Advice for newly promoted sides please?

Clakus

Reaction score
Hey all.
I just got promoted as Kidderminister Harriers (from the 5th Division of English Football) in my first season with them. I've never really managed a team this small before so any advice on..

• [*=center]How to survive and not be relegated back down
    [*=center]How to manage the finances
    [*=center]Who to sign
    [*=center]How to play
Would be really, really appreciated. Thanks in advance!

• [*=center]

See how the players play to your chosen formation.

I would have a back up defensive formation for against the bigger teams in the league so get them trained on that.

Look at current and future balances. This will give you an idea of how to play about with budgets however these can change. With Sunderland was project 8m then changed to -2m!!

Sign experienced players. Their experience in bigger leagues and matches will be more valuable to you at this time than a prospect who still needs to develop. Also, look for players with high speed or determination.

Don't blow through your whole wage budget. The board normally sets it at a level where you team will still be able to function in the black (make a profit) but you don't want to push it incase something changes financially. Also, you will make a larger profit if you are spending less.

Focus on defence. You wont be winning games if you can't defend. I always see it as being important to start from the back.

I will add to the great ideas already posted that loaning players from bigger teams can also help in wage/budget aspect

Having taking Huddersfield up first season, and from previous experiences on the game, I would say that i've found it really important not to change things too much - look to add quality not quantity to your squad because players will take time to settle, gel and learn the tactics by which point you are likely to not have made a good start which will lead to poor morale and so on etc.

Just my advice though!

Aim to have a solid squad instead of just two-three brilliant players.
Your players will end up tired and injured so blowing all your wages on that one CB isn't going to help if your backup is some grey player with 3 tackling.
Free transfers and loan deals are all you'll need to get up to the championship/league one and check them both often to see whos available.

Morale is key, more so than in the top leagues aim to keep your team happy and stick to a simple formation and playing style. If you can keep morale up and your team playing fairly decently you can easily go up to at least league one in one big run.

Physicals are more important than anything else for attacking players, if you can find a decent pacey striker who doesn't want massive wages sign him up and play counter attacking football.

So, the both ways is possible, right? :D

Yes i guess so - I was speaking more about promotion into the Premier League where the higher quality players are more expensive so you are unlikely to be able to afford a lot of top-quality players straight after promotion, but yes, i think if also depend on which league youre playing in?

So, the both ways is possible, right? :D

Haha well at first you'll just want a decent squad, high quality players take up most of your wages and tend to be a massive hit when injured.
That being said if you're able to do so go for a striker as they can usually carry your team for a season or two.

For me, at lower leagues its all about determination, pace and acceleration and fitness. Having this, promotion will be easier.