Adler : " Come and get me "

oneunited

Reaction score
Adler wants dream move to Old Trafford

reneadlerdec10_275x155.jpg

Bayer Leverkusen goalkeeper Rene Adler has reiterated his desire to play for Manchester United and will not discuss a new contract with his Bundesliga club until later in the season.United are looking for a new No. 1 with Edwin van der Sar, 40, almost certain to retire from professional football at the end of the current campaign. And Adler has effectively sent out a 'come and get me' plea by declaring his ambition of moving to Old Trafford.

Adler, whose current deal with Leverkusen runs until the summer of 2012, was quoted as saying in the Sunday Mirror: "I have told the board of Leverkusen that I am not willing to discuss any kind of new contract until April. I just want to achieve a Champions League spot with my team here now.

"But everyone here knows that I have higher ambitions and everyone knows that Manchester United is my dream club. The board of the club are aware of the special clause in my contract.

"As a young kid all my friends were interested in cartoons, MTV, and German television programmes, but I was only interested in one person: Peter Schmeichel, who was in goal for Manchester United. I thought he was fantastic and loved every minute he was on TV with United.

"My whole bedroom was full of Schmeichel posters and United things. I also had one or two other heroes in football, like Paul Gascoigne and Zidane. But nobody, in my eyes, was as impressive as Schmeichel."

I DIDN'T POST THIS IN TRANSFER RUMOUR THREAD BECAUSE, WELL ADLER WANTS TO LEAVE SO I THINK I SHOULD MAKE A THREAD. MODS IF I DID THIS WRONG, PLEASE CLOSE

ORIGINAL ARTICLE ;)

I don't want united to get adler. Lol vds to retire and let kuzscak take the number one spot XD

We've been repeatedly linked with Neuer as well...

The past few seasons it's always been VDS and two other keepers vying for principal back-up. Those two were Kuszczak and Foster with the latter moving on and Ben Amos being promoted. Amos shows a lot of promise and I can see Fergie retaining him for years to come as he develops. Lindegaard seems unlikely to replace VDS directly and is probably a like for like swap for Kuszczak, who many predicted would be leaving in this window (unlikely now with Amos on loan). I still expect the Pole to leave sooner rather than later, though it might be a bit much to lose two goalies in one off season, but I reckon that's what'll happen.

So a new keeper will have to be brought in and Adler seems the best bet. A lot of United fans are divided on whether a more experienced player is needed (yep, I've actually seen Buffon bandied about), but I think that's bollocks.

Last edited:
Adler is a great GK, surely good for Man UTD. But this is just my opinion. I watched him a lot in the past 2 years. He's top quality.

Find a better source than soccernet/sunday mirror