A Sting in the Tale : The Borussia Dortmund Guide

Great guide, will definitely try it. As for Nixon's comment, I've tried Thistle save games before but never got into them as I thought I would, a Partick guide would be great! :)

Once again, great indepth guide, and very helpful in terms of the rating system :)

Very, very good indepth guide. Good work :)

Oh dear, wasn't aware of that. If anyone has any other recommendations of experienced free players that I can replace Rivaldo with in the guide, I'm all ears. Am I right in thinking Riquelme's a free agent?

Nope, he's still at Boca. Rivaldo only costs like 3.5 k though.

Nice guide. I tried playing as them for a bit, but I got annoyed as a lot of the players aren't anywhere near as good in FM as they are in real life - I mean Shinji Kagawa has maybe been the best player in the bundesliga, but he's just average in the game, and Goetze should be better too....but anyway, after reading this I might just give them another go.

Rivaldo costs like 10k I think so no problem really, as good as a free agent

Nice guide. I tried playing as them for a bit, but I got annoyed as a lot of the players aren't anywhere near as good in FM as they are in real life - I mean Shinji Kagawa has maybe been the best player in the bundesliga, but he's just average in the game, and Goetze should be better too....but anyway, after reading this I might just give them another go.

I agree that Kagawa should be better. I have struggled to get him scoring, but he seems to score every other game in reality this season

Edited Rivaldo - thanks guys

Last edited:
Superb guide mate. In depth and very helpful for anyone starting a BVB career, or those making guides. Follow the Bundesliga fairly closely IRL and on FM so this is great, thanks!

I played four seasons with them. They are a fun team but to be honest, Götze and Kagawa aren't much to hold on to. And Kagawa should never be used as a playmaker. 10 on passing and 10ish creativity. He might work alrite as a winger but he rarely got any playtime for me. I brought in Kadlec and had him on the left wing and he did quite good.

Great guide. I have just started a new game as them. I started one when I first got FM11, but I never really got going. Hopefully this time I will stick to it.

I'm using the asymmetric tactic you suggested as I've always been intrigued by these kinds of formations. I made a couple of small changes however. One being I moved Kehl across to the right so he is above Subotic and below Sahin. I felt this will cover that weaker right side better. I will have to see if that proves effective or not, however.

Edit: Another thing, remember to set Austria's top division as active, so your affiliate Austria Wein is in a playable division.

Last edited:
Unfortunately already started a Dortmund save before I saw this guide, not too far in though so I've managed to follow it well! Cracking guide though mate, job well done!

I haven't uploaded them. To be honest, I just did roughly what is said in the guide and barely changed anything in the individual instructions, only discouraging shooting from range. They are quite plain and simple, and it seems to work fairly well with Dortmund. I don't want to put tactics on the site without thoroughly testing them and I don't really have the time at the moment - I'm some way short of being a tactical guru anyway!

Last edited:
This guide is class mate! Well done and im going to get stuck in right away with dortmund after reading this guide mate.

Amazing guide. Just started a Dortmund save and already doing well in pre-season.

---------- Post added at 04:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 AM ----------

And yeah, I got some few people who could do well-all free agents

Goalkeeper-Fabian Carini (Uruguay)
Midfielders-Nashat Akram (Iraq) Andranik Teymourian (Iran)
Forward-Vahid Hashemian (Iran)

I just finished half a season with F.C. Porto in testing some possession-based tactics and, to expand it further, went with Borussia Dortmund.

The first thing that came to my mind was to look at this guide for inspiration in tactical approaches and the players that should be used. Great depth, great read, good set-out and definitely informative.

Fantastic indepth guide :)

writing this to say after watching the bvb-bayern game and reading this suberb guide i am ready to start my very first Borussia Dortmund save :)

Last edited:
Defo using this for my Dortmund save mate, well thought out and brilliantly written.

I have also used this for my Dortmund save on FIFA (H)

Agree with the above that the game tonight and the quality of this guide have inspired me to start a Dortmund game, excellent work :)