Season 2
Ezra

I sat in their boardroom with the contract in front of me and my dad and Mr. Gray on either side of me. I couldn’t quite believe it as I played with the pen, tapping it on the desk. A year ago I was a nobody without a club. Today I was still a nobody – just less of one with a new club wanting me to sign their contract so I could finalize joining them. It was surreal.

“Are you okay Ezra?” my dad asked me as he watched me toy with the pen instead of signing my name on the line. The officials of this new club had left to room to us to discuss things and see if we were satisfied with the contract on offer.

“Huh? Yeah…I’m okay,” I said bringing myself back to the room.

“So, are you ready to sign it?” he asked as he smiled. You could tell he was proud. Fresh off my first season as a professional player, I was already snapped up by a “big boy from the Premier League” as dad called them.

“The contract is good taking everything into consideration Ezra. Now it’s all about whether you want to play here in the future. The idea now from them is to seal the deal and then loan you out for more first team opportunities this season,” Mr. Gray explained.

“Yes. Yes, I’m ready to sign it. This is a big opportunity and I like their style of play here and it’s even better knowing they are in the Premier League so my chance may come eventually. I don’t mind being loaned out either,” I said as I got my head into things. I quickly jotted my name on the line. It was now official.

OFFICIAL

SWANSEA F.C sign attacking prospect Ezra Morrison from Port Vale for 850,000. It was announced that the soon-to-be 18 year old striker will be loaned immediately to Newport County A.F.C in the Skybet League 2 for the season ahead.

View attachment 231790

--
It was official, not only was I now on loan at Newport County and living in Wales - I was alone. Mom and dad came to my unveiling at Newport who presented me with the #10 kit. I took some pictures and met some fans in a very small ceremony and then went to the apartment I had rented for my stay here. I was 3 hours away from home give or take and an hour away from my parent club, Swansea. Mom tearfully left for home earlier today on the back of a promise that I would call her as often as I could.

I sat in the apartment reflecting on my unveiling here. I was almost like a star for these fans at only 18. They talked up my goal-scoring abilities that I displayed in the U-18 leagues as well as well as my few appearances in the Port Vale senior team. I knew the pressure was on here to score goals right from the start.

I was ready.

View attachment 231788

Season 2
Matteo

The summer transfer window had arrived and I was at home waiting from a call from the boss or my U-21 manager about where I was going for loan. They told me they would finalize it today. The options as it seemed so far were Northampton Town and Crewe. I didn’t mind either and I just wanted to get some first team action this season.

View attachment 231745

I was at my mom’s house with Cesare waiting on the call. This was largely because we had no food again so we decided this was the best place to be. She didn’t mind at all as she constantly told us we could move back in with her. Cesare, who moved here as soon as he finished high school 4 years ago and a year early, thought it was a good idea but it was my idea to move out initially. So there was no way I was going to go back on that.

Suddenly, the phone rang. I watched it vibrate on the table with my U-21 coach’s name on it. Cesare and mom made their way from the kitchen and stood by the door looking at me. “Answer it,” mom said quietly. I took a deep breath and answered. After a brief talk, I concluded with “Okay, thank you sir. I’ll make my way there tonight.”

I sat back on the chair and ran my hands through my hair and smiled. “Well, looks like we’re going to Carlisle for the next 5 months.”

“Carlisle United? That’s not bad,” Cesare responded. “Only 5 months?”

“Yeah. They registered their interest late and gave assurances that I’d get plenty of appearances so the boss thought it was best for me. Know anything about them?” I asked.

“They’re in the Vanarama Conference. I know that much,” mom answered. “Carlisle is like 6 hours away isn’t it? I won’t be seeing my baby for 5 whole months?” she continued in her trademark sad tone.

I smiled, “Geez mom, they’ll fly by. Knowing you you’ll fly down too to make sure I have food in my fridge. I’m going to go get packing. I still have a few stuff here don’t I?”

“Well, you never unpacked your room when you left, so I’d assume so,” she responded.

“I’ll call Mr. Allen to get in touch with Carlisle. We need to find you somewhere to live for those 5 months,” Cesare said shifting into his role as one of my agents.

I then walked away leaving the room to get my stuff together.

“He seems okay with this, doesn’t he?” mom asked Cesare.

“He does. Surprising isn’t it? Just seeing him take a decision without a fight,” Cesare responded smiling looking in the direction I walked.

“Very surprising. He’s matured so much over the last year. I think his tutoring with that senior player at Palace really changed his attitude. He’s much more patient with making it now. Ready to take whatever chance he gets.”

“That’s true and don’t worry Aunt Emily. I’ll watch over him every step of the way. I’ll be your eyes no matter where he goes,” Cesare said convincingly. She smiled as we all eagerly waited for this next chapter of my career.

View attachment 231744

Chapter 8
Ezra – Drought

I sat alone in my apartment with the tv on sports news. I laid on the couch and sighed as the emptiness in my apartment was maddening. I didn’t want to admit it but I missed my mom and dad. I wasn’t used to being alone for this long without any human interaction. I supposed I could call them but I didn’t want to give in to that urge. Dad encouraged me that this was a moment to show I was a man. To show that the Morrison curse was something that could be overcome and that I wouldn’t end running back home to prove that Morrison’s just never left Stoke-on-Trent.

It didn’t help much given that there was a report on tv just now that the boss back at Swansea was under pressure because the results weren’t ideal. It certainly didn’t help that I felt so pressured at Newport. My first game was against Morecombe that didn’t go so well. My next game wasn’t much of a marked improvement either and there was already a report about how I was finding it hard to settle into the team. They even said I was going through a goal drought. After just 2 games? Come on. I’m only 18. That was no excuse though. “Mind of a 30 year old.” Dad’s words were ringing in my ear. These fans wanted an impact, I needed to give it to them.

View attachment 231286

That didn’t change the fact that I was bored whenever training though. Suddenly, my phone rang. I quickly picked it up because any conversation would do me good now.

“Hello?” I answered quickly.

“**** man. Were you happy to see my name on the screen? You answered quiiick,” a very familiar voice said.

“Vince!” I shouted, “Hey buddy. What’s up?”

“So you were happy,” he chuckled. “I’m well. Checking on you to see how you’re doing in Wales.”

“It’s...uh...okay. Still trying to settle in.”

“Doesn’t sound so okay. Miss your mom don’t you?” he mocked.

“Naah. I got this. It’s just kinda boring being on my own, that’s all,” I said trying to hide the fact that I did indeed miss her.

“Uhuh…sure. How about I come stay with you?” His question surprised me.

“Seriously? You would? What about work?” I wasn’t going to turn this down. Having Vince around here would be great.

“Yeah buddy. I actually already have my flight booked because you couldn’t tell me no. I told you that this job provides me freedom. I don’t need to physically be here to get work done. So I’ll work from there,” he explained.

I was silently cheering. Things would be so much better having someone I know here.

“Well alright then, I’ll try to get this place tidy for your arrival!”

“No no, that’s okay. Do you even have space for me? I could stay at a hotel or something.”

“Nonsense! I have an extra bedroom here just in case mom and dad visits. You can have that,” I reassured him.

“Fine, fine. See you soon then Ezra!”

Chapter 7
Matteo – Carlisle

I was settled in at the club. They welcomed me well and the city wasn’t bad. Cesare and I found a decent place to stay for the time we would be here. Mom came by to see me play in a couple games as well and I had to convince her that she could go back to London because we would be fine.

On the field I was finally getting chances starting 8 games and scoring my first goal. Still, I wasn’t satisfied. Playing in the Vanarama Conference didn’t have the same buzz as the Premier League but if this is something I needed to do, then I was going to get it done.

View attachment 231284
Carlisle were keen on helping me too and not only did they have me playing in the senior games but they still made me play U-18 games. I had made 6 starts in those with another goal and three assists. So really I wasn’t sitting around as much as I did last season.

View attachment 231283
I just wondered what it would be like once the 5 months were up here.

So I didn't load the Vanarama Conference so Matteo's updates will be somewhat condensed when it comes to league information.

