Chapter 15
Matteo - Misery's Warm Up

My time in Austria was proving to be difficult. I got 4 starts under my belt but that was it. I’ve had injury problem after injury problem and now I was out with a sports hernia. I wasn’t enjoying it at all and had already regretted the decision to accept a loan move here.

View attachment 219694

So far I’ve yet to hear from my father and despite Cesare’s insistence that I reach out to him, I’ve proved stubborn and rejected his idea. Instead I was very content in staying in our flat and keeping an eye on what’s going on in the Premier League.

I just had a couple months left before I was back in London moaning about my lack of chances with Palace anyway so being injured here was like a warm up to going back home. It was sad that this was now my outlook on my football career but I couldn’t help it. I wasn’t enjoying myself at all.

Chapter 16
Matteo – No Staying In Vegas

“You know, I’m proud of you Matteo. I have to admit,” Cesare said as we settled into our seats on the plane. I rested my head back and looked out the window, “Yeah? Why?”“It was a tough year for you but you didn’t complain once. You just took it in stride. That’s growth brother.”I sighed. In truth I was complaining, just not out loud. I only made 15 appearances all season and 10 of those were from the bench. Injuries really interrupted my season. SC Austria Lustenau didn’t do badly though as they finished in 5th. Back in London, Palace finished in 14th.

View attachment 219691
View attachment 219693
View attachment 219692

“I guess,” I shrugged. “It could have been worse. That’s the only way I can look at it really.”

“It could have been. You could have been that bloke at Swansea. The one that went on a rant in Vegas. He had a terrible year really. Surprised Swansea renewed his contract. They really gave him the cold shoulder this season. Couldn’t help his development,”
Cesare said trying to cheer me up. Though it was through someone else’s struggle.

“Oh yeah. I heard about that. Yeaaa..no Vegas for us!”
I chuckled.

Really all I wanted to do for this holiday was spend time with mom and get myself prepared for the season ahead. I doubt I’d get my chance at Palace after the year I just had but I was ready to take whatever chance that did come my way.

Could a meet between the 2 be on the cards? Would be interesting to see what happened if they both ended up at the seam team!

Chapter 18
E
zra - Good Things To Come

The car ride back was quiet and tense. It had never been like this between us and I have never felt afraid to talk to him about anything. He didn’t even look my way, instead keeping his eyes on the road nodding his head along to the radio.

I swallowed and finally decided to break the silence, “Dad?”

“Mhm?” he sounded, keeping his attention to where it was.

“I just...I just wanted to say thank you. For helping with the contract renewal. I also want to say...I’m sorry. For everything. It’s been a difficult year through no one’s fault but my own and I understand that,” I said slowly. Trying to get my words out without jumbling them up.

He swiped his thumb over his nose and scratched above his eyebrow. Then sighing, he spoke “I’ve missed you boy.”

I was hit hard with his words and my eyes teared up a bit but I held it back because the truth was:
“I missed you too dad.”

For the remainder of the ride we laughed and shared stories of the months we had missed together through our silence. We talked about some of the cases he worked, as well as how many times his friends back home would poke fun at him about my Vegas trip. We talked about mom always finding a way to guilt us into doing things. We talked about Vince’s matureness over the years and how proud we were of him with him doing well with his family’s business. The last thing we talked about was my season.

“This coming season is a big one for you Ezra. You have to make up for the time lost this season. Having only 7 first team appearances in the league...5 coming off the bench isn’t good enough. Especially compared to what you were doing in Newport.”

View attachment 219567

“I know. I asked Mr. Gray to look into seeing if they would want me on loan against this season. I want to go back and make it up to them. I want to score goals again. Important ones. I didn’t score any in the first team this season.”

“Exactly. In the long run of these, we’re going to have to see if Swansea is beneficial for you too. Getting the new contract for you was just for security but it was only a two year contract. We need to see what their plans for you are,” he said. I genuinely missed how he focused on my career. He spoke with such passion about it.

“That’s true and it doesn’t look like they’re going back to the Premier League any time soon. Only finished in 16th this season. My new goal is to make it to the Premier League. I’ve stopped thinking about Balon d’Or’s and national call ups. I just want to play in the top flight now,” I said in similar passion.

