Our first game in the Europa League at home to the Bulgarian team I’m only half-convinced are actually real was an absolute walk in the park, with 33-year-old Douglas Luiz getting on the scoresheet in his 13th season at the club

ardasep31.png

We followed that up with some more really impressive results, first away to Manchester United in the league with a 1-1 draw before grabbing all 3 points away to 1st seeds Hoffenheim in our second Europa League game.

Sched sep31.png

We’re just 2 games in but I firmly expect us to make it to the Europa League knockout rounds

europa table 31.png

Everything was going incredibly well for us, so it was only a matter of time before we were brought back down to earth.

That happened with a completely unexpected and rather undeserved home loss to recently promoted Burnley

burnley aug31.png
burnley stats aug31.png

The 1-0 loss also ended our record 24-game unbeaten run, which stretched back to last season.

unbeaten run 31.png

The loss was even more annoying because if we had won, then we would be going into the October international break top of the Premier League table!

table sep31.png

Our 4 summer signings have hit the ground running and all have contributed to 5+ goals across all competitions already!

signings stats.png

Tammy Abraham has a very impressive 6 goals and 2 assists in 7 Premier League games but is being rather outshone by Haaland who has 14 Premier League goals already.

haaland goalssep31.png

A busy few weeks approach as the games come thick and fast in the Premier League, Europa League and League Cup.

upcoming sched.png

Those league games against Man City and Arsenal are going to be a real test to see if we can keep up with some of the best teams in the league!​

After our unexpected home loss to Burnley last time out, we followed that up with two draws in the league against West Ham (which was a poor result) and Man City (which was a very good result)

west ham 1-1 31.png
man city 1-1 31.png

That made it 3 games without a win in the Premier League, so the pressure was slightly on as we travelled to the Emirates to play Arsenal

Screenshot 2022-09-17 at 13.36.39.png

But you know you’ve built a good team when you go to Arsenal and completely outplay them!

That game was sandwiched between easy victories against Partizan (who we also beat in the away tie) and Hull in the League Cup.

sched nov31.png

Our 4 wins from 4 Europa League matches also mean that we’re confirmed as winners of our group already - so there will be plenty of opportunities for the backups and youth players in the final 2 dead rubber matches!

qualify el.png

europa table nov31.png

And we went into the November international break on the back of an emphatic 5-1 win over local rivals West Brom, with Tammy Abraham again scoring 2 goals!

albion 5-1.png

10 goals in 11 Premier League games is not enough to keep him in the England squad though apparently!

abraham dropped.png

Those goals still only make him 4th highest scorer in the division behind Haaland, Mbappe and… Troy Parrott! All 3 are averaging a goal less than every 60 mins!

parrot nov31.png

Still, Tammy’s goals have got us up to 4th and if we keep up this form we could be in a title race!

table nov31.png

At the back, Jon Casado is turning into an incredible player for us - he was signed for big money from Athletic Bilbao just over a year ago but the £51m we paid is now looking like a bargain.

casado nov31.png

One of our more recent summer signings Jesus Aguilera has annoyingly picked up an injury that will keep him out for a month.

ag injury.png

However that now gives £27m signing Leandro Pedroso the chance to stake his claim as our starting right winger - he already has 7 goals and 5 assists across the Europa League, League Cup and a handful of Premier League appearances.

pedroso nov31.png

So things are going very well at the moment - there’s a long way to go but this Villa team are very close to becoming the real deal.

We’re 11 years into the save and now at the weird stage where people like Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Joao Moutinho are Premier League managers!

ox fulham.png

ox fulham manager.png

moutinho west ham.png

A lot of our players are regens, one of which Yuri Kame decided to get sent off in his first game for Brazil!

kame sent off.png

kame nov31.png

And in celebration, he got injured for 6 weeks to leave us with limited options in attacking positions.

kame injury.png

Not that it mattered as we got an impressive 3-0 win over top 4 rivals Newcastle and an even better 4-0 win over Spurs, who were finalists in the Champions League last season!

spurs 4-0.png
newcastle 3-0.png

Little did I know that was just the start of the brilliant form as we ended up winning every single one of our games in December.

sched dec31.png

So as we head into 2032, it seriously looks like we’re in a 3-horse title race with City and United.

