Yazan77

Reaction score
So, basically a lot of my FM saves I do the same thing, but I am not sure if it is right...
At the start of the save, I pick my team (mostly a top 8 with good budget/payroll).
I sell most of the old players and purchase new young ones, and play them as starters.
My question is, is it right to have a very young squad or is there a need for the few old players to keep the squad competitive?

I'm very much the same, I like to have a young squad playing. However, I tend to keep a couple of players about, if only for the bigger matches. Older players are also incredibly useful for tutoring, so that's their main benefit from my view. My current average age in my squad is 23, that's pretty much been the norm the entirety of my Liverpool save.

Good. Just go buy 2-3 old players with high mental stats to develop your young team.

A young squad can be useful in the long run. Buy cheap, sell for lots of money. They're more inconsistent (usually) than older players, so best would be to have a mix of both.

In my Arsenal saves, I usually keep a mainly young squad (usually youngest in division) with a bit of family silver ie. long serving players (In 2022 last year I still had Vermaelen), and one or two veterans around as well (last year with Arsenal I bought Tiote when he was 35 and had Henry as well at some point.

My Ajax squad average age is 21 and I just won the champions league. However most players are world class regens.

In general it is good. You should try and have at least one or two experienced players in the spine of your team.