Afghanistan War... Britains Vietnam??

Anthony

Slide to unlock
Reaction score
Firstly, it's quite a serious thread here guys but I would really appreciate your opinions on this subject.
Secondly, if anybody here has lost anybody in the war, I apologise if this thread is upsetting for you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember the aftermath of the final US troops pulling out of Saigon in the seventies and fear I will see the same thing repeated in a few years time in afghanistan.

A war against an army can eventually be won, but a war against a belief and an ideal?? Thats a different story altogether.
The resources of an army will eventually be depleted and they will no longer have any fresh meat to send to the slaughter.
The taliban on the other hand, can never be defeated (unfortunately) in my opinion.
For every 16 year old who dies with his boots on, there is another 20 eleven year olds being groomed to hate and fight. When they are fighting and dying, there are yet another batch of kids being brainwashed into fighting 'the good fight'.

I come from a military family and served my time in the Irish defence forces and I feared a long, costly and drawn out war for any country who stepped foot in afghanistan.
I think my fears have been realised.

Remember guys, this is the country that effectively broke up the USSR.

Your thoughts on this subject would be very welcome.

Ive changed the thread title from Englands to Britains as its not just English soldiers fighting and dying out there,its Welsh,Scottish and Northern Irish etc.

Is this even a war.. We are fighting an extremist religion, is it a fight we really need to have or are we still there because it's too late to back out? I would think that the only reason we haven't left Afghanistan is because they will think they have "won".. Not that I know much about politics etc.

Ive changed the thread title from Englands to Britains as its not just English soldiers fighting and dying out there,its Welsh,Scottish and Northern Irish etc.

Thanks.
You will notice that I tried to edit it but it wouldnt allow me to edit the title.

Is this even a war.. We are fighting an extremist religion, is it a fight we really need to have or are we still there because it's too late to back out? I would think that the only reason we haven't left Afghanistan is because they will think they have "won".. Not that I know much about politics etc.

What people have to think now is "Is it worth maybe hundreds more deaths just because we don't want them to think they have won". We should have never gone in there anyway and maybe if we hadn't it could have also stopped the attacks on the 7th of July. I know little about the subject but that is my opinion.

hi im 14 years old and i think about everyone in the country ,except the politicians, knows that we shouldnt be sending troops there. you cannot fight a group when they ambush and bomb you when you cant even see a taliban in sight. the troops are doing there job 100% , the politcians are doing there job 100% WRONG!!!!

We cant back out now we are in this. I have alot of faith in our brave troops fighting and believe we will overcome the religous extremists. Dont ever forget the atrocities of 9/11 and the July bombings. Thats why those men and women are out there putting their lives on the line. The government need a kick up the **** for the reason they are not supplying the troops with the proper equipment to fight this war thats why there has been so many british soldiers killed.

It's better to have the war fought over there than over here. I know we have lost alot of troops, but by pulling out now, the deaths so far will be in vein and leave us open to terrorist attacks in the UK.

The government need a kick up the **** for the reason they are not supplying the troops with the proper equipment to fight this war thats why there has been so many british soldiers killed.

This reminds me of the reasons cited by the flag waving american people for the failures in Vietnam.

What equipment do you believe they are missing that will help them win this fight?

Last edited:
The roadside bomb detector vans are outdated for a start and did you see about the bullet proof vests that were issued and then found they had not been tested properly and not up to scratch. Its things like these that are costing the forces lives. It infuriates me they send these people to war and cant provide the proper equipment to help them.

Its a war we cant win. I have lost a friend over there, who was killed in a IED blast. well over 200 British people have died in a war, which to be honest isnt ours to fight.The Taliban etc. just keep on regrouping, and it will end in disaster.