Table dec31.png

Tammy Abraham is proving to be one of my best ever signings as the 34 year old has 18 goals in 16 games! That still only makes him the 4th highest score in the league though.

abraham goals dec31.png

abraham dec31.png

Unsurprisingly the form has earned us a new contract on £55k a week - it’s crazy to think we were on just £140 a week in our first job of the save at Colwyn Bay!

new contract.png

In the Europa League, our squad players more than showed their worth by winning our last 2 group stage games comfortably. We finished top of Group D with 6 wins and 18 goals and will enter the Second Knockout Phase in March next year.

europa table.png

And backup goalkeeper Pontus Dahlberg was also the hero against Arsenal in the EFL Cup quarter final, saving 2 penalties in the shoot out to take us to the semi-final for the second season in a row as Villa boss

dahlberg arsenal.png

We’ll play Fulham in the sem-final, which means we’re big favourites to make it to the final.

fulham sem.png

It’s not going so well at my former club Blackburn though as Henrik Larsson was sacked with them 16th in the Championship table - just 20 months after we took them to an FA Cup final!

Henrick sacked.png

And it’s not faring any better for my previous club before them Lincoln, who are bottom of the Championship table.

blackburn dec31.png

But what a month it’s been at Villa, it seriously could not be going any better at the moment!​

Our hectic schedule continued at the start of January with our two EFL Cup semi-finals against Fulham.

Considering they were in a relegation battle we were strong favourites, but we still couldn’t beat them at home in the first leg.

fulhm first leg.png
fulham stats 1st leg.png

The pressure was on in the second leg, so we went with a full strength team.

fulham second leg.png

And that decision paid off, Tammy Abraham is the man!

wembley feb32.png

We’ll play much stronger opponents Liverpool in the final - it’s our first final since the 2030 FA Cup final with Blackburn and the chance to win our first bit of silverware since the League One title as Lincoln manager!

liverpool final 32.png

Did the cup run impact league form? Nope!

The incredible set of results continued, this time with a 2-0 win against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge

chelsea 0-2 32.png

And we kept on winning and winning and winning, so much so that by the end of January we had won 11 in a row!

eleven in a row.png

For the first time ever we were top of the Premier League table. We also had a game in hand over Man City in 2nd position, who were the team we faced next.

table city.png

So it was 1st against 2nd in the title race. Even though it was only January it still felt like a pivotal game.

city preview.png

But it was not to be for us as we suffered only our second loss of the season - Haaland’s 2 late goal put gloss on the result for City but the game showed that we’re still slightly behind the top teams in the Premier League

city result 4-1.png

That was our only loss in January, so it was still a very successful month overall for us especially as City went on to drop points

sched jan32.png

So things are hotting up at the top of the table, we’re level on points with City and United but still with a game in hand.

table jan32.png

Not for a lack of trying, but it was a quiet January transfer window for us.

Backup striker Jamie Donley wanted to leave, so the £22m offered by Leeds was good enough to convince me to sell him.

donley jan32.png

donley careeer jan32.png

That freed up a bit of funds which I wanted to use to bring in another quality central midfield player.

However it didn’t go to plan, as Man City’s Reinier opted to join Chelsea instead of us whereas Jochen Trager decided to sign a new deal at Bayern after our bid for him was accepted!

reinier chelsea.png

trager bayern.png

So there are no new additions to the squad for now, which I hope doesn’t come back to bite me.

Next up is the League Cup final against Liverpool and a chance of silverware for the first time as Villa boss.

It feels like we’ve had a game in hand on Man City and United for almost all of the season, and that game against Southampton was finally played in February.

soton 1-3.png

A routine 3-1 saw us go top of the table once again. With 13 games remaining it was really becoming a dare to dream moment.

table 25 2032.png

But that bubble was soon burst at home to Everton. We were so unlucky to lose as we were much the better team - but it’s the results that matter!

everton 0-1.png
everton stats32.png

That result had to be put to one side though, as our first final as Villa boss approached.

liverpool preview.png

And it was a brilliant performance by the players, with Tammy Abraham scoring an early screamer and substitute Leandro Pedroso grabbing a winner late on.

final score efl cup.png

past winners eflcup.png

Despite the success we’ve had at Blackburn and Villa, that was our first trophy as manager since winning League One with Lincoln!

history manager 32.png

The result immediately caused Allegri to lose his job as Liverpool manager. It’s a job I would’ve been interested in at the start of the season, but if we’re going to win a major competition I think Villa are the club that we’ll be at.

allegr sack.png

Good results continued after that, with two consecutive 5-goal hauls against Sheffield United and Crystal Palace in the league.

sched mar32.png

It is still stupidly close at the top of the table - just 10 games remain and we’re 3 points off City (but still with a game in hand!)

table mar32.png

Something I’ve not appreciated enough this season is how good defensively we have been - we’ve conceded just 18 goals in our 28 matches in the league so far

DEFENSIVE FORM 32.png

Left-back Junior is a big part of that form, but it’s his attacking output that’s been more impressive this season. He has 15 assists in the Premier League so far

junior march32.png

junior assists 32.png

At times I’ve almost forgotten we’re still in the Europa League as it’s been so long since we’ve played in the competition after winning our group comfortably.