View attachment 219566

“That’s my boy. It’ll happen. Just keep your head down this season and only good things can come.”

Chapter 19
E
zra - A Rush To The Head

View attachment 219564

“So they’re calling you the 'adopted son' in the paper’s huh?” Vince said as he throw down the print on the table.

“Yeah. They’ve been so accepting of me since I came back. It’s amazing,” I said as I adjusted slightly on the couch.

“I know. They gave you the wonderful welcome gift of a concussion too!” Vince said laughing.

View attachment 219565

He had been poking fun of the fact that it only took a week for me to get back into training with the Newport lads for me to get ruled out because of a concussion I picked up in training. I didn’t care though. Coming to Newport County for the third time in my career was the best thing that could happen after last season.

I made sure in earnest to avoid any bad publicity during my holiday as well. I kept my head down and out of the media eye by staying in Stoke with my family and running training drills with my dad to make sure I’d be at my best for the new season. It had only taken just about 10 days after returning to training with Swansea when I was told Newport County wanted me on loan again. I was more than happy to go with their wishes and reserved special thanks to Mr. Gray for making it happen.

The scenes at Newport had changed a little. The got relegated to the Vanerama Conference last season and their was a new manager in charge. Most of my old teammates stuck around though and there was a sense of optimism around so that was positive. I also wasn’t staying at the house I usually stayed at when I came here either as it had been bought by someone else. Instead Vince had rented out a flat for us to stay at for the remainder of the season. He wouldn’t stay for long periods but he would visit more often so that was good for me.

“So how are you feeling? Ready to get back out there?” he asked sitting down on the sofa across from me.

“Definitely. The physios says just a couple more days and I can get the all clear to start training again. Right on time for season kick-off.”

“Lovely. You gotta have a good year this year Ezra. Make big things happen out on that pitch!” he encouraged.

I thumbed up in agreement as I imagined scoring again and getting the chance to run to the touchline to point on my name on the back.

“Oh and let’s hope you find the mystery girl this time around too. Score both on and off the field will ya lad?” He could hardly hold back his grin.

“You still don’t believe she’s real do you!?”

Last edited:
Class, his dad saying he missed him would bring a tear to a glass eye!

Get some more updates on mate, loving the Ezra stuff :)

Chapter 20
E
zra - Nostalgia

I sat on the bench and kept my leg outstretched. The pain wasn’t so bad currently but it certainly wasn’t healed yet. Tearing my hamstring in training so early in the season was just my luck but I wasn’t too downbeat. I had a run of 10 games before that, starting 9 and scored twice and laid on one other. Already I was doing much better than I did last season so I felt okay. This physios say I’ll need about 6 weeks to recover and then I could be back out so I was waiting for that.

View attachment 219182

View attachment 219181

It was a nice evening to be out. There was a quiet stillness around with the occasional jogger that passed and waved hello. In truth, I probably shouldn’t be anywhere but home right now keeping my leg elevated but I didn’t want to be indoors.

As the evening went on and the waves continued, I decided it was time for me to hobble on home. I grabbed my crutches and walked the trail home thinking about how everything had played out at Newport. I eagerly wanted to help them get promoted back to League 2. They deserved better in my opinion.

View attachment 219180

As I continued my walk I noticed someone on a bench peacefully reading. It reminded me of the times my mom would take me to the park and read to me.

View attachment 219179

It’s probably why I liked going for these walks so much these days. I smiled at the stranger and nodded hello as I continued my slow tread back home with my crutches.

“Why hello Ezra Morrison,” the stranger said in response to my hello.

I stopped and turned to see who it was that knew my name.

“Don’t tell me you’ve forgotten me already,” the stranger said again, brushing hair from their face so I could see them clearly.

I couldn’t quite believe it.

Still a great read mate, really loving it!

Congrats on the nomination for writing in the Story of the year awards too! Well deserved.

Still a great read mate, really loving it!

Congrats on the nomination for writing in the Story of the year awards too! Well deserved.

Thanks man and I saw that. It's very much appreciated and thanks to all those who made that possible!

Just read this story this afternoon and I've loved it. I'll be doing a more in depth BAP story in FM16 to the one I'm doing now at the end of this FM, and the way this is written has given me so much inspiration to do a similar style for my FM16 BAP story.

