Aberdeen - A Light In The North

Klippybo

Premium
Reaction score
1645830355806.png

ABERDEEN - A LIGHT IN THE NORTH

So with the new update comes a new save and I have decided to manage my 2nd club - Aberdeen. The 3rd biggest team in Scotland but at the present moment are caught in a bit of a crossroads as Jim Goodwin hasnt been manager for a week but here I am taking his place!

A brief summary of myself supporting Aberdeen. Many of you will know that I am a Newcastle United fanatic but being from Aberdeenshire I have followed Aberdeen and I went to my first game on 2nd Jan 1993 (A 0-0 draw against Dundee). I have had 2 season tickets in my time, contributed to a fanzine, and for a spell I actually just went to away games but in the last 20 years I have probably only attended around 100 games but I always watch games online or when on TV.

So here I am taking over with the aim of toppling the Old Firm first and foremost before taking the club to European glory like Alex Ferguson did in 1983 when they beat Real Madrid in the Cup-Winners Cup Final.

Also I want to become manager of Scotland and improve their fortunes and cement them as a team that is a regular contender in the international tournaments.

So please follow and comment!!!!

--

SEASON BY SEASON RECORD
SEASONCINCH PREMIERSHIPPREMIER SPORTS CUPSCOTTISH CUPUEFA CONFERENCE LEAGUE
2021-22

1645831736155.png

PRE-SEASON

I arrived at the club with a squad which needed some serious attention but with such limited finances it was always going to be a slow progress. 2 of my CBs - Considine and Devlin are out for almost the entire season while Matty Kennedy the winger is also out for a long spell.

I inherited 1 natural RB, a load of CMs and only 1 natural striker!!!!!

So I had a bit of work to do............

Before we go into transfers I should mention some of my backroom appointments as former Dons players Gordon Strachan (Technical Director), Eric Black (Coach) and Neil Cooper (Scout) have been appointed,

--

PLAYERS OUT

Only the one so far! Dylan McGeouch immediately came to me saying he wanted to explore his options at the end of his contract so I immediately shipped him out to Dundee United for £68,000.

--

PLAYERS IN

4 players have been brought in.

With the excellent Calvin Ramsay at RB I needed a decent backup so my first signing was Connor McLaughlin on a free transfer. Providing Ramsay steers clear from injury he wont get much games but I needed a backup.
mclaughlin.png

My next signing was McGeouch's replacement and it was an absolute bargain as somehow we managed to prise away Finlay Robertson away from Dundee for just £100,000. He is only 18y/o but will be involved with the first team and will be a key player in the future for sure. Unfortunately he has picked up an injury and will be out for a while.
robertson.png

I desperately needed a CB with Considine and Devlin out long term so I went to St.Johnstone and signed Jamie McCart for £220,000 which almost wiped out my transfer budget. He is a ball playing CB which is what I love and he is also left footed so he will be a first pick for sure.
mccart.png

Finally I brought in Jackson Conway in on loan from Atlanta United (our parent club) to cover for Ramirez up front. He is a target man but I had little money and really needed cover so in he came.
conway.png

1645982410873.png

Sir Alex Ferguson
YEARSPWDLW%TROPHIES
1978-864592721058259.310

Arguably the best manager of all time in the history of football, Sir Alex Ferguson was appointed manager of Aberdeen in 1978 after he was sacked by St.Mirren. He went on to lead the club to 3 league titles, 4 Scottish Cups, 1 League Cup as well as the European Cup-Winners Cup after defeating Real Madrid 2-1 in the clubs greatest hour and also the European Super Cup.

He left to join Manchester United and a statue was revealed at Pittodrie in his honour this very weekend.

JULY & AUGUST

UEFA Conference League 2nd Qualifying Round 1st Leg
shkupi.png

Lineup - Lewis, McLaughlin (Ojo), Bates*, McCart (Gallagher), MacKenzie (Hayes), McCrorie (Polvara), Brown, Besuijen, Ferguson (Emmanuel-Thomas), Montgomery, Ramirez

A decent performance which was not rewarded with the scoreline. Vicente Besuijen got both of our goals however his debut could have been even better but he saw his penalty saved late on.

--

UEFA Conference League 2nd Qualifying Round 2nd Leg
6-2.png

Lineup - Lewis, Ramsay (McLaughlin), Bates, McCart, MacKenzie (Hayes), McCrorie, Brown (Jenks), Besuijen, Ferguson, Montgomery, Ramirez*

We thump the Macedonians in the 2nd leg here thanks to a wonderful performance from Christian Ramirez as he netted 4 times. Besuijen also netted again and Lewis Ferguson popped up with a goal so it was a good win.

--

livingston.png

Lineup - Lewis, McLaughlin, Bates, McCart, MacKenzie*, McCrorie, Brown (Jenks), Besuijen (McLennan), Ferguson (Emmanuel-Thomas), Montgomery (Watkins), Ramirez (Conway)

A decent start to our league campaign. Jack MacKenzie and Adam Montgomery scored two goals in quick succession for us but in the 2nd half we dropped off a bit and they pulled a goal back but we sealed the points late on when Marley Watkins prodded home from close range.