Chapter 9
Ezra – Can’t Stop Me Now

I stood there anxiously waiting for it to be over. I still wasn’t used to giving interviews but I couldn’t talk my way out of this one as the manager insisted I do it with all the adoration I had been getting from fans. Since Vince’s arrival I really had an upturn in form and was firing on all cylinders. I had 6 goals including a double against Oxford. Though the team wasn’t doing very well overall - we were 22nd in the league - I was in good form and was determined to guide the team out of the slump and get the pressure off the manager. My most memorable goal was probably a cheeky chip over Oxford’s goalkeeper. I was named in the Team of the Week following that.

Today, I was being awarded a step further as I pushed my performances up a notch. After a double and an assist in a game against Swindon along with 2 other strikes, I had 10 goals in 19 starts and was second in the scoring standings for League 2. I was now being crowned the Sky Bet League 2 Player of the Month.

View attachment 230426

“Hi Ezra, thanks for agreeing to this interview,” the journalist conducting the interview said greeting me. She agreed that it would be short and kept to the point with just a couple pictures of me with the trophy taken.

“No problem. Are…are we ready?” I said nervously.

“Yep. Just about. Don’t be nervous,” she said smiling warmly. “I’ll ask the first question. How do you feel about winning the award?”

I smiled back and ran my hand through my hair, “Uh...well. It’s an honor really and one for the fans. They’ve made me feel right at home and...umm...continued to support me from the beginning right up...right up, until now.”

View attachment 230425

“Great and with a great goal return of 4 goals in 5 games this month, do you think you can keep this form up?” she asked.

“Well…yes. That’s certainly the plan. As long as my goals can help the team win games and advance in the standings, I’ll continue to try getting them,” I said confidently.

“Alright good. That’s perfect Ezra. Thank you and now time for the pictures,” she said.

I sighed and smiled. It was a good feeling to be recognized like this and this was only the beginning as I still harbored dreams of winning the Balon d’Or one day.

Chapter 8
Matteo - Experience

“Are you sure you packed up all your ****?” I asked Cesare as I loaded the car.

“Yeah…yeah,” he mumbled then yawned. “Why are we leaving so early again?” he asked as he sat down in the car.

“Because I wanna go to the club and find out what the plans for me were for the rest of the season,” I responded as I pulled out of the parking lot.

My time at Carlisle was up and it was time to head back to Palace. I had a fairly good time here making 17 appearances in all and scoring 3 goals. Two of those appearances came in the F.A Cup though and I was very pleased about that experience.

View attachment 230423View attachment 230424

It felt good getting these games under my belt and I was eager for more so I wanted to get to Palace as soon as I could and see what my future would have in store now. To be honest, I missed mom’s cooking as well. Cesare and I were trying our best in the kitchen but after two small fires and a lot of thrown out food that went bad because we forgot to put them up, we realized why our fridge was always empty.

"I like the enthusiasm Matteo. I just wish you would have it at respectable times. We’re not that far a drive from home. I don’t see why we’re leaving at 3 in the morning,” Cesare said as he reclined his seat and put his feet up on the dash.
“We’ll get there faster. Take your feet down!” I yelled slapping his feet, “This car can barely go on its own. Don’t add any more pressure to it.”

“Are you calling me fat?” he said as he glared at me.

“No, I’m saying you have giant feet. Move them,” I snapped.

“We wear the same size cazzo,” he mumbled as he finally took them down.

“Yeah, but I play football. They work out for me,”

Shut up. Besides when are you going to replace this car anyway?” he asked as he ran his finger off dash.

“When you land me my next big contract buddy!” I chuckled.

Cesare rolled his eyes and settled in his seat and closed his eyes. I thought about my career again and how I desperately wanted to make it big. I’d find out if Crystal Palace was going to be the place to help me when I went back.

Chapter 10
Ezra– Good Year

It was the off season and I wasted no time in going back home to my parents. Vince, who had spent the entire second half of my season with Newport with me, had gone back to the US for the summer. So, the decision to come home and see my parents and other familiar faces around town was an easy one to make. I intend to surprise them but they ended up surprising me with Vince telling them when I had planned to drive down.

