, some face packs, and a few other graphics mods, but this is the FIRST time it has happened. Why would it stop working now?

I deleted every single FM related file on my computer, and re-installed the game. Still to no avail, I get that **** message.

I would really appreciate a decent reply. Thanks :)

Update: I have re-installed Steam. Removed ANY trace of FM on my system, but it still refuses to launch. I don't understand how it can be working 24 hours ago and suddenly stop working when I haven't done anything to it.

I doubt it's steam related as all my other games work fine. Very frustrating!! Especially when I just got promoted to nPower League Championship with Wrexham!

Try this, (if you haven't yet!!)

Open Steam, right click on FM12, properties, local files, verify integrity of game cache...

It works with me everytime I can't load the game.

BTW, lately if I have the game loaded and IE aswell, when switching between them the game crashes. Never happened before....go figure!!

Hope this helps.

SLBenfica forever

Congratz bro, you just trolled me bad. Probably deserved that...

Anyway, any other suggestions?

check out my help thread (link in signature)

I heard that sometimes... if you go to C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2012 and delete "Cache", it works...

you have to choose, 'view hidden folders' in your folder options

feel real bad for you man... you on a cracked copy or legit?

i think the problem is with those logos kits skins i removed 50% of them and now it seems that it works (before removing i had like from almost every country logos and kits and all.. but it was crashing all the time first it began when i started any match in 3D it crashed then when i started new game so i re-instllaed but still same, i remember before putting some logos and skins it didnt crash after that it started so i think it works now. remove as much as you can.