A Swedish Dream - To Win it all

leckuno

Reaction score
wreJoaYt.png

Club Information

Year Founded: 1904

Stadium: Gamla Ullevi

Capacity: 18,400

Rivals: Orgryte IS (Goteborgs Derby), Goteborgs AIS (Goteborgs Derby), IF Elfsborg (Vast Derby)

Training Facilities: Great

Youth Facilities: Good

Media Predication: 8th

Honours

UEFA Cup: 1982, 1987

Allsvenskan: 1908, 1920, 1918, 1935, 1942, 1958, 1969, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1995, 1996, 2007

Svenska Cupen: 1979, 1982, 1983, 1992, 2008, 2013, 2015

History

Not only is it the only Swedish club to win a major European trophy it is the only club in the Nordic countries that has won one of the main UEFA competitions, having won the UEFA Cup in both 1982 and 1987. IFK have won 18 Swedish championship titles, second most in Swedish football after Malmö FF, and have the second most national cup titles with eight. The team has qualified for four group stages of the UEFA Champions League, and reached the semi-finals of the 1985–86 European Cup.

IFK are without a league title since 2007 meaning it is the longest period since they last won a league title and are currently not primed to make a run for it again in the next season or two as they are expected to finish 8th in the coming campaign.

So why have I picked IFK Goteborg?

Well I have only gone and got myself a new laptop which is a beast so I'm able to load up all the proper logos and the save should run like a dream as well so I'm looking forward to getting stuck into the full game now.

I have always enjoyed reading the stories of Hampus Silverholt where he transforms a league so I will be taking the former UEFA Cup winners and will be looking to transform Swedish football for the better and in the long run the national team as well. I will be looking to get the team back into the Champions League and trying to get to the final.

I will be starting the league season in May 2020 and have no experience of the Nordic leagues so this will be a brand new experience so lets get this party started.​

Transfers

After analysing the squad it was apparent we needed some reinforcements to add some depth to the squad so we dived into the expired contract to see who was available. We brought in a lot of players on trial to see how they would fit in and sadly we lost out on a lot of players who were our first choice but we were able to sign former Stoke player Giannelli Imbula.

6XxHJFX.png

He has insisted on a £675,000 release clause but hopefully we can get rid of that before he leaves but in the meantime he will slot straight into the starting line-up and help out in the middle of the park. The other position we really need help with is up top but we're not able to sign our current targets at the moment so hopefully soon they will lower their wage demands to get back into football and we can sign them.

We had one player leaving the club and that was Amin Affane who joins Vejle BK for £275,000. He was going to be a right down the pecking order and it allowed us to get him off the wage budget and bring in a nice transfer fee.

Preseason

11UG46m.png

We played a fair amount of friendlies to get us ready for the season but the strengthen of the opposition was poor until the end and we struggled against the 2 bigger teams. We did get a lot of positives though from the friendlies and are raring to go when the season starts.

Through preseason I have found that we have a standout player at the club in Alhassan Yussuf. The 19 year old Nigerian will be who I look to build the team around just now and hopefully we can hang onto him or sell him for a small fortune.

European Places

8uGpCwL.png

This shows how far we've got to go to win the Champions League as currently Sweden don't have any teams qualifying for it or the Europa League. The teams who qualify for the Europe Conference League will need to string some strong performances together to get the coefficient up to allow us into the bigger competitions.

Expectations

8ToN1j5.png

We aren't expected to do much in the season and just have to deliver a top half finish. I would like to think we can push further than that and try and grab one of the top 3 and get European football. We still have a nice budget left for bringing in a striker and can juggle them around for a larger wage budget.

Youth Intake

WWOAFTC.png

So one of the bonuses so far about knowing nothing about this league is a nice early youth intake and it looks like we could have some nice prospects coming through. This is going to be vital over the seasons for raising cash and also making Swedish football better as a whole.