Celtic and Rangers both lost their first game of the season surprisingly.

--

UEFA Conference League 3rd Qualifying Round 1st Leg
qarabag.png

Lineup - Lewis, McLaughlin, Bates, McCart, MacKenzie (Hayes), McCrorie, Brown, Besuijen, Ferguson, Montgomery*, Ramirez (Conway)

This is an unbelievable result!!!!

We go away to Azerbaijan and hit Qarabag for 7 as we put on a tremendous display. We were 3-0 up after 22min so it was really game over from then. Adam Montgomery - who I see as my backup LW when Watkins is fully fit - scored a fantastic hat-trick and that is certainly food for thought.

As an aside Aberdeen were paired against Qarabag this season in real life and after a 1-0 defeat in the first leg away the Dons lost 3-1 at home which was a game that I attended so it is funny to see us win so convincingly!

--

livingston.png

Lineup - Lewis, McLaughlin (Ramsay), Bates, McCart, MacKenzie (Hayes), McCrorie, Brown, Besuijen,\'; Ferguson, Montgomery*, Ramirez (Watkins)

Adam Montgomery is on fire!!! He scored another 2 goals here and my on loan Celtic player is pulling up trees at the moment.

--

UEFA Conference League 3rd Qualifying Round 2nd Leg
View attachment 582030

Lineup - Lewis, McLaughlin (Ramsay), Gallagher, McCart, Hayes, Ojo (Barron), Polvara, McLennan (Besuijen), Emmanuel-Thomas (Jenks), Watkins (Montgomery), Conway

With the games coming thick and fast and with a 5 goal lead heading into this match I decided to play a backup side and we managed to win through although we werent at our best.

-

Premier Sports Cup 2nd Round
hamilton.png

Lineup
- Lewis, McLaughlin, Gallagher (Bates), McCart (McCrorie), Hayes (MacKenzie), Ojo, Polvara (Jenks), McLennan (Besuijen), Emmanuel-Thomas*, Watkins, Conway

I trusted my backups again here and they did the job - but only just!!! We fell behind early on but JET levelled and we managed to scrape through on penalties.

--

UEFA Conference League 4th Qualifying Round 1st Leg
puskas.png

Lineup - Lewis, McLaughlin (Ramsay), Bates, McCart, MacKenzie (Hayes), McCrorie, Brown, Besuijen (Watkins), Ferguson*, Montgomery, Ramirez

Very nice! This should be good enough to see us progress into the group stages. I expected a tougher match as Puskas Akademia knocked out Rosenborg in the previous round but we smashed in 3 goals in the opening 26min and controlled the game from then on.

--

hearts.png

Lineup - Lewis, Ramsay (Ojo), Bates, McCart, MacKenzie, McCrorie (Jenks), Brown*, Besuijen (Watkins), Ferguson (Emmanuel-Thomas), Montgomery (Hayes), Ramirez

A fine away performance. Adam Montgomery scored yet again to put us in front and then when they went down to 10 men. When Scott Brown scored 2min later from 20 yards it was all over and then he bundled home his 2nd before half time.

--

UEFA Conference League 4th Qualifying Round 2nd Leg
2-3.png

Lineup
- Lewis, Ramsay (McLaughlin), Bates, McCart, MacKenzie (Hayes), McCrorie, Brown (Barron), Besuijen, Ferguson (Emmanuel-Thomas), Montgomery (Watkins), Ramirez

We qualify for the group stages but I am not happy that we threw away a 2 goal lead to lose the match.

--

ross co.png

Lineup - Lewis, Ramsay, Bates*, Gallagher, MacKenzie (Hayes), McCrorie, Brown (Ojo), Besuijen (Watkins), Ferguson, Montgomery, Ramirez

We make it 4 wins out of 4 in the league with a comfortable win over Ross County. With all the games coming thick and fast the upcoming international break will be a good chance to give my players a rest!

--

SUMMARY

We have made an excellent start to the season! We have won all 4 league games to make a perfect start to the league campaign while Celtic and Rangers have slipped up. We struggled to beat Hamilton in the League Cup but we got the job done however the main focus was on our Conference League fixtures.

In July we disposed of Shkupi and that set us up with a tie against Qarabag and we destroyed them 7-2 in the first leg away from home before beating them at Pittodrie. Hungarian side Puskas Akademia stood between us and the group stages and we defeated them 3-0 at home to all but secure our group stage place. We lost the 2nd leg despite going 2-0 up which was a disappointment.

In the group stages we have been drawn against Rennes, Molde and Shamrock Rovers.
1645991222125.png
1645991261296.png
1645991280619.png
1645991319805.png

I didnt sign anyone else in the transfer window. I had a bit of money to spend and pulled out of a deal to sign Lynden Gooch from Sunderland. Apart from McCrorie, Ferguson and Ramsay the whole squad really needs strengthened but with £250,000 to spend it will have to be done in baby steps.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
ADAM MONTGOMERY
montgomery.png

--

PREMIERSHIP
AUG.png

Alas I keep on winning games and after just 2 months of the domestic season with Celtic and Rangers being so far behind me I am going to quit this save. Disappointing. Didnt even have that good a squad.