As soon as I opened the door there were cheers and hugs. “There’s our top scorer!” dad yelled immediately. I finished the season at Newport County as the Skybet League Two top scorer with 20 goals.

View attachment 229397View attachment 229396

The team finished in 9th place and the manager Jimmy Dack told me Newport would welcome me back with open arms at any time. I had a good year. It was even recognized by fellow players who nominated me in the Player’s Team of the Year.

View attachment 229395View attachment 229398
--
I sat on our lawn out front and just laid on the grass. It was a nice day and I forgot what it felt like to just relax. Though every now and again someone would walk by and stop by for a chat. My popularity has increased somewhat given the amount of articles that were written about me after my transfer and exploits on loan last season. A few people were expecting big things of me.

As I laid out there, my phone rang and I slid it out my pocket and answered.

“Hello?”

“Hey Ezra! How are you lad?”

“I’m well. I know this voice, who is this if you don’t mind my asking?”

Forgotten me already lad? It’s your old gaffer Jimmy Dack, from Newport County,” he said. Now I recognized the voice.
“Ohhh. I knew I knew the voice! Hey boss! What can I do for you?” It was strange that he was calling me so I was curious.

“How do you feel about coming back to Newport County for the new season on loan?”

His question surprised me. I didn’t think about that possibility.

“Uh…well, I wouldn’t mind at all. I had a great time there last season,” I answered. Newport had really given me a chance last season and I wouldn’t turn down another one if Swansea weren’t ready to give me first team chances.

“Well lovely lad because Swansea has already agreed to it and said it was your decision now. It’ll be good to have you back.”

“It’ll be good to be back! When does training start? I’m currently back home with family.”

“Don’t worry lad. You still have a couple weeks of break left. I’ll get in touch with your agent to finalize everything. See you soon.”

My challenge for myself now, was to replicate my form last season and beat my 20 goal tally.

Sorry for delay on this. Got a big exam later so I've been focusing on that. Will dish out some updates as soon as I'm done with the exam and catch up on sleep I've missed. Til later, thanks for following!

Last edited:
Still a cracking read, Nice to see Ezra seems to be excelling already! Fingers crossed for more of the same from him!

This is brilliant, loving it mate. Keep it up.

Chapter 9
Matteo – Pain

“Goddammit!” I yelled as I hobbled to the couch.

“Come on now Matteo. Get off that ankle quickly,” Cesare said as he closed the door behind us.

View attachment 227974

I once again injured myself in training today by twisting my ankle after taking a sharp turn. After the physios looked at it extensively they confirmed I’d need a month to recover before I could start training again. Since coming back to Crystal Palace I haven’t made much appearances with only 2 substitute appearances for the U-21 squad and 2 starts for the U-18. Truth be told, my patience was wearing thin again with the lack of game time but I kept my mouth shut. Especially since I was once again put on the loan list and now eagerly awaited the summer transfer window to come.

View attachment 227973

“What the **** do you think I’m doing? Dancing the salsa?” I snapped as I sat down.

“Heavens no. I’ve seen you dance with two good ankles. I can’t imagine what one would be like,” he teased laughing.

“Ha-ha-ha. ****,” I mumbled. “You know, it wouldn’t be so bad if I was picking these injuries up while playing games but no, I get them sitting on my *** to be out for weeks to sit on my *** some more. When will it end man?” I complained.

“You’re young Matteo. You have time to get your chances. I’m sure something big will happen for you in the summer,” he tried comforting me.

“It better. I’m running out of 'youth' in football. I’m 19 soon. It’s time for first team appearances!”

“God you’re even grumpier when injured. How long did they say you were going to be out for?”

“A month sweetheart. You have a month of this coming up! You and Jamie need to get me games and I’ll complain about it for the entire month I’m out!” I continued complaining.

There wasn’t a response.

“Cesare?” I looked back curious. “****** went to his room and closed the door.”

Chapter 10
Matteo – Sea Breeze

“Feel that amico?” Cesare said as he leaned against the rails while a cool breeze swept by.

