A Tale of Two Cities (well towns really)

Sheahan

Reaction score
As i write this im loading up my new game. My goal? to take over the control of a team in the BSN and one from the BSS and make each manager one of the best in the world. Rules on doing so? N/A aslong as its allowed in the game i'll be doing what i can to work my way up. We have a Large DB with all English leagues, La Liga and Secunda, Bundesliga, Serie A/B, SPL/Div1 and the top French an Dutch league. Add key staff is turned off, as is First window transfer budgets. I use this as we're on 9.3 so technically the squads we have now would have no additions unless they we're free transfers or loans. Right, now down to the teams, BSN will be Gresley Rovers, i've added them in there as i think it'll be a real challenge, rep of 450 should prove worthy of any LLM's time. BSS im still undecided as of yet, i've been Bognor a couple of times previously so may avoid them, maybe i should of added another team down low. Will update with team findings an what not when i've had a good look about the place.

Ok first update is that i've added Sutton Coldfield to BSS and Gresley Rovers to the BSN. Sutton had no chairman so i also removed Gresleys. Bye bye Mark Evans. I will control both teams an see how i do, im assuming avoiding relegation in both cases is going to be a big thing.

Last edited:
Sutton Coldfield pre-season assesment

much in the same light as Gresley Sutton have a poor team with little future prospects, minus points for a wage budget of less then 750p/w an bad finacial status in general, plus points come from having a larger stadium (double Gresleys infact) and better expected results pre-season, Again on the same level as Gresley we'll be hoping to win most if not all our games as otherwise its going to be a long hard season.

Next update will come Post-pre-season

did u create the teams to go into the database???

No both teams are already in the game just in much lower divisions, the only editting i did was to put them in the leagues an remove the current chairmen, which is why i believe the financial state of the teams is so poor

Wow, good luck with this. My dad used to play for Sutton Coldfield when he was a lot younger! your tempting me into doing one of these with hastings utd and eastbourne town.

Wow, good luck with this. My dad used to play for Sutton Coldfield when he was a lot younger! your tempting me into doing one of these with hastings utd and eastbourne town.

I actually know on a personal level my assistant manager at Gresley (Tony Hemmings) and one of the players (Matt Moran) used to play in there youth team. Main reason i chose them really

BSN - Vauxhall Motors
BSS - Honestly cant remember, whoever had the second worst rep. Couldnt take out Bognor lol

Last edited:
Thats pretty cool, I know some of the Eastbourne Town players because i go to school there. Might be them as they are very very bad. Not even semi professional i think.

good luck with this mate. i thought cultural leonesa was a challenge lol.........

Pre-Season over

Sutton Coldfield analysis

1-2 A Newcastle Town
Not exactly the start we we're looking for here, 1-0 up at half time and i tried to be a bit more adventrous with an attacking line up in the second half an paid the price for it

6-0 H Guiseley
Stook to my defensive tactic all game an Guiseley never really threatened

3-2 H Hemel Hempstead
Bit of a Yo-Yo game here, went 1-0 down early, got it back to 2-1 then 2-2 with a winner in the 52 min. Stringing some wins together will do the boys confidence some good

3-1 H Ashford
Again looked like the better team for the full 90, glad to see the boys not gettin tired

1-1 H Radcliffe Boro
Denied the win by a fluke goal in the second half, otherwise a solid performance form the boys

3-1 H Lancaster

Final pre-season game ends up with a comfortable win

Conclusion

Although the boys played well the competition when we start in the league will be alot tougher so we still dont know where we stand, Something which is mirrored in the press and at the bookies, the press have us finishin 21st, where-as the bookies have us at 6-1 for promotion (something i see highly unlikely to happen) With only 2 new signings an 3 loan players brought in it could be a rough season on the boys. We'll be relying on the skills of Annerson far to much for my liking, but the lack of interest from other players has made it so.

