travis.marnie

Reaction score
Um i don't know wether there is already a thread for this or if this makes sense so apologies beforehand but i just wanted to share a theory with everyone and see what you think.

Before i start i don't have any screenshots, or anything like that but pure theory and i am just interested in what your guy's view is on the following.

Ok so let me begin

I have this theory that press conferences have a little bit more of a role to play than i actually first belived.i used to think that say whatever and test out different things and see how your players re-act and even if they are upset then it wouldn't make a big difference.

Then the following happened,i was playing man utd(as always) on a 25 game unbeaten streak, and i got overconfident in the build up to a game a said i would easily win, my players were happy that i was optimistic and they were happy with what i had said,

I played stoke at home and got beat 3-1.!!!!

And stoke were missing four key players, i played a full strength team.

So my theory and forgive me if this sounds silly but i actually think it is one of those things that at the right timing could play a pivitol role in your season is that sometimes given the timing of it your press conferences can exert overconfidence in your players and lead to complacency.

I also found that sometimes just beofre an easy game playing down your chances of winning makes your players more determined to prove you wrong even if it says in their profile that they are unhappy with your comments.

I don't really know but i think it must link somehow to confidence, play on how determined a player is and at times make a slight and very big impact on some very important games in the season.

Please say what you think about this and i hope it makes sense and doesn't seem like i am talking a load of bull.!!!!

Course it does, say the wrong thing at the wrong time, and your team suffers. It's a very large feature of the press conferences, and if it was always the same result from the same answers, we'd have no immersion. Even in FM2010, it varied from day to day what should be said.

For instance, in FM2011, as Seoul, I told the press that we would have no trouble beating another team (Seongham I think it was...). My players, brimming with confidence after a 6 game winning streak, waltzed onto the field only to be destroyed 3 - 1, our goal was one of our 3 shots on goal over the whole 90 minutes. My players, and my board, were upset with me. However, when the next game came along, I said we'd go out attacking from the beginning, and that we would win at all costs, and we did. It gives the game that much more realism and adds layers and layers of immersion.

You're spot on! It seems the press conference works in several ways communication wise. I think you communicate with the press, your team, the fans and you opponent during press conference - depending on what todays issue is e.g. newly bought players, relations to other managers, matchday setups a.s.o.

When commenting on winning streaks, always say that as long as your players work hard, you can maintain the winning streak. I think this will help the players to work harder. When asked about relations to managers who dislike you, tell the press that you don't want to waste time on them. When asked about strikers lack of scoring goals, be supportive towards the player. When asked about internal disharmony, say you'll handle it personally with the player in a near furture. and so on.

Be diplomatic, encouraging, and polite.

Your press conferences are rendered irrelevant if your teamtalks are ****, I think.

There are ways of countering high morale with specific teamtalks. JPwoody made a good post on it. You can use high morale and even overconfidence to push your players.

Definitely. There are several pivotal factors that could affect a result/performance.

-How strong your team actually are (any key weaknesses) and individual player performance

You may have a brilliant side, but make sure each area of the team is comfortable. For example if you have a left-back who is fantastic, great all round game, but is tall and has low accelaration a bad game from him against a pacey winger could absolutely wreck your chances of winning a game. Look at Maicon against Gareth Bale. No doubt Maicon is one of the greatest full-backs in the world, but when he came up against Bale on both occasions he was ripped apart.

- Key players out injured

If David Villa is out injured and you're replacing him with a sub-standard player or a young inexperienced player it will seriously dent your chances of winning. Massive part of the game, and one or two players missing can make all the difference and even have an affect on your own team (in terms of morale and confidence).

- Press conferences (as mentioned)

Press conferences do play a larger part than most would think. Complacency from the manager can easily pass down through the staff and most importantly players. Press conferences will affect each and every player in a different way although giving massively confident players even more confidence can lead to them becoming complacent which can simply lead to a poor performance, sometimes not just from individuals, but from the whole team.

- Teamtalks

I've read countless guides on teamtalks yet still use my own techniques in the dressing room. Check assistant feedback before matches to see who is over-confident or who is lacking in confidence. I keep them basic though, only doing individual teamtalks when really needed. Generally when the player is new or young, lacking in confidence or brimming with it or if the player has put in a really bad performance in a previous match.

- Team selection

Links in with the top one. Playing a defensive pairing of two giant stoppers against two pacey strikers can hurt your chances, especially if balls are being played into channels. This is just a scenario however and bad team selection can come back to haunt you.

- Long winning streaks (draws in complacency)

A difficult one to manage. You're bound to lose sometime. Try to handle it with good teamtalks, rotation of any players in bad form, keep the squad disiplined and on their toes, but yeah you are bound have a one off loss or a rough patch sometime in the season.