June

LBjxczE.png

I'm not going to lie facing Malmo and Hammarby FC in the first months was not what I was wanting but I guess we get to see where we are and how we compare to the teams expected to fight it out for top spot.​

Last edited:
June

n1t80HC.png

What a start to the season as we run rampant and pick up great wins against Malmo FF and Hammarby IF. Imbula made a dream debut in the game against Falkenbergs FF which was great to see. The squad is still missing an out and out striker and we continue to keep looking but there just isn't anybody that's catching my eye that is better than what we already have. We will continue to look though as the transfer window opens up next month. One thing we will look to capitalize on though is we have been given Lille as a parent club so we can hopefully bring in some decent young players to help develop.

League

49oF0OZ.png

We open up a 4 point gap at the top of the table which is nice to see.

July

8TqTIRY.png

Well I wasn't expecting to having 9 league games in a month but I guess that's the price for having the winter off. Its going to be tough with on average around 3 days between each game. We will have to do our best with so little time between games and make the most of our squad to try and keep the results going our way.​

Going to be interesting to see how far you can go! I did a similar-ish save with Kalmar a few years ago and really enjoyed the Swedish league, it always gets tricky when you have a side good enough to reach the knockout rounds of Europe because of when pre-season starts. Didn't even realise that some nations won't have a team in the Champions League because of the new Conference League!

Going to be interesting to see how far you can go! I did a similar-ish save with Kalmar a few years ago and really enjoyed the Swedish league, it always gets tricky when you have a side good enough to reach the knockout rounds of Europe because of when pre-season starts. Didn't even realise that some nations won't have a team in the Champions League because of the new Conference League!
yeah I've been enjoying the league so far which is good. I seem to remember you having a similar issue with your save in Ireland as well

July

KbMcupT.png

Well its been a busy ole month as we play 9 games and it doesn't go our way as we struggle with how quick the games were coming. We only managed to get 12 out of 27 points on offer. The biggest result of the month for us was the win over AIK thanks to a goal from Jakob Johansson. The lowest point of the month were the back to back loses against teams we really should have been beating.

One positive thats come out of this month though is that I've noticed that we are in the Europa League this season and will be starting in the 2nd qualifying round in September so it will be the start of our European journey.

Transfers In

2ZL3biJ.png

We take advantage of of our new parent club and bring in 3 new players who will provide back up to the squad and will get their chances as well over the coming months. We are still on the lookout for a striker as its becoming more apparent. Another piece of positive movement in the window is that we have agreed to sign Isak Pettersson from IFK Norrkoping on a free transfer at the end of December and he will be our No1. from that point onwards.

League

mUf88ZP.png

So Malmo have taken the lead now but we are only 3 points behind. It still looks good though for us finishing in the European spots so we can start building the coefficient back up.

August

er61Fc4.png

Another big month but at least we only have 7 games before we have a nice 3 weeks break before the season picks up again.​

Good luck!!! Playing fm on a brand new laptop suddenly makes you realise that you were living in the dark ages for years!!!!

Still can't believe how fast my one is lol

Good luck!!! Playing fm on a brand new laptop suddenly makes you realise that you were living in the dark ages for years!!!!

Still can't believe how fast my one is lol
It really does. Its just daft things as well like being able to have the logos and even being able to watch the games rather than just using the commentary which has been a massive thing for me

August

u3m8FAq.png

Well its a much better month than July as this time we managed a respectable 14 points out of 21 and the only loss of the month coming against Malmo. The dropped points against Orebro SK were disappointing though but at least we got a point against IFK Norrkoping in the final game of the month to keep us ahead of them in 2nd place.

League

nzk2C3t.png

Malmo have opened up a 10 point lead which I don't see us closing but we'll do our best.

September

DVFJu1S.png

A nice short month and we have the added bonus of being in the Europa league. We also have the cup game as well to look forward to.​

Great that you play with the mist beutyful team in the world. The greatest planera we have are Torbjörn ”God” Nilsson, noone scored more goals than him in the european cups in the 80s. Glenn Hysén leauge champion with Liverpool. I miss the times when were a top club in europe. This year we just avoid relegation.

