Advice for a critical time in youth

aslaram

Banned
Reaction score
Am Tottenham, 5 seasons in and planning ahead for 6th.

I have a number of 4-4.5 rated youngsters who will be 19/20 by the start of the 6th season.

The problem - Have amassed a few players and they're all coming through at the same time. There's no way I can develop them all, win trophies and keep my world class players happy.

How do you select what ones make it when there appears to be not much between them?
I have 4 DM's who all look pretty good, but I can't play them all and I'm already selling Vidal to give them game time. I have got the same problem with emerging strikers, DM's, LB's, RB's and CB's.
Interestingly, there's not one good regen for the wing or inside forward positions 5 seasons in!

Also - If I do sell them, how do I make sure I get the best possible fee, bearing in mind it's all based on potential. Obviously future sell on %, but it's value I'm struggling with. Do young regens go for good money based on potential? Never made it this far before with one team.

you could try retraining some of the players. if you've got a dm that likes to be a DLP then try making him a cm or if you've got either a rb or lb that is a wing back attack they might make a good lm or rm. that could help you out a little. in terms of selling them it might be better to alternate them between a season at the club and a season out on loan so you only have half of them at teh club at a time, that way you can play them for a season and the other season tehy will still be getting game time at another club. if you find you have to sell someone due to the number of players in that position then try and get ahigh % of selling on fee/ selling on profit and if you think they could become world class in the future maybe try and include a buy back price.

i would pick the best two from each position and sell on the other ones on. you could loan the lesser ones out for a season and the playing time will improve them and raise their value. they might come back and give you another headache or they could comeback with a tidy sale value.

Pick the ones that suit your formation and have the same name nationality as your club as priority and then see how much money you can get for the rest. Or just loan them out if they're still quite young.

They all suit my formation. Only position I don't play in my formation is AM which isn't a problem because my any AM's I buy can be trained to CM anyway.

Unfortunately the players I have are pretty much fixed when it comes to position as their stats only seem to enable them to play in their current trained positions.

All my players are of a similar level, hence the advice needed. I honestly don't know with some of them who is better.

Want to loan out players but the reputation of my club is affecting any loan deals. It's a 3 fold problem.
1 - small premier league clubs don't bid for my players.
2 - my youth turn down the clubs that do bid for them on loan.
3 - Clubs around my reputation and just under wouldn't play them, just use them as back up.

Buy back fee's a good idea. I'll look into that when it comes to it.

Does anyone have any handy tips on loaning out a player? I know exposure to first team games helps, but by then the young player thinks they'vee made it and it bites me on the *** because they then don't want to go on loan.

have you tried using player interaction to tell them that they will be loaned out to gain experience?

Does anyone have any handy tips on loaning out a player? I know exposure to first team games helps, but by then the young player thinks they'vee made it and it bites me on the *** because they then don't want to go on loan.

Get a good feeder club, the likes of (at the beginning of the game) Southampton or West Ham, who have great facilities, good staff and are always likely to hover around the top of the Championship or the bottom of the Premier League. Honestly there's no other way around it, if you have 5 players for the same position you're simply overstaffed, if you don't send them out on loan they'll be unhappy with their lack of football. It seems to me you've run into a pretty common luxury problem: too many good players.

Personally I keep to the rule of having three players per position in my XI: a first option, a rotating option and a backup (who is usually someone who plays in another position first but can swap if needed, like Bassong and Kaboul as fullbacks), obviously their wages are scaled accordingly (only having XI players on first team wages instead of 25 makes a massive difference). If you have too many players you're stuck: either you keep them and are spending money for players that do nothing to improve your club, or you sell with the probability that they will perform great at another club. So my advice would be to sell, preferrably to a club outside of England. As to who to sell, the youngsters or the older players:

- the obvious advantage of playing younger players is that they will ask for less wages, meaning higher profits for the club.
- of course older players will (usually) be better, so only sell them if you're sure your regens will become better than what you have now.
- I make an exception to that if my first teamers are about 29-30, as after that they might perform well, but they'll slowly start declining (depending on the player, of course), and their sale value drops significantly.
- If your youngsters are homegrown that offers several important advantages: not only for squad registration in the different competitions, but they'll also be more willing to remain at a club they've had their education at, and they will know you, the club and the players better.

So, in all, it's up to you. Either handle with the difficulties of an oversized squad, or make a tough call and sell.