The first bit you've posted is 100% correct, the second is another myth. **** happens, get over it. The game doesn't purposely make you lose just because you're on a huge winning streak.

Exactly, I have once been in a merciless 80 match unbeaten run in the premier league!(6) but then Nottm forest defeated our team!! :S

AI DOES NOT LEARN YOUR FORMATION, THAT IS A MYTH.

What happens is that no team wins all games, so when you are on a huge winning streak, the games generates a code which gives weaker teams huge odds to defeat you, that is all ^.
wrong totally wrong. SI have stated that there is categorically no rigging of that kind in the game at all

Simple ways to delay the opposition learning your tactic are-
-Have some players 'Swap' during the game.
-Have your starting strategy on standard and change during the game to what you need.
-Play different styles of player in the same role e.g Lennon runs at defenders whereas Bentley crosses.
-Occaisionally swap the role of a player.

Crikey, different viewpoints to ponder. I don't know what to think. Any programmers/developers here who built the game?

This is just a myth. Im pretty sure failing toward the end if because of motivation. I dont believe the AI is smart enough to work out your tactics.

This is just a myth. Im pretty sure failing toward the end if because of motivation. I dont believe the AI is smart enough to work out your tactics.

Agree, in combination with facing teams that starts to flood the midfield against you as a result of finding the need to be more defensive against you. Less motivation, complacent, not putting in an effort at the same time as the opponent plays it tight and with fired up players equals lost points

Agree, in combination with facing teams that starts to flood the midfield against you as a result of finding the need to be more defensive against you. Less motivation, complacent, not putting in an effort at the same time as the opponent plays it tight and with fired up players equals lost points
exactly this. if you fail to deal with complacency its a killer at the end of the season. i use 3 formations based around the same framework, and utilise shouts, and i have a pretty good grip on team talks, as it stand ive kept it away from my side and i sit 5 points ahead of spurs, with them ahving played 33 games, and me 30. title is most likely mine

I used the same 433 tactic on FM2010 for about 50 seasons in a row and have done the same on FM2011 for about 20-30 seasons in a row including an unbeaten run of over 100 games in Serie A. AI never seems to work it out. As for the game being coded for a small team to beat you after a winning run, I think this is just chance. I've replayed matches after my PC has crashed forcing me to load an older save game and the results can be completely different. I think that better quality CPU managers will counter your tactics for a particular match, but no gain long term. I've also read in forums and noticed while playing that the higher your team finishes one season, the more defensive teams will play against you next season. This can result in strange hi/lo alternate season finishes.

Yeah I've used Goals Galore for approaching 15 in-game years and my success has always been based on the team I'm able to field... I've never experienced any AI learning your formation at all

There's no need to use 2 to 3 formation in 1 season. If you take a look at some legendary tactics out there ( JP's, Goals Galore,etc) that they only create 1 plug n play tactic that works a treat without many tweaks. Although some change to your tactic is needed depend on your players, opposition,etc

Like some people have already clarified, the AI doesn't "learn" your tactic in the way that some people say it does. That being said, having different formations can definitely be to your advantage. I usually have at least 2 tactics in my match preparation, my normal one plus a more defensive one. The defensive one has an anchor man instead of one of the attackers, so I can replace one of my strikers with a DMC for example.

Well, I'm on my fifth season and been using the same tactic for that stretch. On my first four seasons, I only lost twice both on single goal margin. Currently on my fifth season, I already have two defeats - 1-2 against Madrid and an unacceptable 0-2 against Betis, snapping my 170+ undefeated streak. Moreover, I have more games which ended on a draw, more games where we conceded at least 1 goal, and more games where we have to fight back from 1 goal down. I haven't made any transfers before the start of my fifth season as I have an excess of young quality players.

At first I was thinking if it was due to the fact that I accidentally chosen minimum size of pitch which doesn't suit my team/tactic who plays wide and maximizes wingers and fullbacks. But I was getting mixed results at home. Sometimes I won by rout, sometimes its close, sometimes its draw. But not a lost.

I started tweaking the tactic, adding swapping among my wingers and strikers particularly, and I started winning and dominating again. What do you think

Last edited:
There is a hidden stat for human manager called tactial consistency. It's a fact. Sometime the game gives it away by massages that the opposing team knows what to expect from you. Once I had an interesting occasion: used 4-5-1 for most of the season and switched to 4-2-2-2 at the very end. When supporters decided the team of the year they still distributed it by 4-5-1. So what i'm saying the game DOES keep track of your tactical consistency and it is natural to conclude if you use some tactics too much it will get worse results with time via match engine.

Last edited:
There is a hidden stat for human manager called tactial consistency. It's a fact. Sometime the game gives it away by massages that the opposing team knows what to expect from you. Once I had an interesting occasion: used 4-5-1 for most of the season and switched to 4-2-2-2 at the very end. When supporters decided the team of the year they still distributed it by 4-5-1. So what i'm saying the game DOES keep track of your tactical consistency and it is natural to conclude if you use some tactics too much it will get worse results with time via some matching algorithm.

Yes. the game keeps track, but the thing is, that this is just a stat based on the way you play, nothing more then that. If you have a match plan that works really good for your team, its still going to work just as good in 10 years if the circumstances are the same

read that. From my experience with previous FM's (have been playing FM 2011 too little to make statements) the consistent use of only 1 tactics on a streak of longer than 1 season DOES make it perform worse. After discovering tactical consistency stat I think when it goes too high the AI aplies some sort of quoficient to your players stats (>1.0) or to the opposition (<1.0). Guess it works the same way as fitness level does (or when your team is unfamiliar with new tactics) but on the whole team. It is very easy to implement and it has nothing to do with AI actually learning, that is absurd, yes. On the other hand if you know 100% how match engine works and there are no such clauses in the algorithm I'll willingly give up on that. Do you?

Last edited:
read that. From my experience with previous FM's (have been playing FM 2011 too little to make statements) the consistent use of only 1 tactics on a streak of longer than 1 season DOES make it perform worse. After discovering tactical consistency stat I think when it goes too high the AI aplies some sort of quoficient to your players stats or to the opposition. Guess it works the same way as fitness level does but on the whole team. It is very easy to implement and it has nothing to do with AI actually learning, that is absurd, yes. On the other hand if you know 100% how match engine works and there are no such clauses in the algorithm I'll willingly give up on that. Do you?

if you read stuff by wwfan (who wrote TT&F 09 and 10 and helped develop the TC and ME), there is no such clause

can you give some links to his understanding/knowledge of how match engine DOES work?

Its just hard to believe that SI have put this code into the game and then, when being asked about it( and make sure they have), they deniy it. Now, why would they make a game less good ?