We were in Cleethorpes, spending our day by the pier. We decided that we’d try to actually enjoy this loan move’s location after we spent most of our time in Carlisle indoors trying to survive living away from my mom.

View attachment 227953

After Crystal Palace only managed to finish fourth in the Championship and went on to lose their playoff game they decided to change managers again. I went through the same routine of hearing from a new manager that I had potential and needed first team games and then got shipped out on another 5 month loan. This time to Grimsby Town. I didn’t make any fuss about it and with only a year left on my contract decided that I’d just go along with their wishes and hope for big changes come next summer.

View attachment 227946

My time in Grimsby wasn’t going bad either. I had already started 7 games and done fairly well in them. I was enjoying my time here.

View attachment 227945

“Yeah, I do. This is a nice place to be buddy. Are there any other clubs close by? Bigger ones?” I asked Cesare as I looked out at the waves.

Scunthorphe is probably the closest one that’s bigger than Grimsby. Don’t think there are any bigger ones,” he said as he turned around to watch a group of girls walk by.

I turned around with him leaning on the rails, “Hmm. No, I may just come back here permanently,” I chuckled.

“Ha. Well, we’ll know in a year. Hopefully we can finally settle down instead of all these little moves and maybe, have some fun. Socially. Without having to worry about leaving in a few months after,” Cesare said as he started to walk off. “Let’s get some lunch buddy.”

“Read my mind!”

Chapter 11
Ezra – Here we go again

I was back in Newport and fortunately in the same apartment as last time. After hearing that I was coming to play for Newport County again, they happily rented it to me. It wasn’t so bad this time around either as I had made a few friends around as well as being closer to the lads on the team. Unfortunately this season started like last season and I was again on a goal drought. The manager knew I would come eventually come good though, or so he thought, so I was confident in knowing he had confidence in me.

I got in and quickly found a bed to stretch my leg out. Fresh off vowing to end my goal drought,

View attachment 227300

I strained my thigh in training and it would need 3 weeks to heal.

View attachment 227299

My second time here in Newport hasn’t started so well at all but I wasn’t about to let this bother me much. I took my phone out and saw 2 messages. One from dad and one from Vince.

Dad:

Jimmy sent me a message about your injury son. I’m sorry I can’t be there yet because of this case I’m working on but keep your head up. You’re in good hands with a manager that takes such keen interest in your development. I’ll call you when I can and your mother who is glaring at me now says Hi. Make sure you call her or she’ll have my ****.

I smiled. It was true. Jimmy Dack has been plenty of support and an important figure in my career especially since my parents couldn’t come down to Wales in recent times because of work. I opened the next message:

Vince:

Buddy! How r u doing man? I spoke to ur parents. Ur mom says you are havin’ a harder time than last year at ya club. Is it becuz I’m not there? I’m sorry man. I’m trying to close a deal that will see the business open up an office right in The Netherlands. It would mean I cud see you more. So hopefully it comes to that. Anyway, keep ya head up and hit me back when you can.

The idea of Vince coming back to Europe was a great one and I hoped it came true. It also reminded me that after all these years – I still didn’t know what the business was about and needed to find out. It also showed me that everyone was close to me was focused on their careers and I needed to do the same. I wasn’t a boy by any means and needed to get my head down and prove I could hold my own without someone having to hold my hand constantly.

Chapter 12
Ezra - Heat

I sat on my couch and looked at the tv in shock. I couldn’t quite believe it. The headline remained on the screen.
“Newport County sack Jimmy Dack.”

This confirmed that this wasn’t the thrilling experience of last season but instead the polar opposite. The club were doing poorly and the fingers were being pointed at everyone including myself. Newport County and football legend John Aldridge even openly questioned my performances and questioned whether I deserved to remain in the squad. I was gutted. When a striking legend like Aldridge makes those comments and the only thing you have to defend yourself with is 1 goal in 13 appearances, it isn’t good.