Scottish side Aberdeen will be our opponents in the 2nd Knockout Round.

abederdeen europa.png

It’s probably one of the best teams we could’ve faced at this stage and I have to admit that there aren’t too many teams left in the competition who I fear.

europa draw last16.png

We’ve also been drawn against Man City in the quarter-final of the FA Cup. With such a busy schedule, it might have to be a game and a competition that I sacrifice in order to concentrate on the league and Europe.

City cup draw.png

Some huge games are up next. We play Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea in our next 3 league games so we’re going to know if we’re still in a title race by the time we’ve played them all!

upcoming sched 32.png

It’s truly getting to the business end of the season now - massive games in the Europa League and Premier League await us and could determine our season.​

Europa League knockout time - we’ve come a long way since being in the second division of Wales many months ago!

We utterly dominated the first leg of our last 16 tie, but could only beat Aberdeen 2-1.

aber stats first leg.png
aber first leg.png

It was a solid performance in second leg though, with back up centre back Burger scoring the solitary goal.

aberdeen second leg.png

That set us up with a quarter-final against Hannover, who are 4th in the Bundesliga. They’re no pushovers but a team of our quality should be beating them over 2 legs.

hannover qf.png

bundesliga hannover.png

The relentless schedule was creeping up on us at this point and is was one step too far against Man City in the FA Cup quarter final - the game going to extra time did us no favours with our packed schedule!

city cup qf.png

And sure enough, it caught up with us against Hannover.

It was a really dissapointing first leg in Germany and we really should’ve won the game, but ended up losing 1-0.

hannover first leg.png
hannover stats first leg.png

Tiredness and fatigue were creeping into many members of the squad - so the next 3 games being in the space of 5 days was the last thing that we needed!

busy sched.png

The second leg against Hannover was my sole priority, yet we still managed to get a 3-1 win against Southampton in my 500th career match.

soton 3-1.png

500 games.png

Tammy Abraham played 60 minutes in that Tuesday game and was our hero two days later against Hannover.

His early goal set us on our way to a 4-1 victory at Villa Park and a Europa League semi-final!

hannover second leg.png

It’s another Scottish team who we’re up against, but this time we face Celtic in what will comfortably be the biggest two games of the save so far. If we do progress then it will be Bayer Leverkusen or Everton in the final.

celtic sf.png

Playing Newcastle 2 days after the Hannover second leg was too much for us as a 3-1 defeat pretty much confirmed we were out of the title race, even though we followed that up with a morale-boosting 5-0 win over rivals West Brom

newcastle 3-1.png
west brom 5-0.png

League leaders Man City were playing Arsenal at the same time as the West Brom game - victory for them would mean they’d go 5 points clear with 5 games to go.

city loss.png

But they actually lost!

So-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance.jpeg

So with 5 games to go, we’re still just 2 points behind Man City. As exciting as it is to be in the Europa League semi-final, we are very much in a Premier League title race still!

table apr33.png

We’re not favourites by any stretch, but there’s a chance…​

Have loved this all year mate....just wondering what your plans for FM23 might be?

Have loved this all year mate....just wondering what your plans for FM23 might be?

Cheers mate, was hoping to end it with a Premier League or Champions League win before FM23 but I'm probably going to run out of time (don't you hate it when real life gets in the way of FM!). Not too sure about FM23 save yet but will very likely be a long-term challenge with a team in Europe possibly Spain/Italy/Germany/France as I've actually never done a save in any of those countries - have you got anything planned?

Cheers mate, was hoping to end it with a Premier League or Champions League win before FM23 but I'm probably going to run out of time (don't you hate it when real life gets in the way of FM!). Not too sure about FM23 save yet but will very likely be a long-term challenge with a team in Europe possibly Spain/Italy/Germany/France as I've actually never done a save in any of those countries - have you got anything planned?
That was why I stopped my deportivo save as well since I won the league and champions league. Been enjoying a rest before a new save with fm23 and trying to decide who to go

That was why I stopped my deportivo save as well since I won the league and champions league. Been enjoying a rest before a new save with fm23 and trying to decide who to go

Yeah once you've won every trophy there's definitely less motivation to carry on! Every year a new FM comes out I tell myself I won't buy it because it's exactly the same as the last version, yet here I am planning on who to do an FM23 save with...

