Admitting that right now I need some tactical help.

LiamOT

Reaction score
I consider myself to be decent at this game, I usually make decent tactics.

I've now made a new tactic with my Colchester team which is creating chances, but they're are simply not being converted and it's starting to take it's toll. It's also leaky at the back.

I'm in the Premier League, I'm in no danger of relegation. In fact, I would describe my team as an established premier league team.

Some screenshots:

View attachment 368372

View attachment 368371

View attachment 368370

View attachment 368369

View attachment 368368

GK = Take Quick Throws
RB = Sit Narrower
CB
CB
LB = Stay Wider
DM = Short Passing
LCM
RCM = Close Down More
RW = Shoot Less Often, Hold Position, Cross Centre
LW = Sit Narrower, Roam, Get Further Forward
ST = Shoot Less Often, More Direct Passes

As far as I'm concerned I'm creating chances in right areas.

This Villa game has been the typical game for me lately, and I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The reason you could be leaking goals is because of the players that are actually defending. Maybe a new tactic could work, or have your RB play on limited full back to help defend.

Look for overlap should not be used with counter, it will slow down your attack and wait on the rushing full backs. Also it will expose you defensively. Imo the deep lying playmaker on support does not run enough equally attack/defend. You should imo box to box that area. Box to boxers are best runners forward and cover well for the if/winger on that side.

You should tick Run at defence, as it will make your wingers move in space in order to receive crosses from the back line.

Apart from that i would instruct my mids to both roam and man mark. Roam should be move from their marker when in possesion to receive the ball, mark should be to allow little time to opposition midfielders.

You could also try to drop the anchor man as sweeper( If defensive duty only) or libero (if u want a tackler all over pitch) and put both the central defs as stoppers, they should close the gap in midfield okay and the sweeper acts like a defender on cover, only slightly better. Having 2 full backs aswell should make your team defensively strong.

My 2 cents.

Thanks for the suggestions. I eventually settled upon this and it's working quite well.

View attachment 367804

It may look odd but I believe that tactics don't have to be symmetrical, and it's bearing results.

Overlap and Counter suggestion made sense so I just switched to an all out attack.
The B2B suggestion again made sense but with my Left Back being the only wide player I felt it was neccessary to have a holding role on the left hand side of midfield.

I set the shadow striker to man mark the opposition RB when we haven't got the ball to give a 4-1-2-2-1 look.
And also depending on the opposition I change the LB from FB(A) to WB(S).

You had a good basic formation there's just a few things that could be tweaked:

ST = Shoot Less Often, More Direct Passes

Why would you tell your only striker to shoot less often? he's your main central goal threat you should be telling him to shoot more often and making him an AF.

RB = Sit Narrower

Your RB's main duty is defending against the oppositions wingers/wide men by asking him to sit narrower their left wingers/wide men could have the space to get past your defence and whip in crosses.

You've chosen a rigid philosophy but also added the team instruction "be more expressive" this is a possible conflict.

Last edited: