Accessing (Generated) Data outside of FM/Editor? How?

Reaction score
Hello, thought I'd post this here as I don't really know where else it fits. The basis of the two questions is:

Is it possible to create template editor data by accessing the database with a database software? And can anyone give me pointers on where to find resources and things to bear in mind?

Is it possible to access data from a particular save file (match stats/player stats) outside of Football Manager? And does anyone have any pointers on this also?

NB: I am aware that there may be some contention about accessing databases in such a way based on it being intellectual property owned by Sports Interactive, however I am asking for the ability to edit programmatically and access save data (not real world data), and not asking to mine their database. If I were to try to mine their data for personal benefit/profit I think they are adequately protected legally to deal with me so I would appreciate a focus on the questions rather than any statement about this.
---

I have a background of working with data and databases, and I have often wanted to do some editing within Football Manager, but find that using the editor makes things very slow and very repetitive. I would like to be able to load the FM database in another piece of database software, and then use that to programmatically perform those slow repetitive tasks for me. If you'd like an example of such a task:

- I would like to create a new league, full of new teams with set values for key fields such as reputation.
- I would like each time to have a certain number of new players, with set values for key fields such as Age, CA, PA, Position.

Two simple tasks, but in the editor i would have to first make the league, and then make each individual club (or one club, clone it and still have to open each club up to edit the values i want to edit), and then create individual players for each club (or do that at the one club, clone it then tweak each player as decided).

I feel like this is the sort of task that I could write a simple script to be able to do for me each time i need to and output it as an editor data file that i can then load into the editor to check for inconsistencies.

I have a secondary interest in the statistical side of things, and would like to understand more about how my team is playing and what players are doing. Even with the datahub addition, i feel like I don't get to dig deeply into what I want to look at and I'm constrained to the views that Sports Interactive have decided are important, and only to look at a recent subset of games. I would like to be able to access/store some data about my saves that would allow me to properly analyse my players / build dashboards like the data nerd i truly am.

Any help on things you know or people that might be able to help me out would be greatly appreciated! :)

Ugh... just realised this should be in Editor Discussion but I can't delete and repost in the right place!

You need the Pre-Game Editor (is free). Steam > Library > Dropdown Menu "Tools"

You need the Pre-Game Editor (is free). Steam > Library > Dropdown Menu "Tools"

My question was if there is a way of accessing the data in an alternate to the Editor that allows me to use it programmatically and make scripts for doing repetitive tasks, and also a way to access the data in save files with regens, player stats, match data etc.

The Pre-Game editor is not that. Unless I am missing something that incredibly well hidden.

@cosmiccreepers As far as I know, there is no direct way of extracting the database from the game.

I believe it's also technically not allowed according to Terms and Policy of the game.

While I know some "escamotage" to export the players/staff data from the game (or can think of a couple of ways to extract it from the pre-game editor, for more accurate general data, but less accurate save game data), I haven't found a simple way (yet) to export the match stats/player stats.

We're working on something cool tho, I won't give any information yet because it's still in very early stages and we have other priorities, so I don't want to create false expectations.

My question was if there is a way of accessing the data in an alternate to the Editor that allows me to use it programmatically and make scripts for doing repetitive tasks, and also a way to access the data in save files with regens, player stats, match data etc.

The Pre-Game editor is not that. Unless I am missing something that incredibly well hidden.

Nope. There is no such a tool as far I know.