So with 5 Premier League games remaining, the title race was heading to the wire.

title race 32.png

Facing Manchester United in our last game could prove to be pivotal!

First up for us was 15th placed Leicester, who we absolutely battered. But Tammy Abraham’s 30th Premier League strike of the season was all we could manage as we drew 1-1.

leicester 1-1 2032.png
leicester stats.png

A United victory over City in the Manchester derby meant that they leapfrogged both of us to go top of the table with 4 games remaining.

table 34 2032.png

united city32.png

We were still very much in the running, but succumbed to defeat against Chelsea in our next match.

Screenshot 2022-10-18 at 21.15.21.png

In the end the relentless schedule caught up with us - Chelsea may be 5th but are still a quality side.

Just 3 days later we had possibly our most important game as Villa manager so far, away to Celtic in the Europa League semi-final first leg. We were clear favourites and firmly expected to win over two legs

celtic first leg.png
celtic first leg stats.png

So that first leg was a shock, a real shock.

I have never seen a more disgusting score in such an important game. We dominated, yet lost 4-1 - I honestly could not believe it.

count blessings.png

Yet the worse thing was that I still believed we could overturn a 3 goal deficit in the second leg. It truly is the hope that kills you…

celtic second leg.png
celtic second leg stats.png

27 shots and no goals, it’s almost laughable. We battered Celtic in both legs yet somehow lost 4-1 on aggregate.

el defeat.png

A routine win over Leeds made little difference - this incredible season has been undone by that Europa League result.

leeds 3-0 32.png

But something intriguing was brewing in the Premier League.

Clear favourites Man City were on a worser run of form than us.

city form32.png

So even though we’d been dropping points for fun, we weren’t completely out of the title race.

city table 36.png

City then lost again to Liverpool, whilst United could only muster a draw against Southampton.

city loss liverpool.png

united soton.png

So with just 2 games remaining (only 1 for City) we are 3 points behind Manchester United, who are firm favourites to win the league.

table 36 32.png

However…

We play United last game of the season and have a better goal difference than them.

united last game.png

So I make it that if we win our final 2 games then, somehow, we will be Premier League champions.

How we’re still in the race I’ll never know. This save is either going to have the perfect ending or a heartbreaking ending.

Please lads, do it for Hampus…​

Hoping you can finish on a high with that league title! In the process of downloading the beta as I write this. Have no idea where to start if I'm honest. Will you start in the bottom leagues of one of those European countries, or start with an already established side in the top tier?

Hoping you can finish on a high with that league title! In the process of downloading the beta as I write this. Have no idea where to start if I'm honest. Will you start in the bottom leagues of one of those European countries, or start with an already established side in the top tier?

I'm the same and still not sure what save to do, am thinking something like my Sligo or Berwick saves though (just in a European league instead) I'm probably going to give it until Dec/Jan before I get into it again as well just to see what the reaction is to the full release - looks like there aren't too many changes and still can't believe they've not sorted set pieces out!

Spending £20m on 34-year-old Tammy Abraham in the summer has been one of the best transfer decisions I’ve ever made.

He’s won countless matches on his own and scored another 2 goals in our penultimate game of the season, a 4-2 win over Watford.

watford 2-4.png

That win remarkably sent us top of the Premier League table for the first time since February.

Table 37 2032.png

Untied’s European and domestic cup runs meant that they were playing their game in hand midweek, in what was a very tricky encounter against Liverpool.

And sure enough, Liverpool did us a huge favour.

liverpool united.png

So with one Premier League game remaining, we were top of the table!

table preunited.png

It was winner takes it all at Villa Park, where even a draw would do for us if Man City did not win by more than 5 goals.

title showdown.png

You really couldn’t write it - this was the biggest game we could possibly have.

tussle.png

We had a full strength side including Aaron Ramsdale in goal and Trevor Chalobah at centre back.

tactic united.png

The nerves were all too much…

united 2-0.png

UNBELIVABLE!

clinch title.png

Tammy Abraham you absolute hero! His brace sealed the most unlikely of Premier League titles for Villa to give us the perfect ending.

abraham apr32.png

I still can’t believe we’ve done it.

final table 2032.png

What a way to end this story!​

What a way to end it with finally getting your hands on the premier league. Now looking forward to see what FM23 brings

GET IN THERE MY SON! Perfect way to finish the story! Again, top work my friend and I look forward to seeing where you go for FM23!

Aston Villa legend.

Thanks everyone I couldn't have asked for a better way to end the story! Will do a bit of a recap here before getting stuck into FM23 in December/January time