September

JiIzid6.png

It was a pretty quiet month in comparison to the last couple and it was needed as it meant we got to rest the players as they were dead men walking after July and August. We got off to a good start with a well fought draw against AIK who have been struggling this season which were followed up by a win and a loss in the league for 4 points out of 9. The talking point this month though was we then got our Europa League journey under way against outfit Zalgiris Vilnius and they didn't pose any real threat to us as we swept them aside 3-1 to be drawn against Norwegian rivals Rosenborg. We knew Rosenborg were going to give us a tough game and they did but we took full advantage of playing at home and managed to ****** a 1-0 win meaning we go into the final qualifying round where we will face Italian and European greats AC Milan.

Youth

My favourite time of the season as its when we get to see who is joining the ranks and if we have any future stars. We have 2 players that look like they'll make the cut.

AymsIRX.png

Our top prospect is Matthias Abdullahi who is a pacey winger that we will look to start giving some game time to over the rest of the season.

mCpG0VI.png

League

A7nF2A1.png

Well Malmo are running away with it now.

October

3wqDnnA.png

Milan is the only game I care about this month and will be throwing everything at them.​

October

PYtWVVQ.png

Well we went all out against Milan but it just didn't go to plan for us at all as we fell behind after just 6 minutes thanks to a goal from Rafael Leao and we managed to get some good chances just our players just weren't able to take their chances. The finishing blow was dealt by Norwegian player Jens Petter Hauge in the 70th minute. We took a lot of positives from the game but it was disappointing not to make it to the group stages. We did make a nice bit of money from gate receipts and prize money though which is always helpful. Next was the Swedish cup where we were able to give game time to a lot of players who haven't featured much including new youth product Matthias Abdullahi where we managed to demolish 3rd tier Team TG FF to get into the group stages. We followed it up with a good win against Helsinborgs IF in the league before a disappointing defeat to Djurgardens IF

League

rdKc53z.png

With only 4 games to go its looking like a tight finish and we will have to be at our best to make sure we finish in the top 4

November

VvExviD.png

Should hopefully be a nice finish to the season and hopefully confirm our top 4 status.​

Final Run In

L3HCaf7.png

Well it a was a disappointing end to the season as we only ended up with 5 points out of 12 on offer but the team just seemed to lose their focus towards the end of the season but it was enough to get us European football next season and thats all that matters. With the run in I decided to try and look to spend our remaining transfer budget rather than lose it so we scouted the other Nordic leagues and ear marked a couple of players but the player that we decided to sign in the end was Edvard Tagseth who is a 20 year old Norwegian central midfielder who has a great future ahead of himself. He joining for £3,000,000 from Rosenborg. With this he becomes the record signing of the club and will be the player who we build our midfield around over the next few seasons.

xXNjhL9.png

League

L3HCaf7.png

Well we finish 3rd in the league which is well above the expectations set out by the club earlier so we will be looking to perform in the Europa Conference League to start getting to Coefficient up.

Svenska Cupen

3V6SocI.png

On paper we should progress from the group but we will see what happens over the course of the 3 games.

Budget

hPw4Usd.png

We have a decent budget for this league I'd say and we will look to add to it by clearing out some players to free up wages as well.​

Transfers

x7teU8b.png

So on top of the Tagseth deal we have continued to spend with bringing in young Norwegian Center back Jesper Dalande from Start and he will go straight into the starting line up. We will be looking to hopefully make a profit from him in another season or two. The other big signing this season is Bartol Barisic who comes in from Dinamo Zagreb for £4.5 million. He will be the main striker this season and if we can't keep hold of him we will be looking to turn a big profit on him. We signed two more key players in Isak Pettersson who will become our number 1 and already has 2 caps for the national team. Finally we signed Pape Souare who will be our starting left back this season as well.

zpVYvam.png

We pretty much got rid of as many people as we could on a fee that we had better players for to ensure we had the best transfer budget possible along with freeing up the wages as well.

Preseason

vdeRQ1w.png

Well this did not go well as we played most of it without a striker at the club and it really showed in the performances. Luckily it did pick up towards the end though with two 2-1 victories. I also treated the group stages of the cup as friendlies as well since we now had our striker and he delivered with 5 goals out of the 9 we scored. The defence and keeper are working a lot better together now as well with clean sheets in the 3 games.​

Last edited:
March

SspsqfA.png

March see's us play another 2 rounds of the cup. In the Quarter final Barisic was on top form and got a hat-trick to see us through to the semi final. He is really showing how good he is going to be at this level. The semi final was a bit trickier for us and we got pushed right until the end but a first goal from Jamal Musiala was enough to see us into the Final where we will face Malmo in May.

