eddlad

Reaction score
After reading a few of the FM stories on here, I have decided to take the plunge myself and create my own story. Some of the stories have been very well written and interesting to boot, I just hope mine doesn't let the side down.

Naturally, I decided I wanted a bit of a challenge, so decided on Accington Stanley in Coca-Cola League 2. They have one of the worst set-ups in the league and are basically a Non-League club punching above their weight.

Before I started I decided on a few rules I would follow;

1. I won't exploit any known bugs in the game e.g. The corner tactic or Pre-season tournaments.
2. I will be using all my own tactics.
3. I will not buy players I cannot afford. If I can't afford the fee I will not allow any clauses such as paying over X number of months, the only clause I will allow myself is offering a percentage of next sale.
4. I will see this through to the end, which ever comes first; The sack or The Champions League!
5. Doesn't really need saying but, no external editors (FMRTE, Genie, etc.)

I am using a large database on the 10.2 patch. I have selected England as my only playable leagues right down to Blue Square North/ South level. Also loaded all players based in the UK and Ireland and players from top division clubs in Europe.

I have set my past reputation to automatic and favourite club to Burnley (who else?)

rj37h4.png

Background

There have been numerous incarnations of Accington Stanley, all under various guises. The current team were founded in 1968 and their only honours to date are various Non League trophies, the most significant being the Conference National (currently Blue Square Premier).

Stanley play their home games at the Crown Ground, with a capacity of 5,057 (2,000 seated) they have one of the smallest Stadiums in the league with only Barnet and Dag. and Red. beating them.

Long Term Aims

Maybe I am over stretching myself here but my aim is to win the Champions League, I know it is ambitious but I won't set a limit on how long it will take to complete.

Completely rid the club of debt. I will be fiscally prudent throughout the game and will look to secure the clubs finances.

Upgrade current facilities to Top Class including youth academy.

Get an average attendance of at least 30,000 (over a season).

1st Season

Up Hill Task

I am not expected to do well this season, the board are happy for me to just " learn from the experience of participating in League Two", but I think I can do a little better than that and have told them I will avoid relegation. In reality, I will be disappointed if I don't get mid-table. The media expects us to finish 20th.

The club's finances are in a mess, the bank balance is £15k in the red and we also owe a further £350k, with having a small stadium and fanbase it looks like it will be a tough debt to maintain.

I'm currently under my wage budget of £11,820 p/w by a few hundred pounds but that will be have to be drastically cut. I have noticed we are throwing money away on loan signings when there are better available for much less.

I have a transfer budget of £0 and don't expect to be paying any fees for a few seasons. Though I may need to sell some of my better players along the way.

I have a pretty weak squad if truth be told, the strongest position seems to be CB, but all areas need to be strengthened. I like to have 22 players in my first team squad (two for every position) and start a few short.

Wish me luck, I've got a feeling I'm going to really need it. If you have any constructive criticisms on where I could improve my layout or writing style then feel free to comment. (Don't forget this is my first story, so go easy on me. :D Cheers.)

I will post my first update tomorrow.

Last edited:
A REAL challenge indeed! Wish you all the best.... I too started a game with Morecambe, was some 18th half way through the first season and I got very ****** off and deleted the save :D.
I hope that you can derive some success outta your team....And try the FM story tips and templates..they r good and am using it my Reading story....

Good Luck Mate.
Every time i start League two I end up tearing my hair in frustration and quitting.
But then again, I am not exactly the best. =] I will be following.

Good luck mate, hard challange, i'll follow do them proud !

A REAL challenge indeed! Wish you all the best.... I too started a game with Morecambe, was some 18th half way through the first season and I got very ****** off and deleted the save :D.
I hope that you can derive some success outta your team....And try the FM story tips and templates..they r good and am using it my Reading story....

Ok cheers mate, I've had a quick glance at JackFulham's thread, very useful it was too.

Good Luck Mate.
Every time i start League two I end up tearing my hair in frustration and quitting.
But then again, I am not exactly the best. =] I will be following.

Yeah sometimes it is frustrating but it's not my first L2 save, hopefully I'll fair a little better than you :p

Good luck mate, hard challange, i'll follow do them proud !