Once again, ains loved this and I'll definitely keep following it. I'm gonna go back and read that story of yours you linked on the first page now :D

Just read this story this afternoon and I've loved it. I'll be doing a more in depth BAP story in FM16 to the one I'm doing now at the end of this FM, and the way this is written has given me so much inspiration to do a similar style for my FM16 BAP story.

Once again, ains loved this and I'll definitely keep following it. I'm gonna go back and read that story of yours you linked on the first page now :D

I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Much appreciated. Eager to see what you'll do in FM, sure it will be great!

Chapter 17
Matteo - How About Some Success?

I stood looking at the sign outside the stadium.

View attachment 218866
View attachment 218865

This is my 4th loan club in 4 years. Grimsby Town was and still is the best time I’ve had out on loan but I’m 21 now and I need to look forward and try to do better than that. The management here said all the right things and told me I would play an important role for the season. It was an easy choice to come here this season. I needed to do more than last season and I hoped that injuries would seriously not prove a problem.

With Stevenage only being a little over an hour and a half away from home, my mom was sure this was the right move. She dreaded that I was in Austria last season. Even if I did probably play a role in me getting to appear for the youth level national team, she didn’t care. Cesare, as always, came along with me.

Before agreeing to come here, I tried telling him that he didn’t have to follow me to every club I went. That even though he was one of my agents, he could go on and have another life at the same time but he refused the idea. He told me all the traveling with me could be the foundation of a good book one day. I knew Cesare though, he wouldn’t be sitting down to write any book. He earned his income by making smart investments and giving others business advice. In truth, he could play a bigger role in football in a boardroom than he was doing right now as my agent but such was his loyalty.

Now I just needed to repay that with some degree of success and Stevenage had presented me with that opportunity this season.

Chapter 18
Matteo – Apples

“This is what I’ve been waiting for mom.. I’ve finally been getting a chance.”

“I’m proud of you Matty! I saw your last game where you scored. You don’t need to look so upset in your celebrations though. Show your smile!”

I chuckled. It’s been some time since I’ve gotten to call her so I’m glad we could have this talk. “I’ll dedicate my next goal to you. Look out for it. I’ll have a huge smile too,” I said beaming remembering my last goal.

“Aww, that’s sweet of you Matty.”Just look for the kiss to my wrist mom. I’ll have your name tattooed there by my next game.”

“A tattoo? I was wondering how long it would take for you to get one. At least it’ll be of my name first and not some girl you meet,”
she giggled.

You’re always first in my life mom. Always,” I said lovingly. I was also surprised at her ease at the thought of me getting a tattoo. Though I wasn’t too surprised. She got a few when she was younger.

“And I’m second! Hi Aunt El!” Cesare yelled as he closed the door behind him and headed to the kitchen.

“Hello little Cesare!” she yelled for him to hear.

“Ahh! He won’t hear you mom. The phone’s not on speaker.”

“Well, tell him hello for me. I hope you two are doing well and eating properly!”

“We are. We are. In fact, I think he just brought dinner so I’ll call you again this weekend okay?”

“Okay Matty. Keep making me proud! I’ll be looking out for that goal for me! I love you.”

“I love you too mom,” I whispered so Cesare wouldn’t end up yelling again.

“I love you tooo!” he yelled. I couldn’t prevent it.

“I know. I know. I’ll tell him you love him,” I quickly said on the phone and hung up before my mother yelled in my ear again.I walked around to the kitchen to see Cesare unpacking grocery.

“Housewife looks good on you,” I said poking fun at him.

“Cazzo…” he mumbled after mimicking laughter.

“What are we having for dinner tonight?” I asked. I was beginning to feel hungry.

“Not sure, we could probably eat out again. We need to talk about your contract winding down at Palace.”

I paused for a moment and thought about what I wanted for dinner before I grabbed an apple from a basket.

View attachment 218860

“Oh yeah, that’s happening again huh?” I said before biting in my apple. “I’m not too fussed about it. I’m finally playing some games regularly and feel like I’m sort of developing.”

View attachment 218861

“Sort of? You are. You’ve already played more games and scored more goals than you have in any other season you’ve spent on loan. And now with 4 assists, you’re 2 away from your best that you achieved at Grimsby. That’s impressive brother!”