Expectations

mNbsYJ2.png

The expectations seem fair going into the season and I would expect no less from the team and think we might even be able to push Malmo this season.

April

S14Ex9A.png

The season finally gets underway properly and we have some big games again this month but its not a bad thing to get them out the way early and at least the games are at home. So lets get our second season started.​

April

RBheEOf.png

Well its been a **** of a start to the season as we managed to get 5 wins out of 6. We even managed to score 18 goals and only conceded 5. Barisic has been on top form scoring 10 of the goals this month with 5 of them coming in the 7-1 win against Helsinborgs. Its only going to be a matter of time before bigger clubs start looking at him. The only blemish on the month was the defeat to Malmo who wanted to put us back in our place and show us how much further we've got to go.

League

eZHzZ06.png

Well we sit top of the league after the first round of games but Malmo are hot on our tails.

May

5RCQfPF.png

Another busy month with 7 games but the big game comes at the end of the month with the cup final against Malmo. Lets hope we can avenge the defeat from last month.​

May

bakcOwJ.png

Well the month wasn't as successful but we still managed a respectable 14 points out of 21. The loss against IK Sirius was the low point of the month as they seem to be becoming our bogey team as we lost to them last season as well.

The big game of the month though was the final one where we faced Malmo in the Svenska Cupen as we looked to retain the trophy that the club had picked up last season. Bartol Barisic had an amazing game for us as he scored another excellent hat-trick in the second half to had the club their first piece of silverware under my tenure and hopefully it will be the first of many.

Apart from that it was a good all round month for the club as the nation is gripped by the Euro's coming up in June.

League

8D9ogMe.png

Malmo are back to the top of the table but hopefully this time we won't let them run away with it.

July

DtVadQf.png

A nice big break for the players because of the Euro's but it does mean that the next set of games we start our qualifying for the Euro Conference League as well.

Youth

jf338dt.png

So we have a couple of decent center backs coming through ranks so hopefully at least one of them makes the grade and can force their way into the first team​

July

kpIpEev.png

Well in the league we complete the clean sweep with three good wins. Our young team is coming together nicely. The big games of the month though were in the Europa Conference League second qualifying round as we face FK Qabala from Azerbaijan. The 1st leg we ran absolute riot as we have 5 different goal scorers with Barasic and Musiala getting a brace each. In the 2nd leg we were able to rotate the squad and give some other people a chance to show what they could do. We struggled a bit more at home but they delivered and we now face Rapid Wien in the 3rd qualifying round.

We also signed a new player this month in Zan Zaletel from Celje for £1,500,000 and he completes our transfers for the season. Zetal is a strong center back who will go into the starting XI and line up next to Daland.

tEH5slU.png

League

LcvrpiI.png

We return to the top of the table and even though Malmo have a game in hand we still have the advantage.

August

T2iXiXi.png

A busier month with some big games that could shape the table at the end of the season

Sweden Sign New Manager

uYYapX0.png

After finishing last in their Euro Nations League group and then terrible European Championships they decided to sack national manager Janne Andersson so after a rigouros interview process they decided to offer the job to the IFK Goteborg manager. ITs going to be a new era for the Nordic nation as we will first look to become the best Nordic nation before looking at Europe and then the world.

In all honesty the job has come up a bit earlier than I expected but its not a chance I'm going to give up and wait for it to come up again.

My first task will be making sure we keep up the qualification for the world cup next year where we currently sit top of the group after 3 games.

NyqyKPR.png

Key Players

There are a number of key players that we'll be looking to build the team around and below are only some of them.

G3Kq7ro.png

The key players in my eyes though are going to be Dejan Kulusevski who can play anywhere behind our key striker who will be Alexander Isak. Victor Lindelof will be a big player in defence. I will also be looking to integrate some youngsters into the squad as well such as goalkeeper Tim Ronning, Attacking midfielder Benjamin Nygren and central midfielder Mattias Svanberg.