- Players blending into the squad

New players can take a while to fit in and adapt to new surroundings. It can take up to a year to learn the language and get used to a new style of football. Not only will it affect the individuals morale but sometimes (normally not intentionally) a new player can affect team morale. Watch for bad performances from new players and try to blend them in gradually (not in some cases). Same with young players who you have brought through the clubs ranks or brought in from elsewhere, gradually ease him into the team, he'll still be getting to know the lads, and the country.
- And the obvious, luck, refereeing decisions etc..

Another little thing to take into account, is how your team reacts to being treated with different emotions. I've had teams, and individual players, who played far better if I had absolutely no faith in them and showed complete lack of trust in them. Others, would play horribly under those situations. It differs from team to team, year to year. You can, if you put your mind to it, change a player's whole attitude through conferences and talks with that player.

Another little thing to take into account, is how your team reacts to being treated with different emotions. I've had teams, and individual players, who played far better if I had absolutely no faith in them and showed complete lack of trust in them. Others, would play horribly under those situations. It differs from team to team, year to year. You can, if you put your mind to it, change a player's whole attitude through conferences and talks with that player.

Aye, I missed player interaction out, but it is half 7 in the morning :p

Hey thanks guys,

I totally agree with what you have said,

I agree there are several factors that can determine or shall i say contribute in some way towards a result,its funny i never really thought too much into it but i really think that aspect of the game is very interesting,

I think anyone can get away with random answers in the press conference but sometimes a bad answer or the wrong one at the wrong time can make quite a big difference,

Cheers for the feedback i thought people would think this was silly.

team talks and press conferences make a huge difference to complaicency, you have to try and get it as balanced as you can :)

I think it can make a massive difference. A few days before a game I will look at the opposition, for example Liverpool vrs Man Utd. Antonio Valencia has very poor morale, so I make it known to the media that he has been playing poor and this adds extra pressure onto the lad.

I don’t really try to single out anyone on form, it has had a bad turn on me thus far.

I think it can make a massive difference. A few days before a game I will look at the opposition, for example Liverpool vrs Man Utd. Antonio Valencia has very poor morale, so I make it known to the media that he has been playing poor and this adds extra pressure onto the lad.

I don’t really try to single out anyone on form, it has had a bad turn on me thus far.

I've only ever singled out I think two players consistently. One was Batuhan Karedeniz on FM2010, because he only ever performed well if I was an *** to him... And the other player I don't remember, but I had to always be extra nice and single him out cause he was a fragile little flower -_- But he performed well, so I dealt with it :p

Hey thanks guys,

I totally agree with what you have said,

I agree there are several factors that can determine or shall i say contribute in some way towards a result,its funny i never really thought too much into it but i really think that aspect of the game is very interesting,

I think anyone can get away with random answers in the press conference but sometimes a bad answer or the wrong one at the wrong time can make quite a big difference,

Cheers for the feedback i thought people would think this was silly.

Shows how stupid, people who think the game is 'scripted' or 'fixed' are.

Are you having a go at me mate?

No, quite the opposite. Fair play to you for actually looking at the situation and realising different factors affect your teams results.

cool, no worries,

I read it wrong i guess.

Yeah i am really interested in this side of the game because i think it plays a big role in outcoes of matches,

Thats why whenever i see posts of "i can't win a game" and "my tactics don't work" that i start thinking there really are some idiots in the world haha!

Something I'd like to try, is to turn my whole team into violent ********. For instance, all my defenders look for hard tackles and get fouled quit a bit, never stay on their feet during tackles, always get stuck in. All the players making harsh comments about the opposition, my assistant manager being a douche in press conferences, and each tackle is more of an excuse to injure someone. Not because this is how I think football should be played, nor is this because I'd like this team, it'd just be really interesting to see...

Wouldn't be too hard to do really, it might take me a season or two, but it'd be possible...

Something I'd like to try, is to turn my whole team into violent ********. For instance, all my defenders look for hard tackles and get fouled quit a bit, never stay on their feet during tackles, always get stuck in. All the players making harsh comments about the opposition, my assistant manager being a douche in press conferences, and each tackle is more of an excuse to injure someone. Not because this is how I think football should be played, nor is this because I'd like this team, it'd just be really interesting to see...

Wouldn't be too hard to do really, it might take me a season or two, but it'd be possible...

what would probably happen is your team would lose probably every match due to red cards,your best players would have lengthy bans,therefor your morale would drop,you would lose more games, putting you players under more pressure who in turn would get even more red cards and you probably wouldn't last long .

I always say positive things, and my teams usually steamroll