View attachment 226355

I had been keeping a distance from everyone recently since then and now with Jimmy Dack gone I’m sure I’ll have more calls and messages to ignore soon. Dad and Vince even showed up unexpectedly once and took me out for a drive to clear my head but nothing was working really.

I grabbed my hoodie and went out for a run. It was cold and dark but I needed to get out of the house for a bit.

View attachment 226350

“I’m Ezra Morrison. Ezra. Morrison. They’ll sing my name from the stands,” I kept repeating to myself as I started to run faster.

“Ezra. Morrison. I’m going to be better than all of them. I have to be!” I shouted as I broke out in full sprint. The sprint was short lived when I suddenly bumped into someone knocking us both over.

“Oh ****** ****. I’m so so sorry,” I said as I got up and brushed myself off.

“No no. It’s my fault. I heard a shout and stopped to look.”

I finally got a clear view of who I had mowed over. It was a girl. Her hair was in a bun which I imagined was neat before I ran into her and she was decked out in sweats.

“Oh my bad. I just got into it a bit. Again I am s-”

“You’re Ezra Morrison!” she shouted cutting me off.

I felt slightly embarrassed that she recognized me. I’m still not used to that. “Yea...yea I am.”

“So who are you?” she said as she fixed her bun.

“Wait. What?”

“Who are you lad? You were shouting you name. Who are you gonna be better than?”

She didn’t recognize me after all. Now I just felt embarrassed that she heard me shouting my own name.

“Ha…” I ran my hands through my hair. “Oh…no one. Just…can we pretend you didn’t hear that?” I chuckled.

“Aww. Embarrassed little football player are ya?” she said smiling.

I thought she didn’t know me. I’m so confused! I looked at her curiously trying to get a read on her.

“So…you do know?”

“Know what?” she asked as she started to jog in a spot. “Come on now. Let’s keep running.”

I was reluctant at first because my knock to her looked like it had done more damage than I first feared but I obliged.

“You’re so fun to mess with. The look on your face,” she laughed. “I know who you are. You play for the team. Didn’t that one guy call you out on your poor performances recently?”

Goddammit. She does know me and she knows that too. I felt embarrassed again.

I laughed it off nervously. “So, you’re a supporter then?”

“Not really, no. Not big on sports. I do read a lot though, including local news so that’s how I know you. Never seen you play.”

That’s not a bad thing if this season is anything to go by.

About 20 minutes of running went by until she started jogging in a spot.
“Well, this is where I leave you footballer. Can you find your way home from here?”

“Oh…uh…I think so. We’ve been running in a straight line from what I can tell so I should be able to find my way back.”

“Good. My house is this way. This was fun. Lovely time meeting you…” she said before yelling, “Ezra. Morrison!"
"Maybe one day I’ll sing it,”
she mocked and giggled before running off.

I stood there still very much confused but with my mind much clearer after having a good time running with her. Then it hit me – I didn’t get her name.

Dammit.

Chapter 11
Matteo – Crystal Clear

“Find me a new club!” I yelled as I threw my training bag to the floor and walked over to our fridge. Opening it furiously and taking out a bottle of water.

Oy…merda. What’s going on amico??” Cesare said jumping from the couch and coming to the kitchen.

“Did you see Palace’s game today?” I asked as I smashed the bottle to the counter. “Another kid got a debut today! That’s the second one in a couple weeks and the third one this month yet I still haven’t gotten a chance and I’d like to think I’m better than them both!” I ranted.

View attachment 224565View attachment 224564View attachment 224563

“Oh man. I’m sorry buddy. What was the depth in the squad like? Don’t those 2 play different positions? Maybe that’s why. Competition is weaker there.”

“Don’t bullshit me Cesare. They could very well afford me a chance if they wanted to. No one has even mentioned anything about my contract. I want out! Find me a club with Allen as soon as you can,” I said before I stormed into our living room.

He followed me, “Alright alright. I’ll get it done. Just give me some time and try not to break anything.”

Hey guys, quick update this one. I've been having some technical issues with E
zra's side of the story. In summary, I have about 20 chapters of his to rewrite after I lost them. Not to worry though, in a couple days I should be able to bring the next update related to him. Thanks!​