Advices for tactic | Liverpool 2nd season

grosso158

Reaction score
hello everybody.
im in my second season with liverpool, after 23 games in 7th position.
im finding it hard to get consistency and win games.
ill appreciate it if you could look at my tactic and instruction and giving me advices and things you think need improvement.

View attachment 122638

View attachment 122637

also, my wingback got 'get further forward' and 'cross more often'.

im conceeding a lot of goals from through balls that going beyond my defence and finding the opp striker in front of the goal. the offside trap and normal defencive line doesnt seem to help.

ty very much!

Pressing instructions:
fluid formation (no DM or WB)
higher tempo
If you want to win the ball quickly, you should push your defensive line higher
If you want pressing to be efficient, you should play narrower
Mentality should be counter
fluidity should be fluid, no roaming
Passing should be direct
You should be shooting on sight and playing more disciplined
offside trap
no tackling instruction is needed if you want to avoid fouls

Possession instructions (opposite of above):
formation that suits it, layered, structured
agressive mentality like control
deeper line,
closing down less
wider width
lower tempo
shorter passing
be more expressive
work ball into box
tight marking

If you want both of these worlds, and use both pressing and short passing, it is achievable with flexible, standard approach and a formation like 4-1-4-1 DM (pep guardiola style)

Last edited:
You concede a lot of through balls because you're leaving the midfield open. A BWM isn't a holding midfielder because he chases around like a madman to close down opponents. This is great, but leaves huge amounts of space in front of the defence.

You have far too many instructions and you're leaving the flanks open as everyone surges forward. I really don't understand Look for Overlap, but then at the same time Exploiting both Flanks which pushes the same midfielders you just told to be deeper, further up the field.

I suspect you're not creating chances because for some reason you have Retain Possession which reduces through balls/passes into space/risky passes for all players and this drastically reduces passing options.

ty very much both.
what would you suggest do with the open midfield? drop the bwm to dm position with anchor or dm instruction?

instead of the bwm, take him down and give him anchor?
and what do you think of making the dlp an bwm to support the pressing?

your current setup:

striker with support duty
attacking mid and wingers with attack duty
one central mid on defend(CMd or DLPd) , and one on attack duty
2 FBs, 2CDd, And SKs

Last edited:
instead of the bwm, take him down and give him anchor?
and what do you think of making the dlp an bwm to support the pressing?
Definitely. Replace the BWM with a BWM.

I like to try to keep my initial instructions very basic so that if I have to make adjustments in the match, you can actually see if it works. It gives you more options. So for me, I play at a lower tempo, possession-based 4-3-3 (also with Liverpool right now) and the tactics I try to start each match with are:

Lower Tempo
Retain Possession (mixed passing)
Slightly Higher line
Close Down More
Play out of Defense

If my players don't have much time on the ball, I'll put 'Roam from Positions' on. If at the 20' mark, we've only had 1-2 shots, I'll tick 'More Expressive', etc.

Starting simplistic made a huge difference for me because you can adapt according to the match rather than trying to set up the perfect tactic from the beginning and leaving yourself with few options to change the game. Try to set your tactic as simple as possible according to the style you want to play so that any changes made will have an impact.