Season Goals
Avoid relegation, increase club stature and try an go on a cup run to bring in the money

Pre-Season analysis

Games

1-0 H Banbury
A game we we're expected to lose, played defensively an caught Banbury on the break, welcome to Gresley 08'

4-1 H Osset Town
This game came as a suprise to me, i expected us to be grinding out results against any teams, so to come an dominate one like this was a very welcome suprise

1-1 H Skelmersdale
This is more how i expected things to go, some poor play lead to a second half equaliser after a splendid first half

3-0 H Bromsgrove
Back to winning ways, i could get used to this winning stuff

3-1 H Bamber Bridge
The last game before the big one, couldn't really have gone any better. Cracking start to my career

0-0 H Stevenage
I'd go as far as to say i was hoping we'd lose by one or two, i would of eaten your hand if you offered me 0-0 before the game, playing a BSP side we expected to lose, or atleast get pegged back, neither happened an we looked just as likely to score, roll on the season

Conclusion
Well the bookies and the press have us down in 22nd (5000-1 on promotion) but with a couple of loan signings coming in (Liam Hook, Ryan Whitehurst) i expect us to stay up. I have high hopes for Gresley this season.

Season hopes
Same as Sutton really, although after the Stevenage game i probably have more expectations of Gresley than Sutton.

Next full update will be on Januarary 1st 2009
i will update in a minute or two with the first game scores so you can see if we have any chance of holding our own

First Games of the Season

Sutton Coldfield vs Bishop's Stortford

Bishop's are a team expected by the media to finish 14th so today would be a good test of the Sutton team, even playing at home the bookies stacked the odds against us winning, could we prove them wrong?

The first half saw us sit back an control the game and its tempo, although Bishop's got more shots most of them we're long rang efforts as the struggled to break down our defense, all of the better chances falling to Sutton, also having a goal ruled out for offside. First Half see's Sutton look the better team. Time to put some chances away for real in the second half

Half-Time 0-0

In the second half Bishop's came out like a team that had just been thrashed by there manager, they came forward in numbers but still only managed 2 none long range shots, both of which we're missed by poor finishing, Sutton on the other hand withered, only in 5 mins of the second half did Sutton even look like scoring creating one chance of note

Full Time 0-0

Probably should of had more from the game but nice to know we weren't dominated by the big boys. Bring it on

Gresley Rovers vs Redditch United

Redditch are favorites by a country mile, with a press expected finish of 16th it was these sort of games we needed to come out an win or atleast perform well in to have any hope of survival. Lets hope Gresley don't kill my dreams at the first hurdle

The first 10 minutes see's Gresley pile on the pressure, but to no avail, not even a shot on target. Redditch the procede to take the ball forwards and take a 1-0 lead through a Carl Heggs strike. Gresley still look more likely to add a goal to the game with a goal ruled out for offside. Under similar circumstances Paul Edwards gives Gresley there equaliser. GET IT!!! What a first half

Half-time 1-1

The boys are sent back out after being told that they can win this game. No changes are made by Gresley but maybe this is a mistake as Redditch sub Carl Bruce comes on and score in the first minute of the second half. 4 Minutes later an Pat Lyons picks up his first in the red shirt to give Gresley another equaliser. Just one more goal boys. Penalty!!! Spittle commits a foal on Hook in the box and Gresley get a spot kick, Hook instantly picks up the ball an claims the kick for himself. Goal for Gresley 3-2. Amazing, 399 fans + 1 Manager raow there appriciation. 23 minutes to hold out now. Whitehusrt Scores!!! Gresley double there tally an take a 4-2 lead, surely the games over now. If that wasn't enough Edwards plonks in his second of the day 5-2 a MoM performance from him Giving Gresley a well deserved win

Full Time 5-2

well what can i say, after a lack luster Sutton game i really don't think i was expecting that Gresley performance, lets hope both teams can keep a little run going, give them some breathing space away from that bottum. Januarary here we come

im been in the bss south now 4 2nd and now goin in2 the 3rd with bognor and both times 40 points av been enuf 2 avoid the drop so im guessing if both teams get 2 40 points u shud b alrite.

Im playing as Southport, probably an easier career starter, predicted to come 1st. And i just got Man Utd as my parent club. so all in all its looking good.