Chapter 22
Ezra - Low Profile

View attachment 217246

“Did you see my goal?” I asked eagerly, curious to know if she has been watching my games.

“You found space brilliantly to get that shot in,” she said with a huge grin knowing that I’d be delighted with her answer.

I leaned in and kissed her then fell backwards onto the grass. We were having a late night picnic which was of course Emma’s idea. It’s been a few months now of seeing her and I’ve never been more happy with life. On the pitch I was still playing games and helping the team climb the table in the Vanarama Conference and off the pitch, everything was next to perfect. From my parents, to Vince and now Emma, everything was going my way. I also finally got to prove to Vince that she was indeed real by taking a picture with her. It took several weeks of pleading but she finally agreed to do it so he could stop telling my mom I had imaginary friends again.

“Hey Emma...can I ask you something?” I didn’t look at her as I spoke keeping my eyes glued to the starry night above.

“Anything,” she said confidently.

I lifted myself up to a seated position and looked in her eyes. She looked back smiling and brushed her hair behind her ears. “Why didn’t you want to give me your number at the beginning? And why haven’t you ever made me walk you right to your door? We also always meet at nights. You keep such a…”

“Low profile,” she said finishing my thought. She rested her chin on her fist and looked beyond me. I could tell she was thinking about it.

“I mean, you don’t have to answer any of this of course,” I said trying to play my curiosity down. I did want to know though.

“No. It’s okay. They are all valid points and questions. I just...I just don’t know how to answer them right now,” she said still looking past me, over my shoulder. I’ve never seen her this dazed. “The simplest answer I can give you Ezra is that, I just don’t want to be found.”

“Why not?” I quickly asked. Even more curious.

She chuckled lightly and ran her fingers through my hair. “I promise you...I’m not crazy or anything. Or wanted. Or any of those bad things. I’m just used to living like this and to be with you. Someone who is more or less constantly in the spotlight goes against all my ways but you. You’re worth it Ezra.”

I smiled and rested my forehead against hers. I completely understood what she meant and it wasn’t very much different from how I lived. Though I had big dreams that would potentially throw me in the spotlight - and it did ala Vegas - I never liked being known. I preferred living in the hush.

I kissed her forehead and pulled her down to the grass with me to watch the stars. “You’re the best thing that has come out of all these years of training for me.” If I had not been running that night because of bad club form, I would have never have met her.

View attachment 217245

Hey guys, as always thanks for following. I just want to announce that I'll be aiming to update this story to it's end at a faster rate. This is due to the beta of FM16 being out and me having to fight within myself to not start a story for it. As a result, I haven't even opened it haha. So the aim is to wrap this story up in the next few days or weeks and then start preparations for my FM16 story so look out for it!

Chapter 19
Matteo – Say Cheese
“Alright Locke, just give us one more smile.” The shutters clicked. “Alright, got it. Thanks.”

View attachment 217036

“You did well. Thanks for the interview,”
the reporter said. I had won the Sky Bet League 2 young player of the month award and did an interview with the local press about it.

View attachment 217034

To say I was enjoying my time in Stevenage would be an understatement and my form showed just how much of a good time I was having. I had scored 2 more goals and added a couple more assists too playing a big role in my team’s attacking unit. The team has collectively seen an upturn in form too as we have climbed the table to 13th in the league.

View attachment 217033

View attachment 217030

“No problem. Thanks for having me,” I responded. Before heading for the exit I made sure to call mom and tell her it went well.

“That’s terrific! I’ll be sure to look out for the release of the issue. I’ll even frame it!” she said excitedly.

I laughed. Nothing made me happier than having her happy about my success. Deep down I had been missing her as well so I made calling her more often a priority. “It won’t be the first print you’ll want to frame for me. I’ll make sure of it,” I promised.

“That’s what I like to hear Matty. Keep doing well and focusing and you’ll achieve anything you want.”

“Thanks mom. What have you done today? I hope you’re not burying yourself in work because you miss me and Cesare,” I said as I got into my car to head home.

“You know I can’t help that Matty. I’m just hoping that I can interview you next soon.”

“Oh please, you only report on the stars and big guns in sports. I’m nowhere near that.” What I said was completely true though. Mom was a respected journalist and covered some pretty big events. ****, if it wasn’t for this job of hers - I wouldn’t have been here today. After all, she did meet my dad the Austrian Grand Prix. That’s another story though.