Thanks, yeah it is a tough challenge. I will post an update when I've typed it up.

Wow im a Deffo follower on this you writing skills pulled me in

Pre-Season

I have spent a good few hours just getting to grips with the challenge I face. One of the first problems I have encountered is that, my staff really are poor even for L2 standard, and due to the clubs finances I can't really do anything about it until the end of the season, when their contracts expire.

One of the first things I did upon assessing the team was to cancel the long-term loan deals of Tom Lees and Alan Martin. Both were being paid excessive amounts (£600, same as my top earners) and I believed I could bring in a better calibre of player on loan hopefully paying £0. The one loanee I kept was Billy Kee from Leicester, he is a pretty a decent player at this level and one of my better players, once again though he is on £450, a wage that could have gone to better use.

The loanee's I inherited mean I have only one long term loan left (from England, u24), so I opted for Ben Parker from Leeds. I was ecstatic at his capture, it is a real coup for the club. (In a previous Leeds save, I couldn't get rid of Parker. No matter who I signed, he outperformed them and was still a regular player in their second season in the PL). Hopefully he will play just as well here. I have high hopes.

View attachment 51286

The club is currently living way above its means, I needed to slash the wage bill whilst trying to improve the squad, I spent hours approaching different players all wanting too much, but after much deliberation I had made my choices, I had to make some tough decisions on letting a couple of my better players go but I now believe I have a stronger squad than which I started, being paid quite a lot less. My starting wage bill was £11,820 and I have managed to reduce it to just £7,218 p/w.

Some of the transfers I hope make a real difference this season are;

Buba - A defesive midfielder by nature, but he has all the attributes to be a very good Centre Back at this level.

View attachment 51287

Benjamin Muhmehic - A young CM prospect, good passer of the ball and high work rate, according to my (poor) coaches he has the potential to be my best CM by a country Mile.

View attachment 51288

David Wiliams - Another prospect, I can see him becoming a decent Target man, may need to patient with him though as he's only 19.

View attachment 51289

Ins/Outs in full

View attachment 51290

I had a decent(ish) pre-season in terms of results, with our only loss coming to Burnley (although I was slightly disappointed with the result, having led them 2-0 at one point)

View attachment 51291

Tactics

I have created a simple 4-4-2 using the tactic creator. It really is very basic, utililising wingers, getting in crosses and playing with a "big 'un 'n' little 'un" up front, think Defoe/Crouch but League Two. I will tweak the tactic depending on who we play or how I'm doing.

View attachment 51294

View attachment 51295

Lets hope I can do my 350 season ticket holders proud this season. XD

Last edited:
Surprisingly for me Accrington is quite easy, got them promoted in first season
Good Luck :)

You may be a "dingle" .. but i wish you all the best ... I will be following your story with great interest. :)^^)

Ive done an accy one and i got them promoted first season :p
and survived second season:L
no pressure ,,, dingle :L

haha i love acrington stanley, got them up to the premierleague on FIFA 06 =D. They are always ridiculed as a bad club due to their alphabetical order in the league, people just see them and use them as an example of a **** team. PROVE THEM ALL WRONG (H)

(Goodluck is what i meant to say)

haha i love acrington stanley, got them up to the premierleague on FIFA 06 =D. They are always ridiculed as a bad club due to their alphabetical order in the league, people just see them and use them as an example of a **** team. PROVE THEM ALL WRONG (H)

(Goodluck is what i meant to say)

good luck eddlad

Surprisingly for me Accrington is quite easy, got them promoted in first season
Good Luck :)

Good luck man im sure u will pull it off

Thanks guys.

You may be a "dingle" .. but i wish you all the best ... I will be following your story with great interest. :)^^)

Ive done an accy one and i got them promoted first season :p
and survived second season:L
no pressure ,,, dingle :L

Just remember David Dunn will always be a red at heart. (6)

I will post a mid-season update tomorrow.

Half Way Through

So here we are, at the start of February and Accrington Stanley sit proudly in 2nd place in the Coca Cola League Two.

I have been really surprised at how well we have performed in the league, we sit 4 points behind leaders Rotherham and 2 points above the other surprise package, Torquay. We are only 3 points above the play-off spots though with Notts Co., who have by far and away the best side in the league, chasing hard.

