Advice on effectively signing players

Reaction score
So after buying FM2010 a while back, not being able to install it, finally installing it and playing it for a while before exams kicked in and me uninstalling it, I'm still a big ol' noob when it comes to being a football manager.

I've looked at tactics on this website, tried out various formations and I reckon I've got the basics of what player would fit a certain position. I can answer press conferences well enough so I don't incur any wrath from the players, and team talks don't seem to be having a detrimental effect, although I don't really see a boost.

I started with a created team where I basically stuck me and some mates in a made-up team and replaced Hull with them in the EPL. I finished 3rd in my first season - not due to any managerial skill of mine, but because a) the players I created are freakishly good and b) we got taken over by a consortium, and I was given ALOT of money to spend. So I did<)

HOWEVER.

Because of all this money, I was able to bid high and most of the time, my offers were accepted. Now I've finished this season to get me to grips with the game, I'm gonna' try and manage my local side (Stockport County) and not make a complete **** of myself - but one problem remains: signing players.

I have no experience of being able to bid properly due to the ludicrous amount of money I had at my created team, so say a player was worth £1.8m, I'd offer £2.7. Then they'd put their price up to £4.5m or something, and I'd be a little lost. Obviously at County, I won't be able to do this and will by-and-large be relying on freebies and over-the-hill ex-championship players. But does anybody have any good advice for signing players and not ******* away your budget on one semi-decent player? If anyone's got any other general advice about a new manager, please throw it out there - I have a helluva lot to learn 8-|

Some good advice for smaller clubs would first be selling players not just for initial fees but a constant income over a certain period, say you sold a player for 1 million, instead of having it all in one go, change it to 6, 12, 18, 24 months etc. That way you have a steady income coming in every month. After doing that, you can then buy player in the same way by trying to get them over so many months. Also i agree with the other guy who said use scout reports. I never did until FM10 and its worked brilliantly well. Just to through other options in id say loan deals but also trials can be helpful. If a player you are trying to sign accepts a trial he'd be happier when he joins cause he knows already what to expect and therefore might ask for cheaper wages which would be really benefitial cause any money you save in other areas of the club boosts the transfer kitty.

Sorry its abit wordy but i hope this helps.

Use filters. It makes things so much easier. Here is how I normally search for a player:

- Go to player search (Go to 'Your Manager Name' > Search > Players)
- Go Filter > Edit filter (at the top right)
- Add condition > Position you are looking for
- Then down the bottom right click Attributes. This allows you narrow down players via a selection of attributes that must match a certain value. If you don't really know what attributes are good for each position this is a pretty good guide.
- You can also set the filter to allow players that match a certain number of the required attributes by using the 'Attributes to Match' field in the bottom right if you want to add some leeway. You can also adjust all attributes to match up or down using the buttons at the bottom right if you are not getting enough hits.
- Keep adjusting your search and you should get who you are looking for.

Another tip - To search for players who are free agents. Add the 'Value' condition and set it to 0.

Thanks alot, all this advice is gonna prove really useful. I was thinking I could go even further down the league pyramid and start with other local clubs, like Macclesfield or Blyth Spartans. Is there any trick to training? Because from what I've heard, it seems quite important to develop players. And also, how is it possible to re-train a player to a different position?