AGF - From Fencing Around to Footballing Kings.

Reaction score
An AGF Story

Introduction

After reading many successful FM14 manager stories I thought I would finally start up my first one and share it. Now I must warn you that I didn't take any screenshots as I was playing the first season because I debated with myself whether or not it was worth sharing my story with you all, but I pulled together some screenshots from the first season and you should get the gists of it. Also I'm using LFCMarshall's latest transfer update so things might be a bit different.

I hope you enjoy following my story and any comments are welcome.

View attachment 353191

History

Aarhus Gymnastikforening (AGF, AGF Aarhus or De Hvi'e) is one of the oldest sports club in Denmark. The club was founded in 1880, mainly with gymnastics but also fencing as the main sports, though AGF later introduced a variety of other activities, including football.

AGF play their homes games at NRGi Park and have adequate training facilities, poor youth facilities, average junior coaching and an above average youth recruitment network. The club's training ground is Fredensvang, bane 1.

View attachment 353164

AGF has the longest streak in the Danish top division and also holds the record for the most number of cup wins, with 9 in their trophy cabinet. They have won the Danish Superliga 5 times with their latest win coming in 1986 and have won the Danish First Division 4 times. AGF still retains a fierce rivalry with Brondby IF and Randers FC. The furthest they have ever got in the Champions League is the quarter-final stage after losing 3-1 to Benfica in 1961.

Story Aims

1.) Become the first Danish team to win the Champions League.
2.) Become the first Danish team to win the Europa League (If I win the CL first then this will be void).
3.) To have won the most Superliga titles in Denmark (Brondby IF hold the record at 10, we have 5).

Last edited:
First Season

View attachment 353036

Expectations

I'm expected to win the First Division title this season and to reach at least the quarter-finals in the Danish Cup.

Bookies Odds

The bookies are predicting us to finish first and to be honest with the quality we have in our team compared to the rest of the league we should easily achieve that.

Tactics

I shall be using Sir Goalalot by TheWibe and Goal2581999 which you'll find linked below, as I think it suits my team best and I trust this tactic.

View attachment 353075

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/share-download-fm-14-tactics/166450-sir-goalalot-14-3-1-4-2-3-1-a.html

Transfers

All in all I thought I had a very successful transfer window and helped boost the clubs financials with the players I shipped out.

View attachment 353126

Out

I sold defender Arthur Sorin to Randers FC as I feel he did not merit his £2,200 p.w wages. Casper Sloth our best player at the club requested a transfer and was soon shipped off to Stoke City for £3.5m, which broke the record at AGF for highest transfer fee received. Multiple teams in the Championship were after our creative winger Akharraz but I wouldn't budge on my £1m valuation and eventually Leeds put in a £1m bid and off he went. The same story applies to our backup striker Vatsadze and eventually my valuation was matched by Qatar SC and off he went as well.

View attachment 353094 View attachment 353095 View attachment 353093 View attachment 353092

In

As you can see I managed to get Man City defender Boyata in on loan for the season as a direct replacement for Arthur Sorin, but because City are a parent club I didn't have to pay him any wages. I also got the promising young FC Midtjylland midfielder Andre Romer in on a season long loan as we lacked depth in the middle. Finally I managed to snap up the well known Kasper Kusk from FC Twente as a replacement for both Sloth and Akharraz.

View attachment 353091

Key Players

Hopefully these guys can step up this season and help us challenge for the title.

View attachment 353090 View attachment 353089

View attachment 353088 View attachment 353091 View attachment 353087

Promising Youngsters

View attachment 353086 View attachment 353085 View attachment 353084 View attachment 353083

Pre-Season Friendlies (23/6/13 - 22/7/13)

View attachment 353082

I thought we had a very productive pre-season beating some quality teams in Bremen and Fiorentina, but the loss against Stade Brestois 29 shows we still have some work to do.

View attachment 353081View attachment 353080View attachment 353079

Last edited:
View attachment 353035

Start of the Season (27/7/13 - 29/8/13)

View attachment 353069

We make a fantastic start to the season and currently hold a 5 match unbeaten streak in the league, scoring 20 goals and only conceding once in the league, with David Devdariani picking up our first hat-trick of the season against Marienlyst. We also recorded 2 relatively comfortable wins in the Danish Cup as we advance to the 3rd round.

View attachment 353068 View attachment 353067 View attachment 353066

Last edited:
View attachment 353034

The Month of September (1/9/13 - 29/9/13)

View attachment 353065

We carry our great form into the next month, racking up 4 wins out of 5 games in the league and scoring 16 goals whilst only conceding 4. But we recorded our first draw of the campaign in a game we really should've won if our finishing was better, in the end we had to rely on Boyata to even it up with a powerful header from a corner in the 91st minute. In the cup we picked up a comfortable 2-0 win against our main rivals Brondby IF, they didn't even manage to get a shot on target against us and we move on to the 4th round.

View attachment 353061 View attachment 353059 View attachment 353058 View attachment 353056

Last edited:
View attachment 353033

The Month of October (6/10/13 - 31/10/13)

View attachment 353044

View attachment 353039

As it stands it looks like the title is ours to lose, just look at the goal difference already. The game against Vejle signals the end of the first period in the league as we move on into the second period with comfortable wins against Lyngby and Marienlyst, with a bore 0-0 draw coming against AC Horsens but we maintain our unbeaten streak scoring 10 goals and conceding once. We also pick up a good home win against Superliga side Silkeborg in the Danish Cup and we advance into the quarter-finals.

View attachment 353043
View attachment 353042 View attachment 353041

Just a little information on the league format in Denmark for you. It is split up into 3 periods with 11 matches played in each period, the first, second and final period. I think the league is broken up like this because of the winter break, but I'm not to sure.

Last edited:
View attachment 353030

The Months of November and December (3/11/13 - 4/12/13)

View attachment 353031

It doesn't look like anyone can stop us at the moment, we win all 4 of our league games in November scoring 12 goals and conceding once. As it stands in the league we have scored 58 goals whilst only conceding 7 times. I know one thing it's going to take something big to stop this run of ours. However we're also having a great cup run as we beat Superliga side AaB 3-2 at home in the quarter-finals, next in the semis we face arguably the best team in Denmark right now FC Kobenhavn.

View attachment 353029 View attachment 353028 View attachment 353027

Last edited:
View attachment 353026

Winter Break/ Mid-Season Friendlies (23/2/14 - 19/3/14)

View attachment 353025

So the winter break is upon us and as it stands we're top of the league and into the semis of the Danish Cup, life as AGF's manager isn't that bad. But we now move onto the winter break friendlies in a bid to keep up the players fitness levels so they're ready for competitive football again. We manage to carry our superior league form into these friendlies winning all of our matches, whilst recording a big 5-0 win with promising forward Solberg netting a hat-trick and an easy 6-1 win at home with Lange grabbing 4 goals for himself.

View attachment 353024 View attachment 353023