Leightz14

Reaction score
So after a few saves ive decided to try an come up with an idea to keep me immersed in that 1 long term project. So I was thinking about starting a save with Southampton. Many of you will be thinking 'a prem save that's not challenging or immersing'. But wait I was thinking of taking the reigns of the saints with a few changes, the change being would be I can only sign English/British players. So what I would do is only sign british players from the start but I wouldn't sell all my foreign players from the get go. Over the course of the first 2 seasons id sell my foreign stars an replace them with homegrown talent. I would do it this way because if I was to sell my top foreign talents Van Dijk, Tadic etc It would be incredibly tough to bring in homegrown players of sufficient quality to replace them.

My question or area I need advice is.....would I be able to afford/attract homegrown players with enough quality to challenge for major honours?

Also any tips on who to go after, players ideally that can improve me straight away...

My potential targets I was considering would be.

Berahino
Will Hughes
Lookman
Tom Davies
Dominic iorfa
Patrick Roberts

Can these players really take me to the next level.

Don't go for Berahino straight away (unless someone else comes in for him) his contract is due to finish at the end of the season and if you are lucky you can get him on the cheap (£3million compensation). However, the others will cost you big money.

View attachment 108314

Agreed re: Berahino (see above) and he's pretty consistent and will score goals.

I've tried to do something similar but find that you pay a real premium for British (English particularly...) which is fine if you have the cash, but otherwise you may have to be patient and wait for transfer listed/out of contracts or sign players early - a scout round the National U21/U18s is worth the time.

In addition to the above, Dozzell at Ipswich has pretty reasonable potential, Sessegnon at Fulham too.

Robertson & Snodgrass at Hull won't be worldbeaters but are pretty good squad players, similar with Oxford at West Ham. Oslade Chamberlain, Ings, Albrighton and Delph all went on end of contract in my game too - again, can be reasonable squad players.

All in all, pretty tough challenge to take on - good luck, but think you might be playing the long game!!