View attachment 52357

With a 13 point cushion on 8th placed Rochdale, a play-off place is now my minimum expectation from this season though there is a real chance of an Automatic promotion, as the top 3 places gain a direct route to L1.

My performances have been consistent all season with just the odd anomaly popping up. One thing we have struggled with though is scoring goals, if the league table reflected only goals scored, we would be in the bottom half of the table, thankfully it's points that matter. One of the key reasons for us picking up so many points is our defensive unit, they have been fantastic and greatly helped by being able to keep a pretty consistent line-up. We have conceded just 25 goals in 29 league games and have the second best defensive record in the league, being ousted, just, by Rotherham.

One of the key factors in our defensive wall is central defender Dean Winnard. He has been simply brilliant so far, with an average rating of 7.26 and missing just one game through suspension. Some of his statistics are brilliant just have a look at his tackles/ headers won.

View attachment 52363

View attachment 52364

Captain Matthew Proctor has also had a major impact on not only where we are in the league but the way we play also. He has contributed towards 9 goals so far, 5 of his own and 4 assists. He actually isn't the best CM on paper at the squad but being club captain, I think he adds consistency to an ever changing squad, and it is surely needed.

View attachment 52366

Since the start of the season I have relied heavily on loans, especially at RB. One of the things I had overlooked is that my main RB Peter Cavanagh has a global ban, for his involvement in match fixing, until 10.4.2010, he is eating up a £650 p/w salary (joint top earner). So I have had to bring in a succession of short term ( 3 month) loans at RB. 3 in total so far all coming in and doing a good job on a short term basis. In the January transfer window I brought in two more RB's on loan, this time until the end of the season from Scotland.

View attachment 52374

View attachment 52375

My finances have took a turn for the worse, but that is to be expected until my £300k loan has been paid off. I'm currently paying off £25k p/m and that is really soaking up any turnover I make. If I wasn't paying off the debt I would have made a profit so far.

View attachment 52386

I will finish my first season today and hopefully have an update tomorrow.

Good story and good luck mate :)

Season Review

ACCRINGTON STANLEY ARE COCA COLA LEAGUE TWO CHAMPIONS!!!

I am truly shocked at what I have achieved in my first season. My aim was for a top half finish, and after losing both of my opening two games 3-0, I thought even that was a stretch too far, claiming Accrington's first professional title seemed impossible.

We had a fantastic end of season run, we finished unbeaten in 12 games and won 8 of the 12 and scoring a much improved 28 goals. We finished with 94 points, 5 ahead of Rotherham, who tailed off badly towards the end. They were six points clear at one point, and I had slipped to 4th, which had me even doubting automatic promotion.

View attachment 52475

One of the most influential players in the second half of the season was January loan signing, Adam Rooney. I struggled with him at first, mistakenly playing him as poacher, but after I had rectified my previous error and gave him the advanced forward role, he excelled. He was awesome. in the true meaning of the word, scoring 14 goals in 21 apps. and even chipping in with 4 assists, all this equating to a average rating of 7.34.

View attachment 52494

View attachment 52495

(Sorry about the screenshots, I forgot to take some before he hopped back over the wall.)

Central to our success were Dean Winnard and free signing Buba, who formed a fantastic partnership at centre back. Both playing over 45 games and helping us to the best defensive record in the League.

View attachment 52503 View attachment 52504

View attachment 52505 View attachment 52506

Unfortunately we didn't fare as well in cup competition, getting knocked out in 1st round of both The FA Cup and The Johnstone's Paint Trophy by means of a penalty shoot outs. In hindsight these early exits probably aided our Promotion push, being a little fitter than our rivals in the dreaded run-in.

The club's finances took a battering with our unexpected success. I absent-mindedly offered the players a high league bonus, the cost of my error? £210k, compare that to the £69k I got for winning the League and it puts it into perspective. The finances at a glance look worse than they did at the start of the season but with our bank loan being paid off at the end of June and season ticket sales to come, I hope to kick off next season firmly in the black.

View attachment 52508

A season in League One beckons.

Well done Eddlad, only just seen this and skimmed through your updates, and you've made smart buys and kept the finances intact, keep it up, great read aswell :)