To reach a point where I could end up being written about by my mom would be an honor though. Just not one that I’d see happening anytime soon. Who knows?

Chapter 20
Matteo – Moments

“Congratulations lads! We’ve secured a playoff spot!” At the end of the manager’s words, the room erupted! Our turn of form at the beginning of the year turned into an unbelievable run and we climbed all the way into a playoff spot and now could dream of being promoted.Personally I had never played this much football or this well in all my years so far. In total I have played 37 games, starting every single one of them. With 7 goals and 12 assists, I had been helping out as much as I could and it showed in the assists tables as I was ranked third. I was elated. Moments like these are why I enjoyed the game. I couldn’t wait to get on the pitch for the playoffs.

View attachment 217029

The good news didn’t stop there either. “We’re in talks to renew your contract at Palace lad,” Allen, my agent, said. “They’ve been impressed with how you did this season and want to see you continue your progress.”“Told you you’ve been impressive Matteo. I’m proud of you. Can’t wait to see you in those playoff finals,” Cesare joined in saying.“Neither can I Cesare, neither can I.”

Update News: You'll find the separate stories blending into each other now. Usually I give both player updates separately highlighting how they've been playing over the same period of time but I've found that sometimes I don't really have much to update on one or the other so now it'll be more fluid, flipping randomly between players.

Chapter 21
Matteo - Playoff Finals

My first taste of a final. It wasn’t the biggest one but it was a final nonetheless and I wanted to help the team win. I was in the team right from the start and was down to play on the right side of a midfield four.

View attachment 217020

The gaffer was playing it safe in this one as this wasn’t my winger role further up the pitch that he had played me in for parts of the season. I was used to play a little deeper though and over the last few years I had become a natural at this position.

View attachment 217028

I needed to step up in this game as our leading scorer Jack Marriot was out of this clash. So if I could create just enough chances for my teammates or even score one, I would be delighted. The atmosphere in the stadium was loud and intense as we talked out onto the pitch.In the early stages of the game we were controlling position. I played my role in keeping the ball and playing smart passes. We had a couple shots at goal but we looked far from threatening at the moment.Finally in the 33rd minute me and my teammates were wheeling off and celebrating. We played a smart throw in near the corner where the ball was headed back to Dabo who swung the ball in the box and Okenarbirhie…or Oken as I called him, ‘cause really his name is a mouthful, headed it home. 1-0.

View attachment 217026

At halftime the gaffer encouraged us on and sent us back out there. His words really got to us and a minute after the restart we got a free-kick. It was at the perfect angle for my left foot so I stood over it to make them know this was mine. I ran up slowly and launched a shot at goal that the keeper parried and Dimao pounced on the rebound. It was 2-0! Promotion looks like it’s going to happen. We were going crazy!The buzz through me and my teammates was evident and so it came as no surprise when fine passing from a few of us led to Oken being slipped through to put us 3-0 up! He ran to me hugging me but our celebrations were short-lived. Offside! Dammit.When Tomlon turned in the box after a free-kick ricocheted its way to his feet and smashed the ball in the net. Nothing was stopping our celebrations this time. 3-0!When the final whistle came we went mad! We had done it.

View attachment 217022

Promotion was ours after a solid season and a fine showing on the pitch today. I knew I wasn’t going to be playing with these guys next season but I was enjoying the celebrations and would definitely have a drink with them later to continue celebrating.

Chapter 22

Ezra

It was the off season and once more my time in Newport had come to an end. To be honest, most of the season had been a blur to me with how my life off the field has been. To say I had been enjoying my time with Emma would be an understatement. That’s not t say I neglected my training and on field responsibilities though because let’s face it, dad would break us up in an instant. I had a decent year all things considered and picked up a few team of the week appearances.

View attachment 215998

Now I was back at Swansea and waiting to see where I would go next. With a handful of clubs interested in me, it could have been anywhere but in all honesty, I wanted to stay at Swansea.

View attachment 215997

This way I wouldn’t be too far from Emma. I knew I had no say though so I just had to patiently wait.

Matteo

“What a year you had honey. I’m proud of you,” mom said as she sat at the dinner table with me and Cesare. I was on holiday and decided once more that home was the best place to enjoy my break. I knew it wouldn’t be for long though as Crystal Palace had already informed me that four clubs are interested in making a loan offer for me. It would be down to me to decide where I’d go now.