View attachment 218862

“I suppose you’re right,” I said with a mouth full of apple. “I need to help the club to climb up the table though. We’re 22nd. That’s woeful.”

View attachment 218863

“Try swallowing!” Cesare yelled as he watched me with my apple.

“Gee. Take me out to dinner first. Is this what you say to all your girls?” I laughed.

“Don't choke,” he mumbled rolling his eyes but that only made me laugh louder. “Basta! Sei impossibile!”

Has Ezra found this girl of his? Pleased to see them playing a bit of football too!

Chapter 21
Ezra - Fluttering

View attachment 217248

My eyes fluttered open and adjusted to the light. I stretched, yawned and groaned in my usual fashion.

“Morning sunshine,” a voice said.

I rolled over and looked in the direction it came from. I rubbed my eyes to see a clearer view as it was all still foggy for me. “Vince…?”

“Hey buddy. Slept well?” he said. He was sitting across the room reading a newspaper. “Your club’s climbing up the table now. Nice. Though, it is surprising not seeing your face in today’s issue.”

View attachment 217247

“What time is it?” I asked ignoring everything else.

“Around 8 I think.”

“****. Why are you here so early?” I yawned, lifting myself to the edge of the bed to sit.

“I came in last night actually but you were passed out when I came. Had another night with your mystery girl?”

Truth is, I did. That night at the park, the stranger that called my name was her. I smiled remembering everything that had happened:

She called my name and I turned around to be completely surprised. What followed was amazing. She patted the space on the bench next to her inviting me to sit. “I think it’s in everyone’s best interest that we sit. Can’t have you running over me again,” she teased and giggled. We spent hours into the night talking right there on that bench. She told me she read about my Vegas adventure which made me feel completely embarrassed. Then she shared some of her embarrassing stories to make it even. While she talked, I couldn’t help but keep my eyes glued to her. The way her nose wrinkled when she smiled to her dark eyes that the lights around us lit perfectly. When she laughed she would flip her head back or run her hands through hair and when she was trying to remember something she would touch her nose with her index and look out into the horizon. I was completely taken by her. At some point in the night, I made the decision to not leave without asking her one question, “What’s your name?” She promised to tell me if I walked her home again and I didn’t think twice about it. On the walk I told her about how I spent my time in Newport searching for her after the first night we met and she told me that because of me she kept an eye on sports news. Then as we got to the spot where she ran off into the night the first time, she turned to me and whispered in my ear, “Emma. I’m Emma Smith” Then she slipped something in my pocket and walked off into the dark again, looking over her shoulder smiling at me.

I smiled at the memory. In my pocket, she had slipped a paper with an address. The next day, I went to the address and found out it was a local library. I sat there for six hours after training and to my delight she came. Since then, I have met her at this library as many times as my schedule allowed it and we spent nights together talking.

“Hey lover boy! Quit dreaming and snap back to me, yeah?” Vince shouted effectively ending my trip down memory lane.

“Huh? Sorry. What did I miss?” I rubbed my hands over my face to wake up some more.

“I asked if you had another night with Emma but based on your smile and drool after the question, it seemed you did,” Vince said smiling.

“Yeah,” I chuckled. “She’s amazing. I’m telling you Vince.”

“You know, I got the tech guys at the offices to run a background check on her,” she said quietly as he went flipping through the papers again.

“You did??” I asked surprised. “What did you find!?”

“Nothing…” he said continuing in his quiet tone.

“What? What do you mean nothing?”

“I don’t know. All we have is a name on her. We found a few Emma Smith’s in the area but none match your description. Yours has no social media presence or any records nor anything.”

“That’s not a bad thing though,” I reasoned.

“You sure she’s real right?”

“Oh not this again. Yes! She is!” I yelled getting out of bed to put a shirt on.

“I’m just making sure you’ve not gone bonkers man. I mean, you only see her at night. Most times you two are completely alone. She’s given you no number or you haven’t actually been to her house. You just walk her to a spot and she disappears after that. All a little weird no?”

When he listed it out like that, I had to question it myself but I was defiant. “Enough Vince. You’ll meet her soon enough. You’ll see.”