View attachment 215996

“Thanks mom. Everyone at Stevenage made my time there perfect and I’m glad I could help with their success,” I said while I looked at Cesare stuffing his face without breaks.

“Cesare sweetheart, slow down,” my mom said when she followed my eyes. “You two don’t eat when you leave do you?”

“We eat,” Cesare said coming up for air. “Just not good food like this one!”

“So when do you two leave me again? Have you made a decision on your clubs Matty?” Mom asked.

“More or less. It’s an easy choice really. Just depends on who makes an offer. Cesare and Palace will sort everything out at the end of the week then we’re off again in two weeks.”

“Awh, okay. I wish they’d just let you play for them so you could stay here.”

“Me too mom but that won’t happen sadly. For some reason they just don’t want me playing for them,” I said shrugging it off. I had given up hope on playing for Palace and my main career goal right now was to just find a team, settle in and feel important. Similar to how important I felt at Stevenage, even getting the honor of being selected in the Players’ Team of Year.

View attachment 215995

Chapter 23

Matteo

I was back where I belonged.

View attachment 215994

After such an amazing first year at Stevenage, it was a no-brainer to come back when they asked me to. If only it were permanent. We were in a higher division than last year and I just wanted to help them push on. Unfortunately I would have to wait to do that as I got myself injured shortly after turning up. Still, I was here and I was looking forward to developing further.

Ezra

“It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense dad. They didn’t let me go out on loan and I repaid their faith with a fine showing in the Capital One Cup but…” I said downbeat over the phone.

View attachment 215990

“But...they put you on the transfer list. I know my boy. It shocked both me and Grey and we spoke to them about it. They didn’t really give us a reason other than saying they saw no future for you at the club. Nothing we can do about it now,” he said in a similar tone.

View attachment 215991

“What happens now then?”

“Now you just wait and try to keep yourself motivated. From the sounds of it, you won’t be appearing much for them for the remainder of the season. So we can only hope they let you go on loan. There are still a few clubs interested in you. I know you wanted to stay close to Emma but things probably won’t go that way unless Newport come back for a fourth time!” he said chuckling slightly.

View attachment 215989

“Ha. Newport, I wish they’d just buy me already!” I said with a similar chuckle.

“I wish they’d buy you too!” Emma shouted from the other room.

“I could buy you!” Vince shouted shortly after lightening the mood.

“There you go son. You have a strong support system with you. From Vince to Emma, to me and your mom. We’ll always be here for you. Maybe not always at the same time but we’ll be here,” my dad said after hearing everyone in the background.

He was right. I wouldn’t trade any of them for anything, not even a Champions League winners medal.

Chapter 24

Ezra

“I miss you. When do you come back?” she asked over video chat.

“January, unless they decide to extend my loan. I miss you too,” I said.

For the first time in a while, I was alone and away from everyone. Cambridge United had approached Swansea to loan me for 5 months and they accepted. I didn’t have much of a choice as I needed the playing time to keep sharp and help secure a permanent club for next season.

View attachment 215274

“You need to go to sleep. Don’t you have a game tomorrow?” Emma said as she laid in bed and pulled her blankets up to her shoulders. I could tell she was tired. She had stayed up with me every night online and left her video on while she slept.

“I do. I need to keep my form up. Hasn’t been ba-.” I looked at the screen to find that she was already out like a light. As great as she is, she is still not a great football enthusiast and so falling asleep while I ramble about it was nothing new.

I did need to find a way to keep my form up though. I had already scored 3 goals and assisted 2 in just 8 appearances for Cambridge. I had a few more months until the loan expired so I needed to perform as best as I could. This season is a crucial one in my career.

View attachment 215273

Matteo

My second season in Stevenage wasn’t going all as planned. The team were finding it a lot tougher in a higher league. My stats on the field were nothing to boast about either. Even though I had scored in our last game, that was only my second goal in 13 games and I have yet to lay on a goal for a teammate. I was determined as ever to get out of this slump though.

View attachment 215271View attachment 215272

Off the field, everything was the same. Mom still called as much as she could and Cesare still annoyed me about finding myself a mate. He even went ahead and got us a double date. To say I was not looking forward to it was an understatement but I couldn’t argue with him as he had already threatened to do things to me while I slept. What would he do? I had no idea but I’m a heavy sleeper and it wasn’t worth the risk at all.

Hey everyone. Be sure to check out my new FM16 story coming up: Dug Out To The Dugout